Longest smoke possible on WSM 18.5?

BruceS

TVWBB Member
What is the longest smoke possible on a WSM 18.5 using either briquettes or lump or a combination of both?

Cooking at those temps with an ambient temp of 70 degrees, stock charcoal ring filled up as full as you can with good quality briquettes using the minion method I don’t see why you could not get 11-12 hours out of it. Quite possibly more

21 hrs here, and I had probably a couple hrs left.

My ring is extended capacity using expanded metal. I never add coals or have to mess with them....the temp controller takes care of it. Usually don't even shake ash down, etc under 18 hrs.

Lump doesn't nest densely due to irregular sizes....won't get same amount fuel in as briquettes, I'm theorizing

Last edited:
Longest I’ve ever gone was 16 hours at 225
SJ, just a q for clarification. When you say, "with the bottom completely filled with charcoal", do you mean the ring or do you pull the ring and really "fill the bottom "? Just curious. Thank you.

SJ, just a q for clarification. When you say, "with the bottom completely filled with charcoal", do you mean the ring or do you pull the ring and really "fill the bottom "? Just curious. Thank you.
I leave the ring in and fill that up. However I do have the brinkman Water pan instead of the stock Weber one. It’s a good bit more shallow so it allows me to pile the coals up a few inches higher which helps with longevity.

I leave the ring in and fill that up. However I do have the brinkman Water pan instead of the stock Weber one. It’s a good bit more shallow so it allows me to pile the coals up a few inches higher which helps with longevity.
Thank you

More than 16 hours for sure. Done it plenty of times and had charcoal left after the butts were done.

Back