Long awaited first cook on my new WSM!

Bob (SmokeyBob)

As I posted earlier I picked up a 22.5 WSM but was in the middle of recovering from ankle surgery. Well the cast is off, and I'm able to move around almost perfect in my walking boot. Decided it was time to put the WSM to work.

I picked up a 8.5lb Butt at Walmart and while it took up just small portion of the 22 it was a nice first cook, and I think I changed my wifes opinion on getting the smoker.

Looking at some YouTube videos I saw some guys taking 12 hours to cook when smoking around 225*. I wanted this butt for dinner tonight so decided to try 275*. I was able to get the butt on the smoker by 8am and 7 hours later it was at 195*. I ended up putting it in a cooler until dinner which ended up being about 2 hours. I was a little worried but it turned out great, and my wife said it was the best pulled pork she ever had. So I was definitely pleased.

Other notes from the cook.
  • Rubbed with my basic bbq rub the night before and put her in the fridge until 7:15am when I took it out to start warming up on the counter.
  • 4-baseball sized chunks of apple wood from a Weber bag
  • Wrapped at 165* with some apple juice and a little brown sugar
  • Temps fluctuated between 270-300 during the 7 hour cook.

All night my wife has been asking what else we can smoke, planning on firing it up again next weekend!

Thanks to everyone on TVWBB, this is a great resource for first time smokers.

2013-08-25 08.02.32 by WiscyQ, on Flickr

2013-08-25 16.51.30 by WiscyQ, on Flickr

2013-08-25 16.56.11 by WiscyQ, on Flickr

Welcome to the family, that is how I started this summer. Now I built a mini for small cooks.

You need to either build a mini or start saving for a 14.5! perfect for 2, this weekend I did two huge turkey wings and 10 chicken wings and a kielbasa on my mini, fed 3.

I have the pot for building a Mini WSM, but haven't had the time yet. Might be a winter project. With the news of the 14.5 coming out though I might have to consider that, however the fun of building a mini will probably win out. I ended up using a lot of charcoal for just one butt, so I'd like something more efficient. Wife is already planning how we can fill the smoker next time and freeze food for later.

"my wife said it was the best pulled pork she ever had" = success. Congrats!

Careful you don't cook too much at one time or you won't get as many cooks. For me the cooking is as good as the eatin. I enjoy the process.

I have the pot for building a Mini WSM, but haven't had the time yet. Might be a winter project. With the news of the 14.5 coming out though I might have to consider that, however the fun of building a mini will probably win out. I ended up using a lot of charcoal for just one butt, so I'd like something more efficient. Wife is already planning how we can fill the smoker next time and freeze food for later.

You have the pot, build it, you only need some bolts, BUT also plan to buy a 14.5, that is what I am doing. used almost no coal!

The wife thinks I am nuts and overdoing it, why not just one grill? anyhow notice the mini on blocks, easy to work with the food at a decent height.

Back