Lamb Shanks on the WSM

Gregory R

TVWBB All-Star
"I've been wanting to do something different, so picked up some lamb shanks and figured I'd try smoking them. After I shoveled out a spot for the WSM got her started Minion style with KBB and apple wood.

Here are the shanks ready to season

Rubbed them with a mix of lots of stuff

I soaked some Rosemary sprigs to throw on the coals when I put on the shanks to add an extra layer of flavor.

Made a mop sauce with the remainder of the rub and some ketchup, molasses, apple cider vinegar and red wine.

Speaking of red wine; enjoyed a nice Spanish Rioja

3 Hours and counting - mopped a little

I had planned to cook until "I achieved an IT of 185, but it stalled at 150 for quite a while. After four hours I was concerned that the meat would dry out, so I pulled it, foiled it, and let it rest for about 20 minutes.

Served with Saffron Couscous and steamed broccoli. Lamb was cooked nice and pink and very tender. Not exactly what I had planned, but all in all it turned out pretty good.

Dig in!! There's plenty for everyone!!

Thanks for stopping by . . .

Thanks for sharing that great looking cook. Mop sauce looks like it could get used again and again on everything.

Gregory looks great. I've never had Lamb, maybe I should try it sometime. Does it taste like chicken?

Unique cook, was it very tough, or tender?

John, it wasn't "fall off the bone" tender but it wasn't tough at all. More like roast lamb. I was trying to get the IT up to around 185 - 190 and pull it, but this worked out too. Once I figure out why it stalled at 150, I am going to try it again.

Back