Loimulohi fish grilling?

G Force

TVWBB Member
Anyone ever done the Finish technique of smoking/grilling salmon vertically on a plank next to a fire? So many great videos on youtube, very few in english. But in searching around I saw a "Monolith Plank Fish Holder" that would allow for this technique on any grill, ie kettle, wsm, etc. If there has been a posting about this in the past, my apologies for missing it. Any suggestions, tips or leads appreciated.

The first photo is an example of Loimulohi, the second an attachment that could/should work on any grill.

Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 12.33.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 12.23.55 PM.png

The Native Americans in the Pacific Northwest use/used a similar method using a campfire. I have also used that general method to bake bread (wind dough around a short section of stick or small tree limb stuck in the ground around a fire). It actually works quite well.

However, not to rain on anyone's parade, but when it comes to salmon I will stick with my "Salmon on a plank" using my Weber Kettle grills. On the other hand, much of what we do came about because something appealed to us that was a bit different, we tried it, and it became a "signature dish".

Just a thought or two...

FWIW
Dale53

I don't bother with either this or salmon on a plank because especially planked style I don't like salmon that tastes like a piece of furniture :D

When I lived at the Oregon coast in Depoe Bay one of the communities fund raisers is a traditional salmon bake. I worked the fire line multiple years. The wood for the fire is locally sourced alder. The salmon are put between a split alder branch with cedar cross supports. Top of the branch is wired closed. They have a custom made metal support for the base. There are several other communities on the Oregon Coast that do this. This year would've been the 64th year that Depoe Bay has held a salmon bake.

I have done this with a couple salmon before at home for special occasions. I usually dig a pit to build the fire in. Hole in the ground with a cinder block support to hold the branch. you have to rotate the fish 180° part way through.

PS this salmon doesn't taste like a piece of furniture!

salmon.jpg

salmon1.jpg

salmon2.jpg

I'm just hoping to learn the proper pronunciation of "loimulohi".... ;)

Native Finn here. I googled this for you and it sounds proper: https://forvo.com/word/loimulohi/

Funny thing, I have never made loimulohi myself. Eaten it many times, but it's always been someone else who prepares it. I just added a wood burning grill alongside my old gas grill and new steel kamado, and was thinking of making some loimulohi soon. :)

I don't bother with either this or salmon on a plank because especially planked style I don't like salmon that tastes like a piece of furniture :D
Native Finn here. I googled this for you and it sounds proper: https://forvo.com/word/loimulohi/

Funny thing, I have never made loimulohi myself. Eaten it many times, but it's always been someone else who prepares it. I just added a wood burning grill alongside my old gas grill and new steel kamado, and was thinking of making some loimulohi soon. :)

Thanks! I was hoping someone knew where that grill holder in photo came from. I can rig something up, but that looks simple and effective.

Lost the picture, but at last years fest there was a sort of merry-go-round above a wood fire. I really wanted one. Really really needed something to cook 300 pounds at one time...

There was an episode of Man Fire Food where they did something similar.
It was in a parking lot and they added a bed of sand then started a fire with pallets.
Fish was nailed to planks with Galvanized roofing nails.

Tim

Back