Longest Cook In 14.5 WSM

Rob M

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi
Can you please share with me the longest cook you have been able to get out of your 14.5 WSM on one heaping load of lump with clean ash free grill? I have only done 4-5 hour cooks and ran at 225-250 doing baby backs and chicken. Any tips or tricks to extend cooking time is much appreciated. I have had the little guy since they came out but only used for basic cooks and have not attempted a pork butt etc. or anything needing looong hours of low and slow, I usually go to my old 18.5 or 22.5 depending on volume of meat.
Thanks!

Did a 10 hr/10 lb/225F boneless pork butt on my 14.5 WSM using Royal Oak lump. Ended up adding a few more unlit piece of lump around the 7 hour mark via the front access door when the temps dipped a bit. In hindsight it might have gone the whole way with just the initial full load by opening the bottom vents more when the temp dipped, because when the cook was finished there were both some of the minion coals and those added later that were only partially burned through.

I got 8 1/2 hours out of a full basket in the 14.5 using KBB, MM of 10 briquettes and 3 chunks of wood. Temps were in the 260* to 290* range.
The meat was cooked & pulled at that time. There may have been another 15 minutes of coals left.
I've never used lump.
-fwiw, I removed the "heat shield" from the lower section to add capacity for ash & also raised the charcoal grate 1" to improve air flow for higher temps & ash capacity.

Last edited:
I've done a 10lb butt on my mini and ran 9 1/2 hours at about 250-260 on a full load and still had a little left.

Back