lighting coal with weed burning torch

Dave O (Alaska)

TVWBB Pro
So I bought this torch, more like a flame thrower, a while back.
img0522bo.jpg

And used it to light my coals in the "coffee can" style.
img0524i.jpg

I apparently I ran it too long as I could not keep the temps under 275 degrees after about a half an hour (i used the trigger for high output, reminds me of a cutting torch)
Shut all the vents down for the bulk of a ten hour pork butt cook and it took probably six hours before it dropped to 250, I was shooting for 225. I have only used the torch a few times but the temps ran off on me every time.
For those of you who use these, how long do you hold the flame to the coals to light them?

thanks
DAve

I use a much smaller torch since I don't want to light too many too fast. What I do is use the torch on 3 separate spots in the ring about evenly dispersed in a triangle so the whole ring burns evenly for the most part. I hold the torch in each spot about 10-15 seconds....just enough to get the lump to light. Then I place my smoke wood on, assemble the cooker, and let it come up gradually so I don't overshoot.
You can use that torch, but maybe try not lighting the charcoal as much by holding it over the charcoal for much less time...just enough to light a few of the edges of the coals....they will light others. Then you will have much more control with your vents over how fast your temps come up.
Kg

I use that exact same torch. When I use it on my WSM I will fill the ring with coals and make an indent in the middle. I will light the coals in the indent with the torch and try to light them just just long enough to see some red embers. maybe 30 second. Some itmes I have to try and light them again and sometimes I have to fan the coals to help then along. On my Kettle I bank the coals and hit the coals pretty hard with the torch in a couple of spots to get them going.

This tells me that you've got an air leak somewhere.

Yep. I've never really had a problem with runaway temps, no matter how I lit the charcoal. My 18 has a couple of bent vents from a ride or two in our trunk, but both of my cookers are pretty tight.

thanks guys, i will check for air leaks. my WSM spents 365 days outside and the charcoal ring gets warped in the winter due to severe (-20F temps) i;'m sure the rest of the cooker needs some rounding out.

Back