Latest rehab finished and listed for sale

Oh, and just an update on my latest rehab project. The E310 front burner that I posted some photos of earlier in this thread. I swept the dirt and crud out of the cabinet and started dissasembly, but I haven't found any real rust any where. I am shocked. I am thinking I won't have to even paint anything. Just a good cleaning and replace the grates and flavo bars and up for sale. I still have some dissasembly to do, but I am stuck by not being able to remove the control knobs. I can't get the valve cover off without getting the knobs off and I can't get the manifold or burner tubes out to be able to remove the cook box.

I have a thread already for help on removing the control knobs, so if you have advice on that, post it there please. But this looks like it might be one of my easiest flips yet.

Oh, and just an update on my latest rehab project. The E310 front burner that I posted some photos of earlier in this thread. I swept the dirt and crud out of the cabinet and started dissasembly, but I haven't found any real rust any where. I am shocked. I am thinking I won't have to even paint anything. Just a good cleaning and replace the grates and flavo bars and up for sale. I still have some dissasembly to do, but I am stuck by not being able to remove the control knobs. I can't get the valve cover off without getting the knobs off and I can't get the manifold or burner tubes out to be able to remove the cook box.

I have a thread already for help on removing the control knobs, so if you have advice on that, post it there please. But this looks like it might be one of my easiest flips yet.

Wow, that is a miracle grill! Only one that I got was even close to that good of condition. Hope it sells well!

Yah, I still have to grind out the cook box and the lid needs its time as well with simple green and steel wool but I am shocked the cabinet is looking good. Anyway, I think I might still have to paint the cook box and side caps due to the black stains from smoke and grease where it escapes between the two. But it is too bad, because the paint on them is in otherwise great shape. I just don't know how to remove the black staining without damaging the underlying paint.

I was looking at a high heat primer today that looked pretty close to the Weber gray color. I wonder if you could use that as paint and then top coat with high heat gloss (or matte) spray? I also looked at the texture spray to consider trying my idea of sandwiching it between layers of high heat black. The can clearly stated not to use where temperatures were expected to exceed 200 degrees. That deterred me from pursuing for now so I guess I have more wire brushing to do:(.

Yah, I saw a couple primers that looked real good too. I suppose that a high heat clear gloss would work as a top coat if you want the gloss look. I think gloss is OK on the end caps, but I prefer matte on the cook box.

Yah, I saw a couple primers that looked real good too. I suppose that a high heat clear gloss would work as a top coat if you want the gloss look. I think gloss is OK on the end caps, but I prefer matte on the cook box.

Yes I think you are right. Do you think that primer and just a matte or gloss coat would work?

There is nothing wrong with using black. I just feel that the gray color is part of the look of 300 series grills. I guess that keeps me looking for a way to keep it. Sounds like on your current project it might look good since you don’t need to do a lot of other painting.

Bruce if you haven't gotten those knobs off try using a heat gun. I think you can direct some heat under the panel toward the knob stems which may help

Larry, I got them off by prying with a screwdriver while wiggling them back and forth.

I've fought the knob wars a couple of times Bruce, those little suckers don't like to let go. I got mine off the same way you did.

Jon, there is a thread aways back and they used this spar. https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000LNS882/tvwb-20

More than the Helmsman but its marine grade which I would think would hold up better than the helmsman. Pricey but the guy reported back after 2 years and it was holding up well. Jeff was going to try it I think.

They sell it at Rockwell also but the price was way higher than Amazon.

Brian,

Thanks for the recommendation. I went ahead and purchased a can on Amazon with Discover points;). I really do hope to get busy in the next couple weeks with my oak boards. I will use this spar and let you and everyone know how it goes. Then, the real test: our salt air, high heat & sun, coastal Florida environment. I hope I can avoid the problems you have mentioned, but I am willing to take the chance on this grill because stained oak is an important part of the special look I am trying for.

Really appreciate you letting me know about this product. It appears to be intended for my climate situation.

Jon

Back