LinkMeter v2 Homebrew BBQ Controller - Part 2

Originally posted by Ben Fillmore:
I have reflashed. My coefficients are set properly. When the probes were working I was getting rooom temperature back from them.

Do you have a potentiometer that can simulate the resistance you see on one of the probes? You could connect that to the heatermeter connector. Also, maybe use some alligator clips to connect a probe directly to the board.

I have reflashed. My coefficients are set properly. When the probes were working I was getting rooom temperature back from them.

I still say, measure the resistance on one of the probes by itself then use a potentiometer to create that resistance on the header on the board. That will tell you 100% if its in the probe board/cabling or on the heatermeter board.

Grumble. Bridging the ground pin and probe 1 pin with a resistor, and I get a steady temperature reading.

I get good readings from the probes when they're plugged into the jacks...

Probably a bad crimp job on the common pin, maybe?

I've been having problems getting mine setup as well and I've done at least 10 wrt routers with dd-wrt, but I haven't gotten the openwrt configured correctly yet either, although I haven't tried Bryan's latest instructions above.

If you can't get to your router, you've probably
misconfigured one of the interfaces (which I've done as well). The only way I could recover is to tftp the image again. If for some reason that doesn't work, you can also tftp a dd-wrt mini image, then 'update' from dd-wrt to the lm bin image.

Here's some tftp instructions:
http://www.fiset.ca/public/jpf.../troubleshooting.pdf
See the last 4 pages (similar for windows)

Neil

Originally posted by Dave Smith:
tried that and 192.168.1.1, no go.

Oops no one tell my router that, I just did it that way couple weeks ago.

Good to know another way to configure it.

thanks,
dave

Originally posted by Bryan Mayland:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Peart:
This is something Bryan posted sometime back somewhere. But it is how I configure my LM everytime.
Actually, that procedure shouldn't work any more. OpenWrt changed their something or other and the WLAN can't be on the WAN bridge any more.

The way I do it (and I can't do step by step because my LinkMeter is still not on) is:
1) Make sure your LinkMeter has a default configuration. Use the reset configuration option that's in the backup/restore section. Reboot after reset.
2) Enable the wireless interface and Save and Commit the changes.
3) "Join" the wireless network you want to be a part of, all the bridge options and interface names are default. Make sure you select your wireless security and enter your wireless password. Save and Commit.
4) It will say "committing changes" or something with a spinny cursor. After about 30 seconds just pull the plug on it and reboot.
5) You can find out the IP address it got from the status page when it comes back up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is odd. I've been using them for a while without issue. I do find them to be more prone to issues than the ET-73 probes.

Not sure how comfortable you are with changing the HM code, but to help debug you could turn off the temperature sanity check, recompile, flash and see what it reads. I had to do this while trying to get the coefficients for the ET-732 to work.

You will find the code to change grillpid.cpp. If you can't figure it out from that hint, then you'd probably best not mess with it
icon_smile.gif

dave

732's, but I don't plug them in too far. I can get a reading on my ohmmeter down at the pin header.

I'm picking up some alligator clips from the Shack today, I'll play around some more once I can test easier.

I look on my router (home router, not LM) under the devices tab. It will list all the IPs that it has served out.

dave

Got things set up, but where do I find the WRT's ip addy?

Are you using ET-732 or ET-73 probes? If the former, make sure that you don't plug the probe in too far. It will short out the connection and you will not get any temp. readings.

dave

Okay, rebuilt the connector, but I'm getting the exact same problem. I'm at a loss.

Bridge the pins with a resistor, I get a temperature reading.

Plug in the probe: nothing.

If I take a reading of the probe down at the pin header connection, I get a resistance of about 1 M ohm. I know the connector is good.

If I hook up the ohmmeter between the ground pin on the heatermeter board and one of the probe pins next to it, should I get continuity?

The thing that kills me is this was all working the first time I plugged it all in.

I'm not sure I understand how the coefficients loaded to the heatermeter yet but maybe try to reflash the AVR code????

After you have flashed with openwrt, you can no longer use 192.168.1.1, you have to use 192.168.200.1

You also need to manually set your computer to 192.168.200.2 (doesn't have to be 2, but 2 works).

dave

tried that and 192.168.1.1, no go.

So I tried this and I get "wireless is disabled or not associated" under the wifi tab. However, it is enabled.
LAN is the only interface showing uptime, WAN and WWAN do not show any uptime.

Should the WWAN be bridged?

Also, which subnet is your linkmeter on - are you changing it to be the same subnet as your ap or leaving it on the default 200 subnet?

Thanks,

Neil

Originally posted by Bryan Mayland:

Actually, that procedure shouldn't work any more. OpenWrt changed their something or other and the WLAN can't be on the WAN bridge any more.

The way I do it (and I can't do step by step because my LinkMeter is still not on) is:
1) Make sure your LinkMeter has a default configuration. Use the reset configuration option that's in the backup/restore section. Reboot after reset.
2) Enable the wireless interface and Save and Commit the changes.
3) "Join" the wireless network you want to be a part of, all the bridge options and interface names are default. Make sure you select your wireless security and enter your wireless password. Save and Commit.
4) It will say "committing changes" or something with a spinny cursor. After about 30 seconds just pull the plug on it and reboot.
5) You can find out the IP address it got from the status page when it comes back up.

Originally posted by D Peart:
Does is also bypass the temperature sanity check?
Yeah it does, but only for the food probes. The pit probe is still business as usual. The unit change doesn't stick through a AVR reboot on the off chance that someone enters it by accident. The linkmeterd process also generates a table of resistance to temperature with the idea that it would then be able to generate coefficients if you swept probes through a temperature range. I haven't written the Levenberg–Marquardt fitting function though yet because math is hard.

Okay, rebuilt the connector, but I'm getting the exact same problem. I'm at a loss.

Bridge the pins with a resistor, I get a temperature reading.

Plug in the probe: nothing.

If I take a reading of the probe down at the pin header connection, I get a resistance of about 1 M ohm. I know the connector is good.

If I hook up the ohmmeter between the ground pin on the heatermeter board and one of the probe pins next to it, should I get continuity?

The thing that kills me is this was all working the first time I plugged it all in.

ok, I'm not getting it set up right as it's not being recognized by my home network, so I'm not sure what the settings should be. Would someone have a step by step for setting it up to run off the home network?

Back