Lodge Cast-Iron Pizza Pan

Richard Garcia

TVWBB All-Star
In reading the instructions on cleaning the 14" Lodge Pizza Pan it states after it is dry to add a few drops of cooking oil. Question, what is the best way to store-it after adding the oil? My thinking is that I will store it in a plastic bag or in aluminum foil???

I'm far from a CI expert, so my input will mean very little but I also store mine in an open area. Despite everything I've read and watched online regarding seasoning and adding a very small amount of oil I still had trouble and sometimes would come back to a tacky touch. Then, about 18 months ago, I bought some Camp Chef conditioner and apply a thin coating after cleaning my CI items and I feel like I'm having a better experience.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000H86C9I/tvwb-20

I leave my stuff open air. I use flax seed oil. I think it's better to leave them to breath. My dutch oven I had not used in a few months had a bit of mold in it as I left the cover on. Some oils can spoil in the right environment.

Just leave it open. Do not store it in foil. Aluminum and Iron/Steel set up a galvanic action and you will quickly have a corroded mess

I’m with Tim, leave them out in the air, you don’t need to use a lot of oil, just a few drops and wipe it with a paper towel, do it every time and you will be rewarded in the long run.
I got one of those “chain mail” scrubber things as a gift, when I find something stuck, it works really well to gently remove I’d and not ruin the surface.
Check out “Cowboy Kent Rollins” on his cleaning method too, very simple, my carbon steel skillet has been getting a lot more use lately.

Thanx to all that replied and plan on using it on a weekly basis in order to justify the cost to the wife: Amazon: $40 and another $68 for Costa Rican Import taxes and shipping cost;)

Don't wrap it, if you're going to store it inside a kitchen cabinet then you can throw down some foil to set the cast iron pan on, just to keep the cabinet clean. The oil on the cast iron helps to keep is seasoned and prevents rusting. I'm sure you already know, but don't let water sit in cast iron overnight or anything like that. Use it, clean it, dry it, oil it. Some people I know even skip the cleaning part 😂

We have nine CI fry pans and five CI Dutch ovens. Three of the fry pans and two Dutch ovens are dedicated to outside only cooking. We use our inside ones on a daily basis. All the pans are highly seasoned and are quite easy to clean without damaging the seasoning. When clean I dry them with a paper towel and put them on the stoves CI burners to let them air dry for a couple of hours. Then a few drops of canola oil wiped on with a paper towel and put away in the pantry inside. If they do, which is not very often need to be seasoned I use food grade flax seed oil.

I agree with Larry (LMichaels) DO NOT let it sit in contact with foil! Galvanic reaction will occur, put an old towel under it if you need to, just make sure the thing is well dried!

. Then a few drops of canola oil wiped on with a paper towel and put away in the pantry inside. If they do, which is not very often need to be seasoned I use food grade flax seed oil.
Rich; thanx for your reply and where do you buy your "food grade flax seed oil"?

Rick

Try a health foods or organic outlet.

There's also been some discussion that flax seed oil is rather overrated to season cast iron.

The lodge seasoning spray uses 100% canola oil. They are pricey so I just get canola oil in the bottle and it works great. Oil it after every use and let the CI breathe.......better than new!

Last edited:
I just use a wipe of canola as well, then set on an open shelf in garage. When I need it wipe it out, or quick rinse and towel dry

Back