LinkMeter v2 Homebrew BBQ Controller - Part 2

If you plug it in to your laptop, you should be able to access it on 192.168.200.1, although you will probably need to keep Wifi on your laptop off to access it. (To be fair though, I still don't understand why you weren't able to connect with your laptop in the first place, so it may not work, despite the fact that it should.)

Once you get it the Linksys connecting through Wifi, though, the address will be whatever your home router assigns to it.

I had a thought. What is the range of the wireless probe module? Could this be used to send current temps to a dedicated receiver? I was thinking a simple device with a large led display.

Thats what I just did...ordered the pre-crimped ones. The price isn't bad
and will save time (and bad connections!)

Originally posted by RJ Riememsnider:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C McDugan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RJ Riememsnider:
Grrrrrr, Female Crimp Pins for 0.1" Housings 100-Pack on backorder.....

I used some IDSS series IDC cables from samtec, just cut them up into the right widths. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We think alike, was considering getting some of the pre-crimped wires from pololu and cutting them in half. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Word to the wise:

CP-2506-ND from Digikey will not work as a replacement for the 2.5mm phonejacks. They're not quite long enough to make it through the wall of the WRT54G's case. *sigh* Off we go on another component hunt.

crap....wifes work just called and i have to go get her as shes sick, i'll try the other computer later tonight....Thanks for the help, and i'll keep everyone posted!

Which specific version of the WRT54G/WRT54GS/WRT54GL is the best to use?

Unfortunately as we were working on connecting the serial ports to my WRT54g Version 2 we ruining one of the connection points and now I need to get another one on Ebay.

Thanks in advance!

got it working on the desktop, loaded firmware....now to merge tomorrow. is the
192.168.200.1 the addy used to bring it up on my laptop?

Final question to shoot out into the ether before I hit the sack:

I hooked up my probes and was getting pit and probe 1 temps. It was a really flaky connection, but it was there more than not. I reset the router, untangled the probes from themselves and plugged them back in. Now I'm getting nothing from them.

I unplugged the probe connection and tested each probe with my multimeter to make sure I was getting reasonable numbers, which I was, and they changed predictably when putting the probes in ice water etc. The same reading happen when I check the probes at the end of the cable I made with the pin headers.

So why on Earth won't heatermeter see them?

Originally posted by C McDugan:
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask or not, but here goes:

I'm an embedded hardware guy and know enough about firmware to design the hardware for it, but I'm not up on the finer details of modern embedded linux. I have a WRT54GS v2.1 I want to run linkmeter on but would rather not have to install all of the packages and configure it by hand. The pre-built linkmeter image is targeted at the standard WRT54G, but looking at the stock OpenWrt binaries for the S and non-S versions on the WRT54G it looks like the only difference is in the first line:

WRT54G - W54G........G.U2
WRT54GS - W54S........P.U2

I'm guessing this is just an identifier so the firmware updater can check that you aren't trying to install firmware for another device, but since the rest of the file is identical could I just take the pre-built linkmeter image and edit those two bytes at the beginning of the binary and be on my way? The fact that the rest if the stock OpenWrt image is identical leads me to believe this would work, but I don't know if the linkmeter package relies on anything less generic to run.

The WRT54GS appears to be the same hardware as the WRT54G only with more memory and flash space. I'd think you'd be fine to just flash the linkmeter .bin file.

I am building a fan adapter for my father in law who has a Large BGE. He is traveling right now and he lives far enough away I can't go look at it. Can someone give me some dimensions of the adapter plate that sits in the air inlet door? Thanks

Originally posted by Jon Comstock:
Hello everyone!! I must say I'm grateful that I stumbled on this forum. And much praise to everyone that has but all there hard work and brain power in to this lovely lil project!!!
I have been following this thread for some time now and have decided to to order the parts and start my adventure to LinkMeter land.

With that being said does any one have a 3.2 board available for purchase? Thanks for all the help in advance because I'm sure i will have lots of questions.
I've got some...... send me an email smoke dot shack at verizon dot net

Have to drive home from work. Won't be available to answer questions for a half hour or so. I'll check in again when I get home.

Originally posted by RJ Riememsnider:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C McDugan:

I'm an embedded hardware guy and know enough about firmware to design the hardware for it, but I'm not up on the finer details of modern embedded linux. I have a WRT54GS v2.1 I want to run linkmeter on but would rather not have to install all of the packages and configure it by hand. The pre-built linkmeter image is targeted at the standard WRT54G, but looking at the stock OpenWrt binaries for the S and non-S versions on the WRT54G it looks like the only difference is in the first line:

I'm guessing this is just an identifier so the firmware updater can check that you aren't trying to install firmware for another device, but since the rest of the file is identical could I just take the pre-built linkmeter image and edit those two bytes at the beginning of the binary and be on my way? The fact that the rest if the stock OpenWrt image is identical leads me to believe this would work, but I don't know if the linkmeter package relies on anything less generic to run.

The WRT54GS appears to be the same hardware as the WRT54G only with more memory and flash space. I'd think you'd be fine to just flash the linkmeter .bin file. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it'll probably be fine too, it's just that there are a few different combinations of SOC and clock speed between the different versions of these things and I don't know if the OpenWrt base system is smart enough to know the difference and adjust accordingly. Wouldn't do much good if the system runs but the UARTs are at the wrong rate...

Last night I flashed a wrt54gs v3.0 and it worked fine. Its actually labeled as a wrt54g-tm but its the exact same model.
So you shouldn't have any problems getting it flashed.

And for anyone else interested, I had dd-wrt flashed on it before. I downloaded the bin image and used dd-wrt's option to flash an update
and it worked fine. If you are coming from a dd-wrt based router, reset to defaults before reflashing to openwrt. After flashing, I also had to enable wireless, then power on/off the router to get wireless to actually work. The power led kept flashing until I powered on/off the router, even though
I could connect via ethernet.

Neil

Originally posted by C McDugan:

Back