Looking at the 22" WSM -- couple questions

Jason.Willims

Hey everyone.
I hope everyone is well. I have a few questions for a future WSM owner that I was hoping to get some feedback on.
Been a long time gas griller and dabbled with a simple weber kettle this past year. It has been a very nice experience, and I am looking to up my game with a new WSM.

I like the weber product line and would like to get a dedicated smoker and after lots and lots of reading, youtube videos, reviews, I have settled in on the 22" WSM.
Couple questions I wanted to ask.

I like the idea of hanging ribs (ribs are super popular in my family and with friends) and have seen some kits that work with the WSM. Any thoughts on this approach? I believe it would allow me to hang more ribs at one time, similar to something like the Pit Barrel cooker?
If that is an ok approach, I had this wild idea about how could I cook/smoke multiple items at once in the WSM. With the two grate levels, would it be possible to say cook ribs on hangars on one side and maybe a pork butt or two on one or both grates? I am trying to get creative based on some pictures I have seen on some WSM and other barrel type cookers.

Capacity is a big item for me. I am opting for the bigger WSM model because it gives me flexibility and options to cook more. I'd love to figure out how I can cook more things on the WSM (whether its ribs, chicken, brisket, chili, veggies etc. etc.....) it gives me a reason to BBQ/smoke more.

I am very excited to get my WSM and looking forward to learning more on how to use it.
Really appreciate the help.

Jason

Last edited:
With the two grate levels, would it be possible to say cook ribs on hangars on one side and maybe a pork butt or two on one or both grates? I am trying to get creative based on some pictures I have seen on some WSM and other barrel type cookers.
I own all three sizes of WSM, I have the Hunsaker rib hanger for all of them and if you cut the ribs in half then you can use the second grate to put four 8 to 10lbs butts! Hunsaker makes a lot of accesories for the WSM and Weber kettle.
Even with cutting them in half you can still smoke a lot of ribs probably like 10 to 12 cut in half.versa-hanging-rack-for-225-wsm-128783.jpg

O now that is very interesting indeed.
I like that a lot. How many ribs can you hang with that setup? Should they be cut in half or can the be full length?
One more wild idea. Could you run a hinged crate that swings down so you could hang a few racks on one side, have half a grate and another full grate to cook on?
I am really liking what I am seeing!! Thank you.

Maybe you've already seen these:

I know Weber used to offer a hanger, I think it was a rib and sausage hanger. You may be able to find one NOS (new old stock) or maybe on an online supplier. I don’t have the number handy but I’ll see if I can dig it up.

Congrats and enjoy! I’ve convinced myself I should probably grab one myself. Look forward to your first runs!

I am happy with the Hunsaker hanger set I just got for my 18.
I like running a heat defuser with it above the coals.
Mine is the Hunsaker vortex heat defuser but the fire dial one looks very promising too.

I find that the hanger makes a lot of new real estate and the heat defusers adds amazing flavor.
The hanger kits give the wsm the ability to perform like a drum cooker but have a few advantages over the drum imo.

I know Weber used to offer a hanger, I think it was a rib and sausage hanger. You may be able to find one NOS (new old stock) or maybe on an online supplier. I don’t have the number handy but I’ll see if I can dig it up.
Weber 7472 for the 18.5" Expandable Smoking Rack, Weber 7473 for the 22.5" Expandable Smoking Rack.

710h645dkbL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

You rarely see the Weber racks for sale anymore, they have been discontinued for a long time now. I have the Weber 7473, used mainly for smoking sausage. What I like best about the Weber rack as opposed to the competition is that its collapsible & can be stored without taking up much space.

Last edited:
This is really helpful information.
One last question I had after doing some more reading last night on the 18" and 22".
My initial thought was to grab the 22".
I read the "WSM Cooking Capacity" linked provided above:

It got me thinking and I started to now think should I get the 18 to start with.
Figure at this time right now, I mostly cook for my family (family of 5......ribs, chicken, chili.....)
I thought about what I would want to start cooking for my immediate family and at some point, more family and friends.
That said, could I do a setup with the 18" where say, I could hang three racks of ribs on one side, but then maybe use a hinged crate to cook a pork butt? Or cook 3 racks of ribs and a whole chicken or two chicken halves? I am thinking on how I can maximize my cooking needs and have flexibility. Is that doable on the 18, or would the extra space on the 22" be the better way to go?

The last question I would ask is, is there a huge difference in the amount of fuel the 22 uses over the 18?

Thank you again!

This is really helpful information.
One last question I had after doing some more reading last night on the 18" and 22".
My initial thought was to grab the 22".
I read the "WSM Cooking Capacity" linked provided above:

It got me thinking and I started to now think should I get the 18 to start with.
Figure at this time right now, I mostly cook for my family (family of 5......ribs, chicken, chili.....)
I thought about what I would want to start cooking for my immediate family and at some point, more family and friends.
That said, could I do a setup with the 18" where say, I could hang three racks of ribs on one side, but then maybe use a hinged crate to cook a pork butt? Or cook 3 racks of ribs and a whole chicken or two chicken halves? I am thinking on how I can maximize my cooking needs and have flexibility. Is that doable on the 18, or would the extra space on the 22" be the better way to go?

The last question I would ask is, is there a huge difference in the amount of fuel the 22 uses over the 18?

Thank you again!
Regarding fuel usage, I have the 22 & I use an ATC (automatic temperature controller) with it as well a different charcoal assembly, see link below.

The arborfab accessories have larger capacity, but also more airflow. In my set-up I have went close to 20 hours on probably 15-18lbs of coal & still had some left over. You will learn to conserve fuel with the vents & trying to keep the WSM away from wind. Just my .02.

WSM 22" on sale now at Amazon, the 18" is not

I have had the 18" since 2009. It has served me well. I even competed in a local BBQ competition using it and made Ribs, PorkButt, and Chicken, simultaniously on the 18" (Got second in Chicken, in case you were wondering).

I am now considering a 22", but It will get a lot less use than the 18". There have been only a handful of cooks, where I wish I had more space. But hey, when you need more space, you need more space. For that reason, after 15 years, I think I might get the 22"

@Jason.Willims - I just stumbled upon this thread today and am curious if you have gotten your WSM and which size you ultimately ended up getting.

For what it's worth, I started with the 18" WSM about 11 years ago and still love it. I've done a couple of 4-butt cooks and at several sparerib cooks ranging from 6 to 9* racks of spareribs (the 9th rack actually was cooked on a kettle but still counts toward the total rack count ) and only wished for a 22" (or a second 18") a couple of times. And that's mostly because I have a family of 5 and while my kids are still relatively young, they are growing and eating more. So it's possible that I will need to augment/supplement my smoking arsenal at some point. For now though I am "content" with the 18" WSM knowing that I also have a 22" and an 18" kettle that can be used to supplement my cooking space. This is especially true when trying to make an entire meal. I often will do ribs or something in the WSM and use the kettle(s) for sides like corn on the cob or roasting brussels sprouts or potatoes. Although my last cook was all done on the WSM. . . After taking the overnight brisket off for its rest, I removed the foiled water bowl, supplemented the remaining charcoal and added a little smoke wood then roasted some brussels sprouts on the bottom rack with potatoes on the top. It was a great dinner, and the only thing that wasn't cooked on the WSM was the mac & cheese.

BrisketPlate.jpg

Anyway, though I'm sure you've figured this part out already, the point is that a WSM, regardless of the size, is versatile and and great cooker!

Welcome to the TVWBB family and looking forward to seeing some awesome WSM cooks from you!

Back