Let’s make some tri tips (and some chicken)

Rubbed and then made wet.

1682294905480.jpeg

1682294953029.jpeg

1682294967121.jpeg

slightly modified version of this:

When your oak split is too long. You let it rest so it’ll self fit.

1682295983732.jpeg

Chicken’s about 50% done.

1682296024361.jpeg

Something different.

1682296065089.jpeg

Needs 2° more.

1682297331997.jpeg

Last edited:
How long was the cook time on the TT?
Because I was only running one CB, with that oak split, total cooktime, rotating all 3 TTs every 5 mins (flip and change positions) ran around 50 minutes. I would have preferred a hotter grill but I didn’t want to add more fuel and futz with moving stuff around.

The TTs were very good. Juicy, flavorful and excellent smoke profile. I’d do this method again, but budget my time a little better so as to start around 30 minutes earlier.

hahahahaha. At 118-127°. Cranking up the heat right now to get to the finish line.

View attachment 69555

I only ran one CB with leftover JD and then added a split oak. The smell is intoxicating.

Neighbor prairie dogged over the fence to ask what I was cooking.

He has a Traeger. Nuff said.

View attachment 69556

View attachment 69557

View attachment 69558

View attachment 69559

View attachment 69560

View attachment 69561
Dang Brett! I'd run over the mountain for some of those groceries and the Cab too.

Looks extra juicy and tender.....I don't have or use oak around here.....funny comment on the neighbor, my last neighbor used to do the same but he didn't grill, he ate what his mostly vegetarian wife ate....let's just say when I came over with jerky or some burnt ends he would just open the door with a grin ear to ear and never asked questions.
Delicious, I can't stop looking.......not sure what that red stuff..........:censored: is on your bun but the protein looks 10 out of 10.
I wish our Costco sold them in bulk like that......and if they did the price would be easily over $250.

Last edited:
Dang Brett! I'd run over the mountain for some of those groceries and the Cab too.
The unfortunate part is I only have one of these cabs left in my collection and the winery was sold back in 2016. This bottle just doesn’t exist anymore.

The cab was perfect. A true example of an excellent Napa Cab. I have others, more Napa Cabs, but will miss this winery and wine after we drink the last one. Kinda sad. But life marches on.

The TTs really were special. If you’re not cooking TT over live fire, you’re missing out. Using briqs is cheating oneself out of what could be an amazing cook and meal.

Even JD, while really good, is still shy of live oak fire on a TT.

I encourage everyone who reads this to at least try a TT over live oak fire. And red oak if you can find some. I only have access to white oak (similar to Post oak, but from CA). You’ll really get your TT to next level.

And after all, many people here are super enthusiasts so this is a worthwhile investment in time and effort.

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Looks extra juicy and tender.....I don't have or use oak around here.....funny comment on the neighbor, my last neighbor used to do the same but he didn't grill, he ate what his mostly vegetarian wife ate....let's just say when I came over with jerky or some burnt ends he would just open the door with a grin ear to ear and never asked questions.
Delicious, I can't stop looking.......not sure what that red stuff..........:censored: is on your bun but the protein looks 10 out of 10.
I wish our Costco sold them in bulk like that......and if they did the price would be easily over $250.
Thank you. The sando was Costco fresh baguette, kewpie mayo, two lines of sriracha and fresh red onions. I did serve pickles at the table but I didn’t see a need to cut the fat with acid as that’s what the Cabernet was for.

I prefer to buy in bulk for the savings and less adulteration of Costco proteins. With three of these TTs left, I should be able to get through June or so.

Glad you enjoyed this cook. I had fun making it.

All kidding aside, another epic cook / thread. That TT is something else
I hope you get a chance to try for yourself the live oak experience. You should easily be able to source some by you.

I need to make some time with my chainsaw and make new chunks. And I have a smallish oak tree I’m about to fell as part of my front landscaping redo project. Along with a plum tree too.

Back