Lets see how good these smokey Mts really are...

Mike Isaacson

TVWBB Fan
Ok started my smoker about 15 min ago, Temp is *8, wind is 15mph -10 wind chill snowing 1/2 inch an hour with smoker on the deck, going to put 2 10lb buts in for pulled pork tommrow... Will follow up with pics......

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE......

Good luck Mike, just remember she will maintain temp but with that wind and the outside temp so low she will go through fuel doing it. Be ready for that. And a wind break really helps.
Merry Christmas Brother

Also a little confused by your timeline. For large butts, I figure 12 hours until done. You plan on opening these up at 5am like Christmas presents? lol

I've done a blizzard-butt cook before. Temps will fluctuate, but that's due to the wind. It'll hold the proper cooking temps, but you'll burn through fuel pretty good.

Ok. Sorry for the long delay, it has been a hectic few days around here, with the snow/blowing snow and christmas but I did take pics of everything so I could keep my promise to yuall.

Like I had said b4 I was nervous about the cook with the weather but the smoker did an awsome job, (much better than me). As Chad noted timeline was confusing, the reason I put them on @ 4:00 pm is because my family had to be at my parent place by 5:00pm for christmas, then back home around 9:00pm for about a half hr to check on things, then out to plow untill about 2:30a. We needed to have this for lunch on Christmas day at a different location with travel time... Any way lets get started....

Butts rubbed with Bone Sucken Rub. I dont remember how big they were but they were bigger than I had done b4.

This is what it looked like outside... Pennies from the sky.

Ok pig on @ 4:30 with a combo of cherry and apple, I had the smoker settled in at 230f with an absolute full load of Stubbs charcoal, (I think I can go now). Came back from my parents home for Christmas eve still snowing and blowing with a couple of inches on the ground.. I check the temp the smoker had climbed to 265f and meat was at 159f, I choked it down a little bit and knocked the ash of the coals then I went to town to plow. When I got back home around 2:30 this is where I ran into some trouble smoker temp was down to 180f and the meat had also dropped to 154f, I added more charcoal and wood and watched the temp come up for the next hour. (it is now 4:30) 11 hrs into the cook I set the mavric for over temp, undertemp, and meat temp alrms and went to bed 1 hr later I was woke up by the Mavric, the smoker was @270 so I chokes it down a bit and decided I was still tired and the meat still had about 15 degrees to go and that the Mavric would let me know when we hit the mark.
I was next woke up by my kids @ 7:30 and the fist thing I thought of was not my kids opening the presents but..... Yep my buts are still on the smoke I run to the mavric and it is dead. I went outside Smoker temp is 175f meat is at 235f and it has been on the smoker for 15.5 hrs.
I fork it and think feels ok, then I bring it in the house to foil it and I think, it looks ok, taste it..... Tastes good, so I foil with some apple juice and throw into a cooler for the 12:00 Christmas dinner.

This was some of the best tasting /best texture/ best color pork I have ever made and I thought I ruined it.... All in all this smoker kicked winter butt.

I also made some Apple Pie to pass around after Dinner, the recipe is on this site and I know Morgan just made some because that is where I got the idea.. Thanks for the idea Morgan this stuff was great.

This is also why I have not been able to follow up on this post untill now.

I will disagree just a bit:

>>>All in all this smoker kicked winter butt.<<<

Actually, with the use of a WSM, this COOK kicked winter butt!!

Good job under difficult circumstances. Heck, anyone can smoke when it is 75 degrees outside. It takes a real COOK to do it under adverse conditions!

"You da man"!!

Keep on smokin'
Dale53
:wsm:

Nicely done! Usually as long as the temp is on the way down you can get away going longer than planned cook on the WSM.

Well done sir! My big cook was at like ten degrees too and went just about like yours. I like summer cooking better but addiction knows no seasons! Lol. Happy holidays

Back