Let's spin four chickens, ok maybe three and I'll spatchcock the last one

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
With work and life being super busy I love making food on the weekend that helps make the weekday meals easier. My Aunt also asked if I would make her some ready made meals. She talked about this lean cuisine meal that she loves and said "every time I have it I think Michael could do this so much better." So I am going to try do do it better. It is roasted chicken, with green beans with cranberries, and a soy glaze. So to attempt to do both those above items, I decided I would cook four whole chickens to make her and us some quick meals.

I'll start off where I usually end my post. This was from this morning, it was so good!
IMG_20240914_103814.jpg

I got all four chickens prepped and ready, but...
IMG_20240914_131302.jpg

IMG_20240914_131246.jpg

Yeah, four was a touch too much for the 22 in kettle and rotisserie, so I had to pivot, let's go three spinning and one spatchcocked.
IMG_20240914_133849.jpg

Hazel was loving the weather and loving getting to be outside. I was in and out of the house getting everything set up and on the grill, she just laid in the the sun not moving the whole time.
IMG_20240914_131529~2.jpg

IMG_20240914_131543.jpg

Sorry for that interruption, chickens done.
IMG_20240914_144111.jpg

Starting to break them done.
IMG_20240914_152405.jpg

Half a chicken for my Aunt's requested meals.
IMG_20240914_155207.jpg

And all prepped for the cooking that will start tomorrow. Each black container has half a chicken and will get turned into a meal. Besides my Aunt's requested meal, meals will include Chicken al King, chicken fried rice, Pennsylvania Dutch chicken corn soup, and empanadas.The large has 1 1/2 and will get turning into tinga which will get used for two meals, enchiladas verda and tinga nachos.
IMG_20240914_162533.jpg

Time to chill until tomorrow.

Last edited:
Those look fantastic. What kind of rub did you use? That's a lot of food good for you
Two were a very simple garlic butter (4 fresh graded garlic cloves, butter, and my favorite all purpose seasoning) and two were my standard Mexican marinade.

My youngest daughter who always loved to hang out with me while I cut up, pull, prep meats and she was with me the whole prep, she was my container person. She and I enjoyed all the wings and a some of the very best crispy skin. The food was so good, the company was even better! We both were blown away on how much flavor was on the simple garlic butter wings. It was just the perfect amount of flavor to chicken ratio.

WOW!

Never thought to do 3 at at time!

How did you arrange the coals for both the roti and spatchcock cook?
I used the slow and sear anytime I use the rotisserie vs. using the two Weber charcoal baskets. That was something I learned here and love. So with using the slow and sear it created the perfect space to set up the spatchcock in a two zone indirect cooking area.

As they cooked the spatchcock laded behind (about 5 to 10 degrees) for most the cook, but keep getting closer and closer to same same temp and by the time I pulled them, I pulled all four at the he same time.

I used the slow and sear anytime I use the rotisserie vs. using the two Weber charcoal baskets. That was something I learned here and love. So with using the slow and sear it created the perfect space to set up the spatchcock in a two zone indirect cooking area.

As they cooked the spatchcock laded behind (about 5 to 10 degrees) for most the cook, but keep getting closer and closer to same same temp and by the time I pulled them, I pulled all four at the he same time.
Might need to look into the slow and sear. I have the twin Weber baskets and the Vortex. When I have rotisseried I use the split baskets with drip pan in middle.

Might need to look into the slow and sear. I have the twin Weber baskets and the Vortex. When I have rotisseried I use the split baskets with drip pan in middle.
When I first started with the rotisserie I did the same thing one Weber charcoal basket on each sides. However, someone here on the website I don't remember I wish I did so I can give them credit, shared how they use the slow n sear to mimic what you do with the infrared burner on a charcoal grill or a traditional rotisserie where you're getting heat on one side and not the other. I tried it I have never gone back to one Weber charcoal basket on each side.

When I first started to get involved on this site, 4 or 5 years ago a lot of people praised the slow n sear however I was totally against liking it because I wanted to be against slow n sear
Right around that time slow n sear was promoting their 22-in kettle that was a knockoff of the Weber but supposedly better in every way so I didn't want to support them. However, also from this site I learned that slow n sear having a massive sale and their stable product was over 50% off so I said screw it I'll get it and try. Many years later now, the truth is the slow n sear is absolutely my most used grilling accessory I have. It almost always stays in my master touch kettle unless I'm pulling it to use some other accessory. It gets used for all those weekday meals grilled chicken for salads or wraps or tacos (that doesn't get posted on this site most times). It creates the perfect two zone cooking area and I use it on all of my reverse seat steaks, I love it for hot fast ribs. It is so easy to shake out the ash and use the old charcoal, heat up some new and keep cooking from one night to the next. It is more like a part of the grill at this point then an accessory.

So here is this morning quad shot Cortoda latte art. Not as good as yesterday's, but still just as tasty.
IMG_20240915_085218.jpg

So the best few hours of the weekend were today when my youngest daughter and I just cooked together in the kitchen.
We made my Aunt's requested meals.
4 meals of rotisserie chicken, green beans with cranberries, brown rice on the bottom, and a little mild teriyaki sauce on top (and more in a little cup on top of the container).
IMG_20240915_152005.jpg

We also prepared the tinga and salsa Verde for tomorrow nights dinner.
IMG_20240915_161737.jpg
IMG_20240915_222130.jpg
Then we made homemade biscuits
IMG_20240915_171516.jpg

To go along with Chicken Al King.
IMG_20240915_170632.jpg

It didn't thicken up how I wanted but I surrender and served dinner.

Ok now back to the grind, but I get to make Tinga Chicken Enchiladas Verda tomorrow. This meal is a heavy weight contender for my most favorite meal ever.

Michael, bro, really?!?! Outstanding on all fronts, my man! I have to ask, how'd that rotisserie motor sound with that load on there?!?! :) (I ask as a non-recovering, rotisserie over-loader!) ;)

Oh, and love the latte art! I've tried, but consistently suck at milk foaming, so I haven't really been able to see how bad my art could be! Good thing I pretty much just prefer my espresso as a straight shot (ristretto for me), or an Americano if I have to tame the caffeine high a bit! :)

Loving all the prepped meals for you and Auntie!

R

Michael, bro, really?!?! Outstanding on all fronts, my man! I have to ask, how'd that rotisserie motor sound with that load on there?!?! :) (I ask as a non-recovering, rotisserie over-loader!) ;)

Oh, and love the latte art! I've tried, but consistently suck at milk foaming, so I haven't really been able to see how bad my art could be! Good thing I pretty much just prefer my espresso as a straight shot (ristretto for me), or an Americano if I have to tame the caffeine high a bit! :)

Loving all the prepped meals for you and Auntie!

R
Oh man, I always worry about the sound in the motor, but when I was attending the four, even the spit was bending. Just too much.
I have gone the other way, I like a lungo with a 3:1 ratio or a, standard espresso with a 2.5:1 ratio. The reason I have been posting my morning latte art is because I am really loving an espresso tonic for my second drink of the day.

Back