Looking for a good chicken pre made spice

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Diamond Member
Looking for a good pre made Chicken rub.
Not really picky on what is in it but just something that really tastes good.
It can be mellow as I can add my own heat to things.
I would be using this on rotisserie chickens, as well as wings and other dark pieces like thighs and drums.
Also sometimes on breast.
Wings almost always come out very dark when using Killer Hogs bbq rubs. It is good but just need to be able to have a change when I want it.

All recommendations welcome as long as you have tried it before.

Anyone tried this before....I would like to think he wouldn't put out a bad product.
1623082483292.png

I've been using Cuisinart's Blue Ribbon Chicken, got it at Walmart. Seems to do well, adds some nice flavor and color. I also have a large bottle of McCormick's Montreal Chicken that someone gave me, it is very good also. That said, prior to getting those two, I mostly used just SPG with a little paprika for color and cumin for flavor. Very good on wings. Hope this helps.

Charlie

Thyme + rosemary. Bay leaf (cracked) and a three finger pinch of salt. Plus three fingers of turmeric and hot paprika each. Finally finish with rubbing with olive oil both over and under the skin.

Is it because of the pre bottles rub?
I would like to think a lot of good things are put in the shaker ( lots of bad too ), it is a pretty big market and a lot of people win these competitions and then bottle the flavor.
I don't like to make a spice rub every time I just want to whip up some wings and some of what I have been using is really good.

Darryl, just bumped up a recipe for "The Best Da**ed Grilled Chicken I Ever Ate" from Paul Prudhomme. It calls for a lot of spices. That is for whenever you get in the mood. ;) :)

I'm not really up to date on what all the emoji's mean.....I also don't own a cell phone.......but I think I can manage this one.
I nailed it with my first guess and you don't like pre made rubs, and you are not sure why I do.
:p
That's what I am going with anyways.
I have been getting all the stuff ready for el pastor tacos recently as they are really my favorite taco's.....that and barbacoa.
Anyways the ingredient list and the amount chilis and all the stuff I actually cannot find around here is making it hard.
But I found this
What do you think Joan?

1623087446859.png
1623087461704.png

Darryl, just funing with you. Yes, you guessed right.

Re: the spice blend you posted. Do they tell you what is in it? That is a lot of money. But, if it appeals to you, go for it. We only live once (so some people say) . I have a taco recipe that I have been using for almost 50 years, but we change it up once in a while and try different taco spice recipes. Variety is the spice.......etc. lol

A post snuck in before I hit the go button Joan.
I don't know what is in the seasoning for the el pastor blend.....what I do know is making it from scratch there is over 20 ingredients on the list and I don't have many, or do I want to purchase some I have to throw out because I didn't need them all.....
While I like to spend some time getting food prepped and ready I don't like to spend more than a couple of hours doing it, then spend another 4 to 6 making the food on the bbq ( the fun part ) .
I am probably going to buy the el pastor one, probably lean towards my own rub if this works out pretty good, a few runs down the road.

The main concern is finding a really good chicken rub.
While Montreal chicken and all those generic ones are okay I would like to find something like a Harry Soo style rub to try out.
Just looking for recommendations from anyone who has tried something and likes it.
Especially if you tried the Harry Soo blend, I can get my hands on that via mail.

Darryl, IF you ever want to make your own rub and it calls for spices that you feel you won't use often. don't worry. I have recipes calling for just about every spice you can buy. You can use them all up in no time. ;)

Darryl, IF you ever want to make your own rub and it calls for spices that you feel you won't use often. don't worry. I have recipes calling for just about every spice you can buy. You can use them all up in no time. ;)
It sounds like our yours and my ambition levels might be a little bit different.......:p.
While I love cooking and wish I could do more of it all the time I just don't have the time, work 100% gets in the way.

The ones I bought/used are garlic & herb w/ butter and sea salt and Butchers all purpose. ( both great on chicken)
I have a wood fired garlic and Italian chop house I've yet to use.

Back