Late Night Odyssey

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Father/daughter dance tomorrow night for two of my girls, and we're hosting a pre-dance dinner at the house. So, just put a couple of butts on the WSM so they can slumber away the night at a cozy 240 degrees..... Couldn't think of who else might care at midnight other than all of you folks, so thought I'd throw up a few pics of the cook thus far..... Who knows, maybe TonyUK, Wolgast, or Enrico will see these on their way to work, or on the morning break for coffee/tea! :)

Boneless butts tied up:

IMG_0636.JPG

Rubbed up with Dizzy Dust and Fajita-ish (ran out of DD!!)

IMG_0637.JPG

In bed on bottom grate (need the top for ABT's tomorrow):

IMG_0638.JPG

Hope everyone State-side is sleeping well....I will be shortly. More to come tomorrow.

Rich

Hey Rich. Sipping my morning coffee here, everything looks great on the WSM in the Bay Area. Look forward to seeing the results.

ps. Sleep well, the butts will take care of themselves.....:)

Last edited:
Hey, guys, thanks for the check in from across the Pacific and Atlantic!! :) Everything went just fine while I slept (thank you Weber), so it looks like we don't need to have the pizza guy on hold for today.

Status check.....:

IMG_0639.JPG

More to come as I go, but for now, I need to get my first cup of joe so I can face the day. :p

Rich

Shawn, J Kloeker is correct, I left the top grate empty so I could put on a couple dozen ABTs later for some smoke. Normally, I cook on the top grate, too. However, I find that since this 22" WSM eats a lot of fuel, I try to fill it up (and then my freezer) with as much as I can. A normal load would be those two butts along with at least a couple of chickens......amazing how many uses one can find for shredded, smoked chicken! :)

Oh, and I feel better now.....got my morning cup!

a-vYNmcu2WPJRjaP7HRpxMpfsTT629r7KfnTAUNpXio=w958-h1276-no

Rich

Looks great so far Rich! I love doing overnight smokes, and you can't beat the WSM's temp stability. Curious, are you going to add fresh smoke wood when you add the ABT's? If so, did you use less smoke wood last night on the butts than you normally would if you weren't adding more food later on? I've pondered about this a bit in a couple of my smokes, where I added other food after the larger items had already been smoking for a while. I was concerned that I'd be oversmoking the butt by adding fresh wood for the smaller items, but also concerned that the butt wouldn't take on enough smoke while still at relatively cool temps if I didn't use the normal amount of smoke wood in the beginning. In my experience, it probably didn't matter, but I was curious as to what you're going to do.

Last edited:
Chris-

I will probably toss a small chunk on when I do the ABT's. They don't need much anyway, and I really don't think it will affect the butts at all. Since there is such a small surface to mass ratio (as compared to, say, ribs), that small of a smoke addition will not lead to oversmoking the butts in any way, so I'm not concerned. Oh, and I did put on the normal amount of wood when I got started.

R

Chris-

I will probably toss a small chunk on when I do the ABT's. They don't need much anyway, and I really don't think it will affect the butts at all. Since there is such a small surface to mass ratio (as compared to, say, ribs), that small of a smoke addition will not lead to oversmoking the butts in any way, so I'm not concerned. Oh, and I did put on the normal amount of wood when I got started.

R

Thanks Rich. I believe you're right about the surface/mass ratio. Good point.

Back