Ladies & Gentlemen...Start Your Smokers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's 10 PM and the butts holding steady at 225°. I'll wake up too early tomorrow and put the brisket flat on about 10. We eat at 6. Follow your nose and come on over!
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I missed it today, but will smoke on Sunday 5/27. Sorry I couldn't be there with all of you.

Jane </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also had plans do a turkey on Smoke Day, but had to smoke it on Thursday instead as my wife planned a last minute weekend trip to the Spoleto Festival in Charleston, SC. My heart was with every one of you.

BTW, we tried to get to Husk restaurant as recommended on this board, but it was too packed and crowded. Instead we were recommended to try two new restaurants that we found to be superb. If you are in Charleston try Hominy Grill and The Grocery. Both are on Cannon Street.

Ray

Whew, I made it!
wsmsmile8gm.gif
1 10 lb butt and 1 10 b picnic went into my baby at 2:30 am Saturday morning. I used Nature's Own Maple Lump Charcoal and 6 chunks of Peach. 13 hours later they hit 180 and I pulled them off, double wrapped them in heavy duty foil and tucked them into the oven (unlit) to rest for another 2 hours. Pulled beautifully and seasoned up with the traditional red pepper flakes and apple cider vinegar. It tastes fantastic!

@Jane,it's okay if you didn't smoke anything yesterday. I didn't even fire the WSM up until 9 last night.
But like I said in my last post,I woke up at 6:30 this morning. I turned on the coffee maker and stepped out back. WSM was holding steady at 225°! Woo hoo! I love that thing! At 9 I chucked some more K in just to make sure and put 2 small(2.5 pound each) brisket flats on. They smell so good with that coffee rub!
About an hour ago,I sauteed some onion in bacon lardons and added some pork and beans and some of the bbq sauce I made last night. That went on the lower rack under the briskets. The butt came off at the same time and is resting in a cooler. Man,the house and back yard smell great!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Cooked 12 Chicken Breasts, 5 lb. Sausage, and two 8 lb. Pork Shoulders. I owe it all to WSM! I did make the Smoke Day - now I don't have to cook the rest of the weekend!!!!!!!

Two PBs off at 8am today after a 17 1/2 hour smoke. Internal temps at 205. Meat is very moist, with an excellent smoke flavor from using a combination of apple wood and blackjack oak wood. All BBQ has been pulled and seasoned with a little dry rub and North Carolina style vinegar sauce. The coleslaw and buns are waiting for the BBQ party to begin. Will post pictures next time, once I get this URL thing figured out. Unfortunately there is a "tech learning curve" for some of us baby boomers...you know.

Smoke Day VIII photos from yesterday. 3 WSMs were used to smoke ribs, chicken, brisket, and pork butt (16 hour smoke) for over 70 hungry folks. Even had to employ my tried and true red head kettle for 150 chicken wings as appetizers before the main course.

Enjoyed the day and looking forward to the next.

Mike

d1017406.jpg

634fa424.jpg

9b58280e.jpg

I took the briskets off about a half an hour ago and they are keeping the butt company in the cooler. The kitchen sink mac salad is waiting to be mixed together and my god daughter is keeping me company while Pammi Sue makes an ice run. Gonna eat,excuse me Jim,eet
icon_biggrin.gif
in about 45 minutes. I'll take a pic of the spread then.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jane Cherry:
I missed it today, but will smoke on Sunday 5/27. Sorry I couldn't be there with all of you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My SD8 was Sunday too!

Fired up the WSM for a 12.2# HH brisket on the WSM. Then lit the performer for some pigs in a blanket and biscuits;
Turkeys2012024.jpg

I forgot to take a picture of the brisket until the very end, but here's the point;
Turkeys2012026.jpg

for desert we had a mixed berry pie cooked on my pellet grill;
Turkeys2012025.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M. Chesney:
Smoke Day VIII photos from yesterday. 3 WSMs were used to smoke ribs, chicken, brisket, and pork butt (16 hour smoke) for over 70 hungry folks. Even had to employ my tried and true red head kettle for 150 chicken wings as appetizers before the main course.
Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>AWESOME photos Mike!!
Tell us, did you get Smoke Day shirts for EVERYONE??!!
again, GREAT PHOTOS!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M. Chesney:
again, GREAT PHOTOS! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
again, GREAT PHOTOS! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim-

Thanks for the compliments. We do this every year and our tradition as you can see from the evening photo is we wear last years shirt and the next day unveil the new ones. We had a blast and nothing was left over. I'm equally impressed with your set up. Where did you get the awesome patio gazebo? Did you build that yourself or is it a manufacture kit?

Mike

Jim-

Forgot to add. Those that smoked were the only ones worthy to wear the highly coveted WSM VIII smoke day shirts.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back