Loafing on a Saturday

Ed M.

TVWBB Guru
Gonna get really windy and really cold here tonight for many days, (we're talking about 20+ below wind chills):( so the wife and I decided we would take advantage of the warm weather we are having today and make some meatloaf to freeze up for later consumption. Used some Royal Oak lump with just a tiny bit of hickory wood. I also have a chicken cooking in the crock and made 2.5 lbs of chorizo and 2.5 lbs of italian sausage. Was a busy but fun day. Enjoyed a few adult beverages as well.......
cuz my wife said we should!:)

Anyhow, here are some pics of the meatloaf cook.

Mixed and formed and on the pan.

006-1.jpg~original

Some action shots on the WSM.

020-2.jpg~original

022-1.jpg~original

Done

024-1.jpg~original

And sliced

027.jpg~original

As stated above, this loaf will be vac packed to be consumed at a later date, but I did sample the end pieces just cuz!:cool:

It was real good!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Ed, you're the man with the plan. A mighty tasty plan!
The wind is already picked up here and the temp is dropping. Parts of Westfield and the Dells are without power.

Cooked to perfection! What internal temp did you pull it? I have a tendensy to dry my loafs out. A great one 4 sure!

GREAT LOAF ED!!
Hope you put that grill away before last night's WIND STORM!
incredible strength
those winds here had...

I can handle the cold, butt with the wind AND cold... :(

Thanks much for the kind words. Greatly appreciated.

Jim, I have to admit that I did not put the WSM away.:eek: The good news is that it was still in it's place when I got up this morning!:) According to the news, Wautoma had a peak gust of 54 mph during the night.

Daniel, I pulled this one at 165 and let it rest quite awhile. I used a bit more minced onion than usual and this may have helped make the meat more moist.

Looks good Ed. Love those smoked meatloafs.

I did my first meatloaf last week and made another at work yesterday. The second one had less smoke flavor as I was a little sensitive about over smoking it and pulled the wood chunks too early.

Did you let the wood burn all the way through the whole cook?

Back