"Loin Sirloin Flap"...& grilled fries

Hayden McCall

TVWBB All-Star
These look like short ribs, except they're nowhere near as tough, and cook up just like lil strip steaks. Wish I knew if these went by a less obscure name. At any rate, I had 9 of these, and I used 3 different rubs from Penzey's one per trio. I reverse seared them, cooking them indirect for about 8 minutes, and then seared them for about a minute each. Ridiculously tender, perfect medium rare. I quartered red fingerling potatoes, coated them with some EVOO and kosher salt, and cooked them over direct until they blackened a bit, then cooked them indirect while the steaks seared. I paired it all up with a mighty fine bottle of wine from Duck Pond. Made for one whale of a meal.

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

Hayden - looks fantastic like all of your food shoots.

Curious: what led you to try that particular cut of beef? Did your butcher recommend it or did it just look good to you?

How was the BBQ 3000 and the Northwoods seasoning on the steak? I've got both in my cabinet and have used the BBQ3000 on some ribs and thought it was unremarkable but OK. I haven't used the Northwoods yet. I was figuring it more for fish. I would like your thoughts on the seasonings.

Thanks!

Pat

Originally posted by Pat Smith:
Hayden - looks fantastic like all of your food shoots.

Curious: what led you to try that particular cut of beef? Did your butcher recommend it or did it just look good to you?

How was the BBQ 3000 and the Northwoods seasoning on the steak? I've got both in my cabinet and have used the BBQ3000 on some ribs and thought it was unremarkable but OK. I haven't used the Northwoods yet. I was figuring it more for fish. I would like your thoughts on the seasonings.

Thanks!

Pat

Much like the short ribs I bought recently, I tried these merely because they looked soo good. The marbling on them was just ridiculous. Unlike the boneless short ribs, however, these cook up in much less time.
I thought all of the rubs were good, but enjoyed the Chicago Steak Rub best.

That meat looks really good.

And looks like a good wine to wash it down with
icon_smile.gif

Great pics

//Me

Very nice Hayden!
I'll be on the lookout for some sirlion flaps,
have never seen them offered around here.

Hayden, everything looks GREAT!
Although I haven't used BBQ3000 or NW on beef, Chicago Steak is my very favourite and I go thru alot of it. Actually, BBQ3000 is my go to rub for my spare ribs, i think it is quite remarkable.
Yeah, good lookin' plate of dinner! Nice!!

Thanks for the post. I have never heard of this so I just did some research on sirloin flaps and they seem like an interesting cut of beef. I didn't find anything definitive, but they may be what the french butchers call bavette.

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. This turned out well from top to bottom. I have to say, however, that the highlight for me was the bottle of wine. I highly recommend the Duck Pond 2008 Pinot Noir to whomever can locate some. I'm going to try and do a bottle of wine a week with cooking. It's good for you periodically, and to be honest, I really enjoy it and didn't realize how much I missed the simple pleasure of having wine with dinner until last night.

but they may be what the french butchers call bavette.

The way I know bavette is as a cut that, for lack of a better description, is like a mini flank steak. Seared and sliced across the grain too, but generally more tender. You don't see it too much in Ontario, where I live, but quite a bit in Quebec. It's a great cut.

The way I know bavette is as a cut that, for lack of a better description, is like a mini flank steak. Seared and sliced across the grain too, but generally more tender. You don't see it too much in Ontario, where I live, but quite a bit in Quebec. It's a great cut.

this is from a chowhounder:

Bavette is from the sirloin, the area between the porterhouse and the hind leg. It is called flap meat or bottom sirloin flap or steak tips depending on the market. It's all bavette.

here's the full thread.

I had never heard of bavette until I started researching this flap steak, so I suppose you would know more than me on the topic.

Back