Kosmos does pork butt on Kettle

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
He butterflied a boneless pork butt, very interesting. I inject pork butt because its a big hunk of meat and hard to add flavor all the way through. And pork can be bland without some flavor addition. He solves that issue with the butterfly and he gets more bark.

Did you notice him removing those " glands " when he trimmed the butt ? Someone was asking about pork butt glands a while back on these forums.

I really like that idea of butterflying the butt.

The pork butt I picked up yesterday was butchered pretty badly and may butterfly it when I smoke it tomorrow. Always down to try something new and also plan on making tacos and pulled pork sandwiches.

I’ve done a couple of dozen butts, and can’t recall ever seeing a gland. Where would it be located on the butt? I usually buy the Costco 2-packs and am wondering if they remove it.

Did you notice him removing those " glands " when he trimmed the butt ? Someone was asking about pork butt glands a while back on these forums.
The first bit he removed was most likely part of the carotid artery, not a gland. The second bit was a lymph gland. They are commonly found in pork butt.

This thread goes waaaaay back to 2006 but was resurrected earlier this month: https://tvwbb.com/threads/removing-the-gland-from-pork-butt.34082/

I don't make it a habit of seeking out and removing any glands before cooking. When pulling the cooked meat, I break the butt down along natural seams, remove excess fat, connective tissue, and any weird looking bits that most likely include any cooked glands. I can't ever remember saying, "Oh, there you are, you little cooked gland!"

pork-butt-syd-injection-23.jpg

Here's another video where you can see a little more clearly the bits being trimmed off.

If you really want to go deep into it, there's this video with friend of the forum, Donna Fong. This video blew my mind.

I have a pork butt on the smoker today. Doing it Cosmo style where it's butterflied. I like the idea of having more bark and cooking it quicker. Anyone who don't like the technique?

The Kosmos video wasn't really my style, but the idea of a butterflied pork butt is interesting. Donna's work was impressive in Harry's video, but it's been too long since I took A&P - I couldn't keep up. If I did it, I'd just end up doing like Kosmos did. Aldi's been having half-price boneless pork butts lately (roughly $1/lb so not exactly cheap, but not bad). I just threw a couple on tonight and had to tie them up because they really did a number on them in the deboning process. Butterflying would have been a good option.

The pork butt came out pretty good. I didn't really save time as it took 8 hours to cook butterflied style. Had lots more bark to eat which is the best part. Would do it this way again.

Back