LinkMeter v2 Homebrew BBQ Controller - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do see the serial communication get waked periodically when the fan turns on and off. It isn't very often now with the 2200uF capacitor on it, but it still happens.

I have restarted the HM, but that doesn't fix it, so it has to be an LM issue. I'll try restarting the webserver, need to go figure out how to do that again, and see if that fixes it. I do know a reboot of LM gets it up and working again, at least temporarily.

I'm also now running a test with the blower disconnected and will see if I get this problem again. I still think it is due to noise being injected into the 12V supply by the blower even though it is very infrequent now. Maybe it's time for some diodes to isolate the blower as well. I'll keep looking into it.

dave

Originally posted by Bryan Mayland:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Peart:
I can now control everything from the web page however, when I change the set point it changes my temperture readings to C, the only way to get it back is to go to configuration and set the set point with F, then I get my F back.
Oops little bug I added there when I added resistance mode. Fixed.

As for your unresponsiveness /shrug does setting it directly from serial work? It seems like something's getting messed up in transmission somehow but I've never seen it happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

[/QUOTE]
The reason it is vague is because I have been intentionally dodging the responsibility. The OpenWrt and DD-WRT forums are full of hundreds of people who have problems flashing the firmware, and they have a full wiki!

I don't know if you can flash either of the images from the DD-WRT gui, because I'm not sure what format they're expecting. The best bet is to use TFTP.

1) Grab the BIN snapshot
2) Get a TFTP client. If you have Windows XP, you've already got this. If not, I use the WinAgents TFTP Client Command Line utility. Put it in the same directory as your BIN file
3) Set your computer's IP address to 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 (gateway and dns can be blank)
4) For the most reliability connection, plug one of the target router's LAN ports into another router or hub, and then your computer into that (connecting to it via WiFi is fine too).
5) Open a command prompt and go do the directory you downloaded the BIN file and TFTP client.
6) Type `tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put linkmeter-wrt54g-squashfs.bin` but do not press enter
7) Unplug your target router, wait a couple seconds then plug it back in. Get your finger over the enter key on your computer and watch the router lights. They'll all light up as soon as you plug it in. When they all turn off (about a second or two into it) press enter.
8) The file should upload in 10 seconds, 20 at the most. If it is still sitting there after 20 seconds, hit CTRL+C and go back to #6 again.
9) If your computer sends the file successfully, in about a minute you'll see all the router lights back on again, then off. The DMZ light should start blinking fast. In another minute the Power light should come on steady. A few minutes after that, the DMZ light should go out. The router is now booted.

At this point, you can plug your computer directly into the router and get a DHCP address or set your IP to 192.168.200.x. The web interface is at 192.168.200.1.[/QUOTE]

All,

I apologize ahead of time if my questions cause you to repeat yourselves over and over again. But just to clarify (if I've read and understood correctly) there are two different ways to flash/hack/mod your Linksys router (WRT54GL) with the LinkMeter firmware.

1) Install openWRT onto the router and update the firmware with the pre-built LinkMeter OpenWRT image (linkmeter-brcm47xx-squashfs.trx)

a) if this is correct, does the .trx file contain the entire build/programming of the LinkMeter? Would I need anything else?

2) Use the steps mentioned on page 30 of this forum that flashes the router using TFTP and the linkmeter-wrt54g-squashfs.bin file.

a) If this is correct, does the .bin file contain the entire build/programming of the LinkMeter? Would I need anything else?

b) I tried for 5 hours yesterday to get this going. I read and re-read the post, the process, and even went elsewhere on the web to see if I did something wrong and I constantly got timed-out. I was unsuccessful. Any idea what would be the common mistakes noob make when flashing their routers?

I truly feel humbled to be in the presence of such intelligent folks and I appreciate your feedback

Thanks
Edwin

Originally posted by D Peart:
I have restarted the HM, but that doesn't fix it, so it has to be an LM issue. I'll try restarting the webserver, need to go figure out how to do that again, and see if that fixes it. I do know a reboot of LM gets it up and working again, at least temporarily.
When it breaks try
lmclient LMDC,0
lmclient LMDC,1

That restarts the serial reader/writer process of the daemon first. Then try to see if you can change things. If not then the fallback is
/etc/init.d/lucid restart

There's already a diode between the 12V input and the 5V regulator. The fan power is tapped from before the diode, and there's 47uF capacitor after the diode, so it was my thinking that this should help protect the AVR device from getting "browned out". Apparently not though. You might also try putting your big capacitor not in the standard spot, but rather with the positive capacitor lead in the hole where the negative lead is supposed to go, then put the negative lead to ground. I've seen capacitors hooked this way to motors in some datasheets.

Originally posted by Edwin Gonzalez:
a) if this is correct, does the .trx file contain the entire build/programming of the LinkMeter? Would I need anything else?
a) If this is correct, does the .bin file contain the entire build/programming of the LinkMeter? Would I need anything else?

b) I tried for 5 hours yesterday to get this going. I read and re-read the post, the process, and even went elsewhere on the web to see if I did something wrong and I constantly got timed-out.
a) Both the trx and bin files (in the snapshots directory) contain the full prerequisites and latest linkmeter package. Everything you need aside from the avr firmware.

b) Try just getting `ping 192.168.1.1` to work. You should get at least one reply every couple of boots. If there's no pings working, either the router isn't set to take a TFTP firmware or your network isn't set up correctly. Like I've said though, there's nearly a whole wiki and forum dedicated to people who can't get firmwares to flash so unfortunately I'm not much help beyond what I've already said.

OK my testing with the blower not hooked up proved fruitful. It did mess up eventually and got me to the same place I was with the blower. I cannot update anything via the web.

It took a lot longer to happen, but it did happen.

dave

How long does it usually take to receive your boards from dorkbot? I ordered my boards and was told they would be sent to manufacture on the 17th of Feb but haven't received them yet. I emailed Laen a few days ago inquiring about when they shipped or would be shipped but he hasn't responded. Just wondering if this was a normal amount of time.

Thanks
Justin

Originally posted by Justin:
How long does it usually take to receive your boards from dorkbot? I ordered my boards and was told they would be sent to manufacture on the 17th of Feb but haven't received them yet. I emailed Laen a few days ago inquiring about when they shipped or would be shipped but he hasn't responded. Just wondering if this was a normal amount of time.

Thanks
Justin

When I ordered my boards, it took over a month to get them back.

Originally posted by Brian J Wilson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Justin:

Thanks
Justin

When I ordered my boards, it took over a month to get them back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow. When I ordered the boards I read on the dorkbot site that they should ship within 14 days of when they were sent to fab. I guess that's not really the case. Seems I should have just bought one off of Bryan for 10 bucks. Waiting for the boards is killing me as I have everything else ready built and ready to plug into the board. Oh well guess I'll stop checking the mail every day hoping.

Thanks
Justin

Wow. When I ordered the boards I read on the dorkbot site that they should ship within 14 days of when they were sent to fab. I guess that's not really the case. Seems I should have just bought one off of Bryan for 10 bucks. Waiting for the boards is killing me as I have everything else ready built and ready to plug into the board. Oh well guess I'll stop checking the mail every day hoping.

Thanks
Justin

Part of the reason it took long for my order was the Holiday season and there was an error in the shipping. Laen is pretty good about posting updates about delays. If you haven't already, you might want to check the dorkbot site for any updates.

-Brian

I usually get mine in the middle of the 3rd week so about about 23 days. Usually at the 2 week mark I am getting excited and I check the mailbox every day only to be disappointed all week. I think it is actually 14 working days and then USPS shipping time.

Originally posted by Kyle Christensen:
Bryan, I never knew you were a goon! I was browsing GwS earlier and clicked into the smoking thread and lo and behold, HeaterMeter!
Oh snap, yeah, since 2002! I love GWS. I did a bunch of recipe description posts long time ago but now all the really talented chefs have moved in and I'm pretty intimidated. I try to pimp HeaterMeter there when I can because that forum has some incredibly talented programmers/web designers and I keep hoping one of them will hop on the project long enough to make some pretty web pages.

Bryan, I never knew you were a goon! I was browsing GwS earlier and clicked into the smoking thread and lo and behold, HeaterMeter!

You guys read Girls with Slingshots too!? Amazing! That it what I got when I Googled GWS.

Anyway, something weird is going on with dorkbotpdx orders. James said he was out of townn on business in Seattle most of last week and that he would ship the 2/22 boards Thursday lastly week. Unfortunately I haven't seen the boards or an update on the RSS feed.

Laen sent me an e-mail this afternoon saying he should have my boards Friday and he should have them in the mail on Saturday. I ordered mine on 2/29/12.

Yeah. I actually got an email from him today also and he said my boards went in the mail today also. He left for some training the day the Feb 17th boards came in so he didn't get them out till today. Hopefully 2-4 days I will have them.

Justin

Originally posted by Dave S (GeoDave):
You guys read Girls with Slingshots too!? Amazing! That it what I got when I Googled GWS.
Well now I have to go look up what Girls With Slingshots is... ok well that was disappointed. Expected a little more "sexy" and a lot less webcomic.

GWS = Goons [members of somethingawful.com] With Spoons. A really good small subforum of people sharing cooking tips.

Re: DorkBot. When I had my V3.2 boards made I was in a day before the deadline for a panel but didn't get on until the following panel. I don't know why Laen takes the time to build a panel and send out emails and collect payment and ship boards for such a low cost. To me that's just way too much work for such little money.

INPUT NEEDED: If you had two more LEDs on the front of your HeaterMeter, what would they represent?

It occurred to me that there are 2 unused pins on the LCD shift register than can be used as some sort of indicator lights but... indicate what? Just to throw out some ideas:

-- Fan is on (fan percent > 0)
-- Temperature OK (temp within x% of setpoint)
-- Lid is open
-- High load / low fuel (average fan speed > x%)
-- Alarm (oops still need to do alarms, don't I?)
-- New Justin Timberlake twitter post notification

I'm not sure I'd have any real use for LEDs, but I was thinking that some type of mobile notification (SMS would probably be easiest) would be awesome. If I'm going to be doing an overnight smoke, I'd love to get paged if there was a large temperature swing.

It would be pretty easy to write a perl (or lua I guess) script or something to page (send an email) based off lmclient output that you could throw in crontab, but I figured I'd throw it out there if you had any plans before I started messing around.

Originally posted by Bryan Mayland:
INPUT NEEDED: If you had two more LEDs on the front of your HeaterMeter, what would they represent?

It occurred to me that there are 2 unused pins on the LCD shift register than can be used as some sort of indicator lights but... indicate what? Just to throw out some ideas:

-- Fan is on (fan percent > 0)
-- Temperature OK (temp within x% of setpoint)
-- Lid is open
-- High load / low fuel (average fan speed > x%)
-- Alarm (oops still need to do alarms, don't I?)
-- New Justin Timberlake twitter post notification

My first controller doesn't have an lcd or network at all so it only has some leds. I found out that it's usefull to have "temp ok" and "food ok". It gives me the possibility to check from a distance if everything goes well. The food ok led goes on when the food-temp reaches the desired setpoint and temp ok is just like you mentioned within x% of setpoint.

It would be pretty easy to write a perl (or lua I guess) script or something to page (send an email) based off lmclient output that you could throw in crontab, but I figured I'd throw it out there if you had any plans before I started messing around.
The alarm system is going to have hooks for calling scripts which could then do whatever you want, such as send an email, send an android notification message, post to facebook, whatever you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back