Looking at buying a 22in kettle and already thinking about "upgrades"

I will be the Devils advocate here.

I like the slow n sear (S n S) I always have.
It filled a need I once had but,

One of the reasons for me giving the S n S a lower rating than some other mods on my kettle was that adding a WSM into the mix took a good portion of the S n S’s work load away or rather basically replaced it.

I mean I still use the slow n sear for a reverse sear on steaks and tri tips but the truth is I sometimes add additional hot coals to help get a better sear temperature when it’s time to sear and I’ve never enjoyed doing that.

Also most of the S n S cooks can easily be done other ways if you think about it, like using baskets with a few fire bricks, the snake method w/a water pan (which used to be my “go to”) or whatever but mods like a vortex or a rotisserie are not easily replaceable if at all.

Currently most all of my low and slow cooks like ribs, pork shoulders, and briskets are done on the used WSM I picked up rather than my S n S.

Last but not least used WSM is about the same price as a S n S.

I will be the Devils advocate here.

I like the slow n sear (S n S) I always have.
It filled a need I once had but,

One of the reasons for me giving the S n S a lower rating than some other mods on my kettle was that adding a WSM into the mix took a good portion of the S n S’s work load away or rather basically replaced it.

I mean I still use the slow n sear for a reverse sear on steaks and tri tips but the truth is I sometimes add additional hot coals to help get a better sear temperature when it’s time to sear and I’ve never enjoyed doing that.

Also most of the S n S cooks can easily be done other ways if you think about it, like using baskets with a few fire bricks, the snake method w/a water pan (which used to be my “go to”) or whatever but mods like a vortex or a rotisserie are not easily replaceable if at all.

Currently most all of my low and slow cooks like ribs, pork shoulders, and briskets are done on the used WSM I picked up rather than my S n S.

Last but not least used WSM is about the same price as a S n S.
I gotcha, and would love a WSM someday, but we don't have the space at the moment, and I am NOT getting rid of my redhead Genesis :)

I purchased the drip n griddle pan in stainless and have never even used it once.
While I am sure it does the job very well, it has to be cleaned after each use I would presume.
I always line my Stainless DripNGriddle Pan with heavy duty aluminum foil which makes clean-up a breeze. IME lining the inner bowl with solely aluminum foil created a mini disaster a few times due to my tearing or punchering the foil when lifting off the bowl creating a greasy mess. I have never used it as a griddle due to the possible warping issue, however, IMO the “Drip” part in catching all that Chicken/Pork/Beef Drippings/Grease is what makes this an outstanding kettle accessories in protecting/cleaning the “inners” of the kettle bowl. Used in conjunction with the SlowNSear it also helps in maintaining a consistent lower temperature when going LowNSlow.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone else has mentioned this "upgrade" yet but having some good thermometers if you don't already have them is highly recommended. Thermoworks has a bunch of really good options. I have used several of them and they all work great. I've not tried any of the wireless meat probes yet but they look cool.

If you do a lot of indirect cooking/smoking, with longer cook times, something that will monitor meat temp and cooking temp is a great idea. The Thermoworks Dot, or square dot would be good entry level items. The "Smoke" or "Smoke X" models offer more features/functionality at a higher price.

I don't think anyone else has mentioned this "upgrade" yet but having some good thermometers if you don't already have them is highly recommended. Thermoworks has a bunch of really good options. I have used several of them and they all work great. I've not tried any of the wireless meat probes yet but they look cool.

If you do a lot of indirect cooking/smoking, with longer cook times, something that will monitor meat temp and cooking temp is a great idea. The Thermoworks Dot, or square dot would be good entry level items. The "Smoke" or "Smoke X" models offer more features/functionality at a higher price.
Oh don’t your worry, long time thermoworks convert. But to anyone else reading this, yes, buy a good thermometer.

The t-works dot and thermopop make great gifts for friends who aren't converts yet! I've probably given at least 4 of the thermo-pops away to friends and family. I think they have their own wireless probes now but I'm on a spending slow down right ... wireless probes fall into the "don't need" category for me since I have a Smoke X, a Thermapen, and non-thermorks Maverick temp probe set that still works...

The t-works dot and thermopop make great gifts for friends who aren't converts yet! I've probably given at least 4 of the thermo-pops away to friends and family. I think they have their own wireless probes now but I'm on a spending slow down right ... wireless probes fall into the "don't need" category for me since I have a Smoke X, a Thermapen, and non-thermorks Maverick temp probe set that still works...
I have the two probe wireless which is fantastic, but if I had to pick one, the thermapen one is the best gadget I own i think.

You kettle guys probably missed this because I posted it in the gasser thread....
I finally got around to making my 'redneck sloNsear' the other day --- I can't bring myself to spend a good chunk of money on something that I don't really know if I need/like/would use, so I make things out of scrap laying around....
Scrap SS doors off a Silver B ----

20241022_170309.jpg20241022_165859.jpg

I was planning on using both doors to make this, but the one door came within ~1" of being just right.
I really just wanted this to direct the airflow towards the basket and hopefully more smoke over the food.
I'll be trying it out soon on a pair of chickens.

I made a 'vortex' out of a SS bowl that worked quite well - but I find the basket and a lower/slower cook is what I prefer.... Plus my older performa deluxe doesn't have a heat shield on the handle and it really sucks having to open the lid when its raging 500+.

I purchased the drip n griddle pan in stainless and have never even used it once.
While I am sure it does the job very well, it has to be cleaned after each use I would presume.
Generally I aim to cool the bbq off as fast as possible then cover it up....cleaning said pan an hour after dinner isn't in my best interest.
SNS does make a quality product from what I have seen.
As far as cost goes......the product should last a long time...my SNS is already about 5 years old and has way more life left in it...10 years?
Price cost per year is silly low.....the removable water pan is super handy. I am a fan.....if mine broke tonight I would order the same one again.

I bought the complete set and it works real well. I buy the wide foil and wrap the drip pan so clean up is a 2 minute job. I really like how I forces the air over to and up through the SNS which allows for better heat control.
I just need a easy spin next

If you do a lot of indirect cooking/smoking, with longer cook times, something that will monitor meat temp and cooking temp is a great idea. The Thermoworks Dot, or square dot would be good entry level items...................
The TW Dot & Square Dot are my go-to's.
I have been using the Dot, (with needle meat probe & silicone cable), & the Tel-Tru BQ225, which is mounted on the Bullet, for my last few cooks. One wire. Golden Arches.
The TW Smoke & ThermoPro TP20 are languishing in my gizmo box. Granted, I don't have the remote temp reading(s) option, but that doesn't bother me one bit. I'm not one to check the temps every 5 minutes. Maybe once an hour after things have settled. The Dot & T-T combo work for me, & they are relatively cheap.

Edit: Sage advice by @Bob Bailey in post #2.

Back