LarryS Genesis Platinum C resto-mod thread

Unless you are moving the grill a lot I would not worry about the plastic caster wheels. I have used these and they have been working fine. The pair for $7.
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001HYY0L8/tvwb-20

Stefan;

Good price! I do move the grill around a lot though. I grill all year round, so from November through April it's in my garage and I wheel it out into the driveway and then wheel it back in after cooking. The rest of the year it's on a patio in a corner when not in use and then wheeled out to use.

I totally agree with Stefan my 1000 has those casters, the Silver C will have those casters and the 1100 will have them. They seem to work fine, mine is on a deck seldom moved anyway.

Here's what I just ordered, not the cheapest but didn't break the bank. Hopefully they get here by the weekend.

Here is the larger wheel that will mount on the axle.

fSCX0Z1.jpg

I hope the color in real life looks close to this, because it seems pretty close to the painted panel and plastic shelf color. The axles on the grill are 2" long, and these wheels are a little wider, so I plan on drilling and tapping a hole along the axis of the axle to accept a screw to hold the wheel from coming off. Additionally, the ID of the wheel's bearing is 0.5" but the axle is 0.375" diameter, so I'll turn a couple of brass bushings on the lathe. More details here on the wheel if you care to click: https://shop.servicecaster.com/8-inch-Thermoplastic-Rubber-on-Poly-Wheel-p/scc-tprbd820.htm

For the "steering" wheels, I went with these (and I took Dave in KC's advice and went with Zinc instead of SS):

qSSyqiC.jpg

I need to decide if I will get another set of plastic inserts for the tubes to hold them, or while the lathe is powered up, make my own threaded insert. More details on these wheels are here if you care: https://shop.servicecaster.com/3inc...ne-Wheel-p/scc-ts20s314-ppub-tlb-381615-m.htm

Larry

Last edited:
Just need a lawn mower motor and you will be able to drive that thing down the highway.

Or, bend or cut it to accommodate the new catches. Larry as you realize....whatever solution you settle on is hidden so OEM appearance is kind of pointless.Its whatever works for the best price!

Last edited:
I built a wooden floor for my Platinum. Originally it was in the frame of a Gold C and a few weeks ago I transferred it over to the Platinum frame. I use washers on the front where the magnets of the doors stick to.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pUQGdcoHeksCyD2q7
The only change I made after I mounted it to the Platinum frame: I painted the small black wood lip in the front silver so it better blends with the SS frame:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MZ2mzkwsQ6E4Axu57
The floor may not look that sophisticated but it will never rust. I used cedar wood with 3 coats of polyurethane. And it is behind closed doors.

I built a wooden floor for my Platinum.

Nice job Stefan. That's my plan B in case the Eastwood RE does not do the trick.

Well I have a feeling plan B might become plan A. Here's a picture of the painted tray after a coat of the Eastwood and then a coat of the Ford Gray. Looks pretty bad. I know it's out of sight out most of the time, but I do store my grate brushes down there so I'm going to see it every time.

KKJGyle.jpg

I'll install it and see if I can live with it, but something tells me it will bug me too much.

The wheels came and I spent some time installing them. Man these things are serious - grease zerks and everything..... Perhaps I went overboard? :cool:

The stock axles shown for the big wheels are 3/8" diameter and 2" long:

91dnrd9.jpg

But the new wheels bearing ID is 1/2" and the wheels are about 2.5" thick at the bearings, so a sleeve is necessary. I couldn't find one with the thin wall dimension I needed so I need to make one. My original plan was to make the sleeve essentially a tube, then drill and tap the stock axles along their axis, and put a screw and washer on there to hold the wheel from coming off. I had to rig up a jig so ridiculously complicated (even for me!) to hold the legs in place for my drill press at the perfect angle to drill and tap along the axle. It was a gigantic pain, and I am glad no one was around to hear what I said when I busted the tap inside the axle. :(

I ended up making a sleeve that had a blind hole for the axle and some material left at the end to hold some threads for a screw. I then slid the sleeve on the axle and pinned it like so:

qukTRhP.jpg

And here's the big wheels mounted:

aXrAdHg.jpg

Now on to the smaller wheels. The new wheels are 3" diameter vs the original ones being 2". And there is some additional height due to the ball bearing raceway. So, this would mean the grill would be 1.25" higher on one side than the other. So I took some material off the legs to equalize things. I ended up using a sawzall with a carbide blade and it went through the stainless like butter. I put a block of wood inside the tubes to stabilize them during cutting, and used the sawzall to get close to the line:

hWXFEPb.jpg

And then use the disc sander to get them dressed to the right dimension.

I could not find the right size plastic insert for the leg tube dimensions, plus the plastic probably wouldn't have held up anyway. So back to the lathe to make an insert:

xboJNrl.jpg

jwC1bJO.jpg

And here it is mounted to the stem:

YFMcpBx.jpg

And then the whole thing inserted into the leg:

UyZZbLz.jpg

I had planned on squaring off the flange of the insert to match the leg tube profile, but i decided I like the rounded look as is (and happy to have less work).

Tomorrow she starts going back together!

Last edited:
Looking good Larry! I wouldn't worry too much about the tray, it looks great and I think you'll forget about how it looks in a couple of weeks even though you'll be storing your brushes in there.

Yes. better than any weber grill. You can ride that grill from the garage all the way to the end of the driveway.

Now that grill has WHEELS! You might want to put a "Hot Wheels" sticker on yours the way I put a "The Judge" sticker on my hot-rodded old Sunbeam;)!

I wouldn't worry about the bottom myself. I don't think it is worth additional effort. You've protected it and it should last a long time. The long-term solution I see for these Silver/Gold/Platinum grills with these trays is to add two horizontal frame bars and then have a sheet metal shop make a much simpler stainless drop in tray. The Weber design tries to double as a structural component. The many bends make it an expensive piece to manufacture - or to replicate. I am actually also looking at using durawood slats with aluminum z bars for those bottoms. That would be rust-proof, as well, and allow the cabinet to "breathe." Still requires adding the horizontal frame pieces, of course.

Now that grill has WHEELS! You might want to put a "Hot Wheels" sticker on yours the way I put a "The Judge" sticker on my hot-rodded old Sunbeam;)!

Maybe it's time for someone to design and make an official Virtual Weber Bulletin Board sticker so we can advertise our cult membership.

This one sure brings back memories from when I was a kid:

BuKYXvn.jpg

Those style stickers from back in the 70's were so much fun.
John seems to have skills and resources for designing and producing some awful nice stickers.....????
I don't know about others, but if we could come up something cool and unique, I would pay for them. Maybe a sticker for the specific Skyline club as well?

Back