Lets talk beer *****

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Curt:
They're owned by SABMiller and produce almost 500,000 bbls per year, so they're not even a micro any more. Some folks make a point of trying to steer away from the Big Three in order to support the locals, so it can be nice to know such things. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm all about supporting your local brewpub/brewery and even though the old big three (Bud/Coors/Miller) are not american owned anymore, up here in the mid-north Leiny is still considered a "local" brewery.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Mccann:
Next weekend Stones Brewery in N.E. San Diego will be having their 14th anniversary beer fest. There will craft beers from small breweries all over the country and a few obscure imports. I have my ticket and I am glad that I married my designated driver. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That sounds like it will be a blast.. I have been big on Stone beers as of late, the pale ale, the IPA and maybe a big bottle of the Ruination now and again.

This weekend for my first smoke on my new WSM I enjoyed a few Stone Pale Ales and some Flying Dog Pale Ales. I enjoy IPAs but something about an American pale ale with nice citrus/piney hops to go along with 'Cue feels right... especially in the summer. I also find them a bit more "drinkable" if I am having a few.

I know I'm way late on this one but:

Franziskaner
Spaten Optimator
Joe Mama's Milk
Harpoon Leviathan

amoung others...

Even since I went to Belgium my favorite beer by far is Duvel. Tough to find in the states and sometimes its a bit pricey, but it doesn't get much better.

Being from KC, I enjoy Boulevard Unfiltered wheat also. There is a beer up in the northwest that I always enjoy. Its called Drifter. Its got a bit of a grapefruit aftertast to it, which doesn't sound good, but I really like it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Derek O:
Even since I went to Belgium my favorite beer by far is Duvel. Tough to find in the states and sometimes its a bit pricey, but it doesn't get much better.

Being from KC, I enjoy Boulevard Unfiltered wheat also. There is a beer up in the northwest that I always enjoy. Its called Drifter. Its got a bit of a grapefruit aftertast to it, which doesn't sound good, but I really like it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a shame, because Duvel is available almost everywhere in my area.

Have you had the Boulevard Saison...that is seriously rockin'!

I lean toward he Eastern European stuff, with Kozel or Staroprammen my faves. But i just returned from a trip to Western Michigan and cant say enough about the stuff New holland, Founders and Bells is putting out. I was amazed at the quality (and quantity) of the brews I had they all tend to lean to the hoppy dide but all were very well done. Having said that I always have a mini-keg of Heiny and Newkie in the fridge except when it gets in the way of a big bacon cure.

I am a self-described "beer geek", and I love a good brew with any good food off the grill/smoker! I especially love an Imperial Stout or Porter (or more specifically, a barrel-aged Imperial Stout or Porter) with any red meat that's been smoked to perfection. And, a good Barley Wine-style Ale (or simply a Barleywine) is always good with just about anything.

Some of my absolute favorites include (but are of course NOT limited to):

Rogue XS Old Crustacean Barleywine
Goose Island Bourbon County Stout
Deschutes The Abyss (2008 and 2009 vintages) Imperial Stout
Oregon Trail Bourbon Barrel Porter
Full Sail Top Sail Bourbon Barrel Aged Porter
Sierra Nevada Fritz & Ken's Ale (Imperial Stout)
Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout (a.k.a. KBS)

icon_cool.gif

Back