Knives recommendations

I bought the large slicer back in 2011. It's gone up in price since then - I paid $35 and back then, couldn't believe I was paying "so much" for a single knife. :ROFLMAO: It's been good though.
You paid $35, I paid $50, and now it's $65

1614451896751.png

I’ll chime in as well. As some members have eluded to, sharpen your knives. I also suggest washing them by hand if you can avoid running them through the dishwasher. Dry them immediately and store them in a knife block or a place of your choosing. A little care goes a long way.

Grant,
Sorry to have gotten your hackles up holy crap dude, Have a Molson!
First, I simply offered it as an OPINION so live with it.
Second,I won’t deny the fast that once in a while a good knife does show up, they are rare but, yes they do.
Third,If an average home chef has the wherewithal to buy expensive cutlery, why should they be chastised for that? For that matter why are you chastising me for again... see #1
And if I want to use finely made knives, I’m not asking you to buy them for me, am I?
Again, these are opinions and just like noses they can end up out of joint.
So, sorry to have brought this one up at all, I’m out!

Last edited:
I'll take a single malt please. But yeah, I have and appreciate a finely made knife, just like a finely made anything (pan, appliance, car, rifle, shotgun, pistol, etc.). I watch for deals. I have some very nice AllClad stainless pans for instance. They would have set me back I am sure around $350 or so had I bought them new. Estate sales, FleaBay, etc I am out only about $75 for the pair and you'd be hard pressed to have been able to tell them from out of the box. I also bought some very nice high end carbon steel knives made in Solingen Germany I bought from a local dealer who was retiring. Also some very nice French made Sabatier I got the same way. I have a Cutco slicer I got from a foreclosure house I was inspecting too. There is nothing wrong with appreciating nice well made things. Otherwise we'd all be driving clapped out 1972 Chevy Biscaynes :D

@LMichaels, how would you feel about a Balvenie 21yo Peat wood? :D

I'll echo all of the comments about the sharp knives. I cannot STAND working with dull knives. I cut myself across the pads on my left index and left middle fingers, took 4 stitches each to close...... and never felt the cut. A couple of years ago, my g/f spotted a Henckels (I think....) Santoko style and it's held an amazing edge. It also never sees frozen food, bones or the dishwasher. I don't pretend to have crazy sharp knives like a professional, but most people just won't be comfortable with my knives "they're too sharp!" I apologized to a buddy of mine a few years ago who was playing sous chef for a Labor Day party about having dull knives and should really touch them up.... "I'd hate to see what you call sharp!"

My general recommendations are handles that you find comfortable, and at least decent steel. Beyond that, it's pretty much spend what you want.

We had some very old knives from the early 1980's that continue to do some duty. For big knives, I picked up two Cuisinart knives at their bankruptcy sale in the mid-80's for $5. Wish I had bought more of them, but instead got more of the professional pan pieces (stainless w/copper layer). The knives are serviceable, but have been replaced by Cutco knives in many sizes. Been picking them up off CL and estate sales. Every now and then send a bunch back for sharpening, especially the serrated ones. For $10 in postage, it works for me.

The Doublewood is pretty good, but the Portwood is probably our favorite, it's like drinking crushed velvet. Unfortunately, since we discovered it at $70/bottle, it's done nothing but skyrocket.
I remember when the doublewood was under $50 too! Port wood I’ve not tried either, your house, fiveish? I’ll bring my glencairn glass!

I remember when the doublewood was under $50 too! Port wood I’ve not tried either, your house, fiveish? I’ll bring my glencairn glass!

<chuckle> We've got a couple of those as well.... 5:00 PM today, that's too soon to be able to crank out a brisket, chicken or pork tenderloin okay?

We've been trying Irish whiskies, Bourbons, I've even found a Tequila that I can drink, just because the single malts are getting so expensive.

This is going to sound silly, but I'm a former chef and I stopped buying all those fancy German knives when I discovered the Mercer Millennia series of knives. I think the boning knife was about $10 online, and I've been buying that line exclusively since my first purchase. They hold a great edge and are a fraction of the price of Henkles or Wuhstoff.
I just order two of these. First knives I think I have ever bought. Going to replace two that I got as a wedding gift 15 years ago.

<chuckle> We've got a couple of those as well.... 5:00 PM today, that's too soon to be able to crank out a brisket, chicken or pork tenderloin okay?

We've been trying Irish whiskies, Bourbons, I've even found a Tequila that I can drink, just because the single malts are getting so expensive.
I’ve been a Bushmills fan since just out of high school back then it was “Old Bushmills”, playing some square dances with friends, back when I was young and all!
My Glencairn was a gift from a member of this forum that I’ve built a bit of a friendship with!5119B1E9-4C9E-486E-B34C-9D25953014F5.jpeg
New stove, before the backsplash went up. Glad to have that project finished and I can walk in and cook again!

Who're you trying to kid? Minnysohtans don't drink anything classier than Grain Belt.;)

Back to the OP's question. Dennis, do you know anyone who's into knifemaking? I have a couple of friends who do it (one's a novice and the other competed on "Forged in Fire") and they turn out some nice work as well as well as useful information.

Wow...

i bought Henkel pro S knives near 30 years ago. Would not trade then for anything. My daughter uses Fibrox. My knives hold an edge for a long time and are VERY comfortable in my hand which is very important to me consider how much I use them.

I'm not a native, I'm a transplant. I'm actually a Troll by birth (from just under Da Big Mac.) :)
For those of you who're wondering what he's referring to:

Back