Lets talk beer *****

Got goofy on Hoegaarden this past weekend, and that was fun. Delicious Belgian beer. Irish place in Chicago had it on special, so I thought I would give it a shot, and I was happy.

Best beer I've had a very very long time is the sour cherry stout at Destihl in Bloomington, IL. It's a small batch seasonal micro that they did this summer, holy cow is that good. Black like tar, which usually isn't my style, but I couldn't get enough of it. Had my fill at the restaurant, and brought a growler home. Really delicious stuff, highly recommend the beer, and the restaurant, if anyone is in the area.

Newcastle Brown Ale from a keg ice cold,best beer in the world
icon_smile.gif

My taste in beer varies with the season and my mood.

I'm no "beer-snob", but I know what I like when I taste it, and I'll try almost anything.

With Barbeque, I like something with a little crisp "bite" / bitterness to offset the spice & sauce:

- Gotta' agree with Jared about Boulevard from K.C. IIRC
- Anchor Steam from Left Coast hits the spot
- Dogfish Head 90-min or 60-min IPA are among my favorites
-On the lighter side, I sometimes like a little Foster's

Other favorite Summer Beers:
-New Glarus: Totally Naked, Spotted Cow, Yokel
-Leinie's Honey Weiss with a slice of lemon

I'm a big believer in quality over quantity, because Life is too short to drink crappy beer!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron G.:
My taste in beer varies with the season and my mood.

I'm no "beer-snob", but I know what I like when I taste it, and I'll try almost anything.

With Barbeque, I like something with a little crisp "bite" / bitterness to offset the spice & sauce:

- Gotta' agree with Jared about Boulevard from K.C. IIRC
- Anchor Steam from Left Coast hits the spot
- Dogfish Head 90-min or 60-min IPA are among my favorites
-On the lighter side, I sometimes like a little Foster's

Other favorite Summer Beers:
-New Glarus: Totally Naked, Spotted Cow, Yokel
-Leinie's Honey Weiss with a slice of lemon

I'm a big believer in quality over quantity, because Life is too short to drink crappy beer! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a quick note, because apparently I AM a beer-geek, Anchor Steam is from Anchor Brewing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by G Dechaine:
I'm really into drinking Moosehead. Not sure if you guys have that in the states.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Moosehead is one of my favorites for the past 15+ years. Very good lager. I live in Texas and get Moosehead in 6-packs at the HEB grocery store 'bout half mile from the house.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
Picked up a sixer of Fat Tire last night. Very nice. I turned a buddy on to a Czech beer that we can find at a local grocery store when they have it. Called Czech-Var. It's brewed in the Budweis region,it can't be sold in America under it's regular name,either Bud-Var or Budweiser. Imagine that! The last sixer I got,we noticed that it was about two months past it's best buy date. Still one of the finest lagers I've had! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I LOVE Czech-Var!!! Sam Adams is usually always on hand, but Czech-Var is my preferred beer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Curt:
Victory Prima Pils or Flying Fish Exit 16, depending on the hop profile I'm craving. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Okay, I'll amend my previous post to include Prima Pils as a favorite too. In fact, ANY Czech Pilferer will probably be alright to me
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Curt:
... Anchor Steam is from Anchor Brewing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I know - San Francisco area

I meant "Left Coast" as in California - a land where there is apparently some sort of problem with brass brushes (See Gas Grill forum)
icon_rolleyes.gif

(Then again, I shouldn't throw stones - I live in the "People's Republic of Wisconsin".)

Oh, and Wolgast - I gotta' agree with you on Newcastle Brown Ale. I love the stuff, but It's more of a Fall / Winter drink for me.

And the German in me likes plain Hoffbrau Haus original.

And yet one more - any of you try the new "Old-Furmula Schlitz"? I really like it as an every-day go-to beer. It's very drinkable - has flavor and body, but not too heavy. (Even if it really isn't made in Milwaukee any more - the address on the bottle is a P.O. Box, which was set-up specifically for "marketing" / P.R. purposes - it's owned in Chicago of all places, that's sort of like the "Get a Rope!" thing about Pace & New York City..... It's brewed under contract by a different brewery) All of the old-timers around here always said what a good beer it was before the 1970s when they turned it into another typical thinned-out, watery American mass-production beer.

(Sorry about the "history-lesson" - hopefully, a few of you out there can appreciate it.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nathan Bauer:
here is a great site for beer lovers.

Also if anyone gets to MN ever you can't go wrong with Summit Pale Ale. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nathan,
That is a great site, and I'm a member
icon_biggrin.gif

Have you been hereyet? AWESOME selection!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Besides, Miller is the hometown brew with friends STILL there... GOTTA support the HTB.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I'm buying the beer it's almost guaranteed that it's been brewed in Wisconsin (I buy Wisconsin wines as well). I figure that when I get done trying all of them then I can start with the out-of-state products.
icon_wink.gif

I travel to Iowa and Ohio every year and I always take along a case or 2 of something from here that can't be found there. People coming in from other states do the same and it makes for pretty good times, although for some reason I can't remember a whole lot about them.
icon_biggrin.gif

Brad

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chad Anderson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nathan Bauer:

Also if anyone gets to MN ever you can't go wrong with Summit Pale Ale. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nathan,
icon_biggrin.gif

Have you been hereyet? AWESOME selection! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm a BA as well. I wonder how many here are members there as well.

I like Amstel Light so much that I bought a Bev-Aire kegerator and buy the Amstel in a keg. Talk about good as a draft in a frosted pint glass. WHEW YEAH!!

Newcastle Brown. I started havin' these ohh shall we say pre-21. But got my best B-Day present ever on my 21st with a keg of this. Spent all day on that one with about 40 of my closest friends grilling and, well, drinking. That was only 13 years ago and still love it till this day!!

I can't believe no one on a smoking forum has brought up smoked beer yet! I first tried it in Bamberg Germany. The waiter at the restaurant tells me to just get a small one because it tastes like ham.....I got a big one and didn't look back. Love the stuff!

It has good reviews on the beer advocate as well.

Aecht_Schlenkerla_Rauchbier-Urbock.jpg

My number one day to day beer is Hacker Pshorr though. Easily available where I live and not much more than the domestics. I do love most micro brews though and will try them all!

Clark

I'll bring one up, Stones Smoked Porter. The first time I had this beer I was riding Amtrak's Coast Starlight rolling through the hills of Central California. A pleasant trip for both eyes and palate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chad Anderson:

Nathan,
icon_biggrin.gif

Have you been hereyet? AWESOME selection! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm a BA as well. I wonder how many here are members there as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'd bet quite a few of us.
"Beer & BBQ, they go together like.... well, beer & bbq."

bitburger_premium.jpg

I really like this stuff!
icon_cool.gif
It's a great tasting, full-bodied, beer suitable for havin' a couple or havin' a session!!!
icon_rolleyes.gif
.... AND it's available @ Sams' for just a few Deutchmarks more than premium domestics.
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_wink.gif

I prefer my own brew while Q'n unless I'm out. Currently have a Cream Ale on tap, a Belgian Dubbel in the fermenter and American Wheat, Steam Beer, Sweet Stout and Nut brown ale in bottles.

As Monty Pythos said...

We find your amercan beer to be like making love in a canoo.
Fu*king close to water.

That beeing said, I am in europe and czech beer is very good, Dutch and Belgian trappist beers are my favorite. Leffe, Orval and the like.

But sadly I usually buy 1 bottle of the good stuff and a six pack of what ever is cheapest.

Back