Looking for a good chicken pre made spice

Darryl, here is a suggestion. Just about every spice can be used on chicken. So, have you tried mixing a little from one bottle and a little from another (or more bottles, depending on how many you have) to make a different taste blend?

When I’m roasting a whole bird, I’ve started using fresh tarragon in the cavity with a lemon, marvelous!
A lot of Brits pronounce it “Wooster” so there ya sillies!🤪

Having a hard time locating it other than their site which possible is not Canada friendly.
I will look harder, I like those guys and the spices are nice and fresh....a little bit expensive but worth it to me.

Plowboy's Yardbird

500pby_plowboys_yardbird.png

Whatever you use I would at least brine or Mari brine or marinade first.
Like Doug D pointed out, todays supermarket chickens are pretty bland.
Truth be told! I always buy Perdue Oven Stuffers if I’m using the rotisserie - they’re tasty.

Whatever you use I would at least brine or Mari brine or marinade first.
Like Doug D pointed out, todays supermarket chickens are pretty bland.
Yeah I have been growing some chickens at my Mother's farm. She generally takes most of the care of them but it is pretty awesome to do.
Not that they are going to be much different but we bought them very tiny and raise them to eat.
It doesn't take too long either. I do buy chicken from the poultry butcher locally to me if I run out.

Now I am obsessing over the Oakridge website again.
I thought I got over that, I do really like their stuff and will probably order that brand.
No one seems to like the Harry Soo's option and I don't have many choices from my usual buying locations.

Now I am obsessing over the Oakridge website again.
I thought I got over that, I do really like their stuff and will probably order that brand.
No one seems to like the Harry Soo's option and I don't have many choices from my usual buying locations.
Buy one of everything and report back or just use SPG.

Last edited:
I am with Jeff and Timothy. After trying a cupboard full of store bought concoctions I find I use SPG more often now. For specific tastes like teriyaki SPG doesn’t cut it but day to day, it’s SPG with smoked paprika added.

I’ll throw in on this and I’ve tried a lot of rubs and seasonings both store bought and homemade but Cajun Shake is the one we go to for everything. Great on steak, bird, pork, veggies and popcorn. Not over salty or too spicy which spicy is ok but not on everything. Try it along with Panola Gourmet pepper sauce.

Attachments

• 33C92C91-C895-40ED-A5E8-F8998FB28286.png
    33C92C91-C895-40ED-A5E8-F8998FB28286.png
    660.5 KB · Views: 1
I am with Jeff and Timothy. After trying a cupboard full of store bought concoctions I find I use SPG more often now. For specific tastes like teriyaki SPG doesn’t cut it but day to day, it’s SPG with smoked paprika added.
I went through the same process as you did. I find SPG works better on butts than any of the commercial products for me. I add a bit of brown sugar to the butt when I foil to rest.

Curve ball, a nice steak seasoning that’s a little different is a product called “Mingionette pepper” from Penzeys. It has some cracked coriander in it, not overpowering but, I’ve not tried it on chicken.

Back