Korean-style/Kalbi Marinade

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I made this with some tri-tip steaks, but plan to use it on flank, skirt, and....oh, yeah, Kalbi! :)

Korean-Style/Kalbi Marinade:
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1/4 cup sake or rice wine
1/2 white onion, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves
2 tsp minced ginger
1/2 tsp black pepper

Rich this will be great on all those meats and a few more.
One thing we do as I am a type 2 diabetic, replace the sugar with honey. And add the plup of of ,pears,apples, etc to aide in tenderisation of the meat.

Rich this will be great on all those meats and a few more.
One thing we do as I am a type 2 diabetic, replace the sugar with honey. And add the plup of of ,pears,apples, etc to aide in tenderisation of the meat.
Kevin, I saw a lot of recipes that included some fruit for the tenderizing effect, but I didn't include it this time for two reasons......one, I didn't have any, and, two, I figured the tri-tip was plenty tender already. :) I think this could also benefit from the addition of some sweet or hot chili sauce. For the sweetener I think honey is a good sub, and if it's better for diabetics, then 👍🏼.

R

That looks like my kind of marinade. Made a copy of it for my marinade recipes.
Thanks for sharing it.

I made this with some tri-tip steaks, but plan to use it on flank, skirt, and....oh, yeah, Kalbi! :)

Korean-Style/Kalbi Marinade:
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1/4 cup sake or rice wine
1/2 white onion, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves
2 tsp minced ginger
1/2 tsp black pepper
Rich, if you ever want to step into a traditional recipe, check out Roy Choi's version:

Roy's a pretty amazing chef with a great life story. He's been in a bunch of streaming specials (Netflix and such).

Rich, if you ever want to step into a traditional recipe, check out Roy Choi's version:

Roy's a pretty amazing chef with a great life story. He's been in a bunch of streaming specials (Netflix and such).
Looks good, Brett. I like the one I did because it uses stuff that I am very likely to always have on hand. The one you linked has a few of the additional ingredients I saw in my search, and I'm sure would add some depth of flavor. Will have to save that one for when I feel like doing some recipe specific shopping. :)

R

Kevin, I saw a lot of recipes that included some fruit for the tenderizing effect, but I didn't include it this time for two reasons......one, I didn't have any, and, two, I figured the tri-tip was plenty tender already. :) I think this could also benefit from the addition of some sweet or hot chili sauce. For the sweetener I think honey is a good sub, and if it's better for diabetics, then 👍🏼.

R
Rich, good points, a substitute for pear or apple, is lime lime soda(diet for me) as it has the same type of acids in it. I have not used this myself as I am married to a pursuit.

Attachments

• 20200524_124522.jpg
    20200524_124522.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 4
Rich,

I have 8 Kalbi marinating as i type this that i will be cooking up tomorrow, along with a few other things i am making up as Tuesday i am going to have toe surgery and need a few easy meals till I feel like doing some walking.

Rich,

I have 8 Kalbi marinating as i type this that i will be cooking up tomorrow, along with a few other things i am making up as Tuesday i am going to have toe surgery and need a few easy meals till I feel like doing some walking.
I find grilled meats helps me recover, too.....they also help me prepare for surgery. :)

Good luck with your procedure, and enjoy your eats!

R

Just finished these and are in cool down mode. I am thinking pretty tasty some rice. And a couple kinds of radish , Napa cabbage kimichi and I have good meal .

Attachments

• 20220228_155105.jpg
    20220228_155105.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220228_155116.jpg
    20220228_155116.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 5

Back