Life is Good

Richard Garcia

TVWBB Wizard
Yesterday’s Costa Rican lunch for the Wife’s Family and us enjoyed by all.

Attachments

• 25FB122B-89F5-484A-B285-CE2AF500A092.jpeg
    25FB122B-89F5-484A-B285-CE2AF500A092.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 645CF228-6A42-4492-B793-0F4EE2C28930.jpeg
    645CF228-6A42-4492-B793-0F4EE2C28930.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 83
  • 5851722C-B6EC-4373-A187-287711E38241.jpeg
    5851722C-B6EC-4373-A187-287711E38241.jpeg
    211 KB · Views: 86
  • 8EB7BF80-E2D6-4B8B-B38C-4A51FF4769EE.jpeg
    8EB7BF80-E2D6-4B8B-B38C-4A51FF4769EE.jpeg
    243 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Some years back we were fortunate enough to spend a week near Quepos, but I don't recall food like that. Probably my fault, but truthfully it was there that I developed a love for black beans and rice. Great story I won't go into.

Anyway, your lunch looks wonderful. Pura vida,

What, no Moosehead! 😆

Looks Great Richard. I can see why it was Enjoyed by all.
Richard: Yep, the excellent Canadian “Moosehead” and Costa Rican “Imperial” were cooling off in those coolers behind the bottles of Tequila and Jamaican Rum. Thanx to all who have replied to this thread and the nice comments.

Attachments

• EC42B355-2CE2-4D93-8B85-3608D36DC648.jpeg
    EC42B355-2CE2-4D93-8B85-3608D36DC648.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 8CB09935-C529-4797-8A8A-6F86461B021D.jpeg
    8CB09935-C529-4797-8A8A-6F86461B021D.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Some years back we were fortunate enough to spend a week near Quepos, but I don't recall food like that. Probably my fault, but truthfully it was there that I developed a love for black beans and rice. Great story I won't go into.

Anyway, your lunch looks wonderful. Pura vida,
My Costa Rican wife says what’s pictured in the above photos is not typical Costa Rican eats. However, what's pictured grilling on my Weber Performer Deluxe is total Costa Rican Chorizo, Beef, Chicken.
The black beans and rice that you ate in Quepos is a typical Costa Rican breakfast dish called “Gallo Pinto” which also includes sides of eggs and some fried plantain.

Thank you for your nice comment.

Last edited:
Richard if I lived in Costa Rica I would think life is good too :).
The food looks amazing and I’m sure it’s all locally produced.
I am a seafood junky and something tells me that you probably have good seafood too.

Richard if I lived in Costa Rica I would think life is good too :).
The food looks amazing and I’m sure it’s all locally produced.
I am a seafood junky and something tells me that you probably have good seafood too.
Andy; Yes Life has been really good since my retirement to Costa Rica in the year 2000. My favorite Costa Rican Seafood are the Jumbo Shrimp and the Sea Bass. However, my Costa Rican Wife's Favorite is the Salmon from the Country of Chile in which I have posted pictures many times on this Forum.

Oh, the Meat that you see in the above photos cost me around Twenty-five Thousand Colones(25,000) which is presently around Thirty(37) USA Dollars. This price also included two(2) Kilos of their secret recipe Beef Sausage that I did not take a photo. They also threw-in two(2) Beef Livers as a bonus item and also delivered it to my front door at no extra charge. I have been dealing with this same Local Butcher Shop for around the last ten(10) years and they continue to provide me with excellent meat cuts for my family's BBQ Fix. They also make their secret recipe of Chorizo pictured in the above photos.

Also, can't say enough nice things about my Weber Performer Deluxe fitted with a SlowNSear Plus, Easy-Spin Grate, DripNGriddle Pan and the Grillgrates that I Purchased a few years back!

Thanx for your nice comment!

Last edited:
My congrats along with my envies. Our short time in Costa Rica was wonderful and we also considered retiring there (quite some time in the future then) but the personal obstacles became too great. We still have hopes of returning as there is so much we missed despite renting a 4WD.and touring some on our own. Oh those roads!

My congrats along with my envies. Our short time in Costa Rica was wonderful and we also considered retiring there (quite some time in the future then) but the personal obstacles became too great. We still have hopes of returning as there is so much we missed despite renting a 4WD.and touring some on our own. Oh those roads!
Yeh, "those Roads" and I fear they are they are in much worse condition since your last visit. As being a Country of many Rivers sound Bridges are a must. On the Local News-Cast the other day they reported that There are presently close to sixty-five Bridges that are in very bad shape and need immediate repairs. However, there are insufficient Public Funds to fix them all in the very near future.

Also, I don't own a car here as I take public transportation at no cost for being over the age of sixty-five(65) and when needed take a taxi at a very reasonable cost. Although the roads need some major fixing the Public Transportation is Excellent for the wife and I.

Of course, Speaking and understanding the Spanish language really eases the work in your everyday dealings here in Costa Rica. My Spanish is not on-par with my Costa Rican Wife and other Ticos but is efficient enough for my everyday dealings that are in the Spanish Language, i.e. Buying Meat and Fish, Dental and Medical Appointments,Pharmacy purchases, buying at the Local Farmers Market every Sunday Morning, Taking a Taxi, etc., etc. My wife, her family and I only communicate in Spanish. My wife took some very basic English Classes many years back but almost nothing "stuck".

Oh, I just ordered some of Chinese food over-the-phone from our favorite Chinese Restaurant all in Spanish as they do not speak english. So, if you want some of their excellent eats you must either learn some Spanish or Chinese.😋

Last edited:
At different times over the past 25 years, I have learned and forgot some Spanish. I've been fascinated by the language and even back in the '90s, with dictionary in hand, could get by for basics. Having no one like your wife to interact with, it mostly drops away, but there are rudiments. Won't happen, but sometimes fun.

LIfe IS good. Wife and I had some prime Spencer (ribeyes) tonight. Nice big thick steaks. She likes rare. I rarely get it right for her. Got her's (and mine) to a truly nice medium rare tonight. It was so tender and juicy, she didn't complain. I grilled some corn on the cob to a speckled coloring and held it in the oven until the steaks were done. They got buttered with Kerrigold and salted with some smoked salt I made. The corn was outstanding and complemented the incredibly juicy steaks which were griled over mesquite lump and supplemented with a few small pieces of mesquite wood to give some smoke flavor. Then a pat of Kerrigold irish butter was melted over the top of the steaks. All this was enhanced with a bottle of 2018 Robert Mondavi Maestro Cabernet Sauvignon. I've had better, but I can't recall when.

Back