Last local sweet corn of season

Last here was a week or so back, things have been so busy, I didn’t get time to enjoy this season’s offerings! Heading to the “off day” farmers market tomorrow morning. Will chat them up a bit.

Last local sweet corn of the season. Stopped at TJ's farm in Belvidere. They thought they'd be able to go until Halloween but the cold snap put the kibosh on that.
Roasting in the Q320
View attachment 61341
Reminds me of the days of my youth when I would spend Summers in Indiana at my Dad's farm. My buddies and I would clear out a spot in his corn field to camp out and build a small fire, roast some ears right on the coals. It was a meal. Mid-late 60's, we were kings!

Is this yellow kernel or white pearl kernel sweet corn? If the latter, eat it raw!
The stuff I usually get from my 2 favorite growers (Blackmer's in Cherry Valley and TJ's in Belvidere) is yellow to bi-color. Both are very sweet and yes can be eaten raw. But, I find a good roasting on the grill in the husks gives it even more dimension to it's taste. Love the stuff

The stuff I usually get from my 2 favorite growers (Blackmer's in Cherry Valley and TJ's in Belvidere) is yellow to bi-color. Both are very sweet and yes can be eaten raw. But, I find a good roasting on the grill in the husks gives it even more dimension to it's taste. Love the stuff
I usually shuck it, wrap in foil with a couple of pats of butter and a tablespoon water...... And throw in the smoker with most things I cook for the last 30 minutes. Sometimes will preseason it so I don't even need to put salt on it later. It's easy but to be totally honest the best way to cook corn is to boil it briefly a pot of water.... The kernels come out so much more big plump and juicy than any other way of cooking it. At least in my experience.

I never cook it in water. When you get corn fresh from the field that's just making corn soup. Roasting right in the husk keeps all the flavor in it. Maybe when you buy it at a super market boiling it is OK, but once I can't get it from my local growers here I don't bother with it.

We get our Annual Sugar Grove Corn Boil at the end of the season.
I can go either way but prefer them husk on and grilled.
Wrapping in foil is steaming and like baked potatoes I'm not a fan.;)

This year I enjoyed Mirai sweet corn the most. Seems like the freezing
nights this week have done in whats left.

The 2 growers I get mine from have such good stuff Mirai would blush with shame :D You almost need a dentist after eating it

I never cook it in water. When you get corn fresh from the field that's just making corn soup. Roasting right in the husk keeps all the flavor in it. Maybe when you buy it at a super market boiling it is OK, but once I can't get it from my local growers here I don't bother with it.
Could not agree more. Got probably my last batch of local corn yesterday at my local mom and pop store. I cringe when I see people taking the husks off.

Could not agree more. Got probably my last batch of local corn yesterday at my local mom and pop store. I cringe when I see people taking the husks off.
Oh that makes me so crazy. I hate people that pull them down then throw the ear back on the pile. I want to strangle those people. It's so ignorant plus it's so easy to know a good ear of corn simply by the color of the silk, the feel and weight of the ear and the moisture (or lack of) on the stem

Our last fresh corn was back in July and then the family has been there forever posted they were going out of business and wouldn’t be back the following year so now we’re gonna have to find a new spot 😎

Back