LinkMeter v2 Homebrew BBQ Controller - Part 2

Does the router have to have internet hooked up too? hooked direct to my laptop, still can't get it to work, and it's a new router.

ps.. any chance my laptop causing the problem, it's wireless.

You don't need to be connected to the Internet for this process as long as you downloaded the .bin ahead of time. 192.168.1.1 is a local address. When you plug into the WRT you are connecting to a local network consisting of your computer and the WRT. You don't need wireless at all at this point. If you WERE connected to wireless AND plugged into the router, your computer would be connected to 2 local networks. It would be confused about which one it's trying to access.

After you've flashed OpenWRT to your router, you need to go into the wireless settings, and tell it to connect to your home network in Client mode. That will allow it to be a part of your local wireless network. At that point you can turn Wifi back on on your computer.

Originally posted by Dave Smith:
Need some help with the router side....connected linksys to my home router lan 3 to lan 3, type in 192.168.1.1 and get address not valid.
(I'm trying to flash it )
If it is still running the stock Linksys firmware, plug your computer directly into the WRT54G and then you should be able to access http://192.168.1.1/

On the rebooting issue
I've had never had a problem with the router rebooting itself during a cook. It is possible though if the device runs out of memory for some reason that the kernel will crash and then the hardware watchdog will reboot the device. More likely it will just kill the webserver process. Neither of these ever happen while I'm cooking though, although I am careful about not trying to open too many connections to it. For testing I keep the LinkMeter running 24/7 and check in on it from time to time. Right now it has been running for 28 days.

Does the router have to have internet hooked up too? hooked direct to my laptop, still can't get it to work, and it's a new router.

Oh wait I am a bit behind here.

Yeah if you're using WiFi to try and get to the Linksys is isn't going to work unless you connect to the Linksys's Wifi. You can't do it through your existing wifi connection (well you can but that would require you to manually adjust your laptop's network configuration).

nope not working, still can't get 192.168.1.1 to work.....

Ok, reboot the new linksys.
Make sure you have the new firmware.bin on your laptop.
Once the linksys lishts stop blinking, plug the laptop ethernet port into one of the 4 switch ports that are all touching each other on the back of the linksys.
You should see a cooresponding LED illuminate on the fron of the linksys.
Wait 15 seconds or so.
Open a command prompt on the laptop and type the following
ipconfig
then hit enter.
what does it say?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RJ Riememsnider:
Ok, there's the problem. Try http://192.168.0.1 as the address.

that brings up my dink 825 downstairs....my main wireless point, not the linksys. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the laptop ethernet port is connected directly to the linksys?

icon_confused.gif

You're trying to flash a linksys with stock firmware? If so, I'd have the firmware downloaded to a folder on the laptop, plug the laptop straight into the linksys and not have any of it connected to your lan. I'd also turn off wireless on the laptop just to be sure.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Bosun>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4125:573f:a14:c528%10
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.4
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter isatap.lan:

Tunnel adapter isatap.{D235401A-81A6-463A-9F0D-FAE6A7B95EE6}:

Tunnel adapter isatap.{1CE7AF2A-5E63-4FE3-B533-05FC8CC75FD7}:

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

C:\Users\Bosun>

Originally posted by D Peart:
I can't remember. I think if I rebooted I lost it, but if I just restarted lua I didn't loose everything.

For me it was caused by my fan feeding noise back into the power/ground network. I've never had an issue when I use my SSR for the electric smoker.

I've many posts in this thread where Bryan and I worked on debugging the issue. If you look back you can see the ways to check if the same thing is happening to you. It came down to the serial driver getting hung up and having to be restarted. It gets hung up because the serial port gets corrupted from the fan noise.

I don't know if what you are seeing is the same as I, but it is easy to check. Start the unit, connect the fan, set the temp to ensure the fan is running, or set the manual fan mode. Then on the router cat /dev/ttyS1 and look at the data. If that gets corrupted, then you are probably seeing the same thing I was.

dave

Not the fan on mine, don't even have the heatermeter board connected yet. Thinking it may not like the no serial comm. I really hope this clears up as the main reason for the for me is logging cook temps.

Back