Labor Day shopping

Actually as I pointed out it's NOT the "breed" it's how they're raised. Tilapia (also known as Nile Perch, Bible Fish or Jesus Fish) is a member of the Sunfish family i.e. Bluegill, Sunfish, Pumpkin Seed, and a number of others here in the USA. They are native to the Nile river basin and many historians believe are the same fish that fishermen in biblical times fished for and the same fish used by Jesus in the "miracle of the loaves and fishes". So in and of itself AGAIN it's a fish that can be very nice to eat (much like the panfish we eat here in the US). I stand firm in what I said about it though and I refuse to buy it because I have NEVER found it that had been raised in a healthy and sound way. Whether Costco decides to do the right thing I don't know. I know Sam's Club does NOT and typically these large clubs all sell the same products. So your guess is as good as mine whether your wife brought home responsibly raised Tilapia or not.
Would I eat it? Sure IF and ONLY IF I could find it traceably raised and documented otherwise not on your life. To date I have NEVER found it available like this. This may be simply a result of where I live (hell I can't even find decent deli here).
I was only trying to emphasize the severity of how bad some of the sea food we get here in the US is and a personal slap was uncalled for! So Brian gee thanks for that!

Larry, I am confused on why you think it was a personal slap. Did you read the article it basically backed up what you were saying about the environment and knowing where the Tilapia came from. The article points to a company that supplies Costco and Kroger, Sams Club is not mentioned.

It appears that company goes to great lengths to ensure its raised properly.

Larry,

That was NOT a personal slap any more than your comments, which I believe are pretty valid, was intended as a slap at my wife's purchasing choice - at least I would hope! I was just feeling so proud of myself that I took your advice and grilled my wife some fish only to be humiliated that I had grilled something held in such disdane:(

I am not at all a fish person, but at least I have learned something here. Next time it will be Grouper or Mahi Mahi. I will just have to sell one of my grills first:rolleyes:!

Jon

Larry, I am confused on why you think it was a personal slap. Did you read the article it basically backed up what you were saying about the environment and knowing where the Tilapia came from. The article points to a company that supplies Costco and Kroger, Sams Club is not mentioned.

It appears that company goes to great lengths to ensure its raised properly.

Just the wording appeared a bit "aggressive" is all. If not mea culpa accept my apology

Larry,

That was NOT a personal slap any more than your comments, which I believe are pretty valid, was intended as a slap at my wife's purchasing choice - at least I would hope! I was just feeling so proud of myself that I took your advice and grilled my wife some fish only to be humiliated that I had grilled something held in such disdane:(

I am not at all a fish person, but at least I have learned something here. Next time it will be Grouper or Mahi Mahi. I will just have to sell one of my grills first:rolleyes:!

Jon

Jon
I wrote what I did PRIOR to seeing what you put out there. Not sure why your post did not show before I put it there. But believe me it wasn't. I could never have and would never have meant what I put out there in any other way than concern. Nothing more. Again it's not the specie it's how it's raised. For example. As much as I enjoy Salmon I will not buy Atlantic Salmon (note this refers to the specie not the geographic location) raised in Chile. It too is raised on very unhealthy feed which contains sewage. The meat from this product is mushy and mealy and when I researched as to why I discovered this info. It's also heavily "dyed" to make it look appetizing pink. While Salmon is some of the healthiest to eat fish it's no good when loaded with toxins from dyes and sewage. Another product out there becoming all too common is called Swai. This is nothing more than catfish raised in Vietnam. It too is fed on sewage.
Another one is "Tiger Prawns" here again nothing more than shrimp raised on sewage in Bangladesh and sold here with an exotic name to trick the consumer. So here too I apologize if you took my hatred of the poisons being allowed to go for sale in out markets as personal. Again it was NOT meant as such toward you or ANY other member of this board. I just happen to take a very strong stance on these types of things. Even to the point of expressing my displeasure to the grocery stores than sell these products and contacting politicians who allow them to be sold with no concern for health and well being of their constituents.
What is being passed off to us as consumers just literally gets me angry beyond belief. I have even called out store managers right on their floors for foisting off bad product. Yes sometimes I have no shame.

I picked up a couple of tank covers today at our target! $2.98 each.

umCrZ3m2mqWGBuJKVRqebIWVdeK3UbfWHBbc_F6eLyJwEFNiJVS5yrDcgoj7x82vFoIXrbtf_jT6dpt4Yj6SVt2kt-4u9cNrJo4ZPBThPtpxbh8OQZ2mRXe91Dnj6Wc6tg8Bs7I4PL_IoRCal2nGtYVTZSGt4PJ-IQFJeoAVDyBcJ6B6zs9fvCD2wBFT_99_fTu8i0BByk-ZMgySvH3NzjMxJ11dDSdjILXQCYAfWr7bkxgOD32V6Hy9xA3rfiUMtFqBqr8uNXSSPMXCzoPPpebtzBjhmK34dlg8bG4O2rzZZnljMLJCpYFbKikfVGdceEFThpruz0LpTb6LP77sDviwOKofhvPa4cdbbDvghyk6NTNwtES5y8hwuThLA1qNPhucNKymR-Ha9qsvof01LhcGbVi8rUST5xPBKtVb4ipLfulE5GwZXAN53k31N64hRC6z0latMoiRSidgUD0jSJ9LU-i2hcm-pXhacbqmLSAEwCmoxvOzBMvm1h0XPbMJ6j7fKItYRVNBvLQyanQTFkCQ-YXbmackxlpvgIS5smGxrWXuX352MEqqwQNr3ctOHmBHDYMe9AQMceTTjz2_vZh_9JfVDhkMuCxOLeB-ymed8JYwZukmv4FAQWyjn_gKd5H9QS_xLkygDVNfLU57LG2ph0gBwY45mnuy7X7_gUC9-GV2r_fAg2sV=w448-h597-no

How does a thread about big scores become a biotch thread about fish?

I guess I was showing off my Target acquisition of cast iron trays for grilling fish and then I was urged to grill some fish and then someone said something about how unsafe Tilapia was and then I said, well, that is what I just grilled:eek: and, well, it just kind of meanders on;)!

I guess I was showing off my Target acquisition of cast iron trays for grilling fish and then I was urged to grill some fish and then someone said something about how unsafe Tilapia was and then I said, well, that is what I just grilled:eek: and, well, it just kind of meanders on;)!

Yup it kind of went that way, but since my wife eats Tilapia all the time the article I posted makes me feel comfortable buying from Costco or Kroger or the other chains it mentioned so Jon I might play it safe if you have either of those chains to buy from down there really don't want you to have to sell one of your grills so you can buy Grouper or Mahi Mahi. Not a big Tilapia eater as I mention but Costco by far has a thicker fish than others so its okay with me and if your wife enjoys it so be it.

The points made by the way on where you bought it and where it came from are valid especially in regards to China, everyone should read the article its very informative I think. ;)

Last edited:
I'm being selFISH:D because no one acknowledged the grill I got on Sunday.

$1,650 is definitely a steal and a half. I agree that we all want to see the pictures after delivery. You ought to be able to throw a bbq for the whole neighborhood with that megaton grill:cool:!

Yeah I need you to fire that thing up from December through March. And put a fan on it blowing North

You should be selfish that no one commented on it we just missed it that is the deal of the century if you are looking for that it looks like that thing was around $3299. :)

Is this the unit you bought?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Summ...MIr7yx2Z2l3QIVA5ppCh3k4wviEAQYASABEgKeO_D_BwE

So is that the one?? ? ???

If so I have some serious grill envy. And if I saw it for the price you snagged it for I probably would have whipped out my credit card. Buy now pay later for that deal.

So is that the one?? ? ???

If so I have some serious grill envy. And if I saw it for the price you snagged it for I probably would have whipped out my credit card. Buy now pay later for that deal.

Yes that's the one. I had a black one with a left side social area that I had to leave behind because of a recent move to PA.

I'll take pictures of the boxes some time tomorrow. I won't be able to assemble it until a patio is installed and that could be as late as next Spring.

Back