KKruger,Blues Hog Clone

I'M NOT A(N INVENTIVE) COOK!!

Maybe substitute some molasses for the brown sugar? It will certainly "darken" up the right one for the left.

??

Len,
The colors, in person, are about dead on, but molasses sounds like a fine option.
The clone looks lighter in the jar due to the smaller amount.

I cooked this this morning, and I can see why Kevin calls it cloying. Tasty though, but I have never tried the original so I have no reference point.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Answer: The one on the left is Blues Hog. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was my guess Bob, for one of the same reasons I noted in my write up: I think my allspice (and yours by the looks of it) was more finely ground than BH, OR there is another larger flake in BH not in the clone recipe, that is presnet in small quantities.

As to the photo at the end, as you note, they look dis-similar because your clone is in an empty jar. In person at the same quantity...they are so close to spot on.

With so few ingredients, especially, subtle difference is individual items - size of the grind for any ground ingredients, differences in the ketchup or Worcestershire used - can make for disproportionate differences.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> but mine was very thick, maybe cooked too long? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Quite possibly. Happened to me on one trial. This really needs only a rather brief simmer.

Molasses: It will change the flavor. Fine if you'd like to go that route. Just FYI.

Sticking with the molasses thought, blackstrap will give it a much stronger flavour vs "fancy" which IMO has basically little to no flavour.

As I'm learning, very small increments is the route to go.

The ingredients are similar to my sauce except the All Spice, Vanilla and this one is way sweeter.

My Sugar:Ketsup is not too sweet about .5:1 while this one is about 1.5:1

I gonna try it but how would converting the pinches to 1/2 teaspoons or larger impact the remaining ingredients?

For example a 1/2 teaspoon of All Spice would equal how much Brown Sugar? From there I can convert the remaining ingredients.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
A pinch is about 1/16 teaspoon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Kevin ... a multiplier of 8 on other ingredients with 1/2 teaspoon of All Spice

btw would you consdier a drop about the same as a pinch?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
A drop is 1/20 ml. Or 1/96 of a teaspoon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just "waive" the top of the jar over your container
icon_wink.gif

Can one really taste the vanilla with such a small percentage of the overall ingredients?

For those interested, I upconverted the recipe:
T=tablespoon, t=teaspoon

2 cups light brown sugar, packed
1.5 cups ketchup
1/2 cup+2T+2t or 5/8 Cups cider vinegar
5T+1t white sugar
2t Morton kosher salt
1T+1t chili powder
heaping 2t ground black pepper, not too fine, not too coarse
2T+2t Worcestershire
16 drops drops vanilla
1/2t granulated garlic
1/2t allspice
1t cayenne

Yes, one can taste the vanilla - but it is a background flavor, not an in-your-face note.

1/20ml for a drop is the standard. I just used a drop as it naturally forms at the end of a fork tine. The flavor matched, imo, the BH. One should always add, taste, add again if necessary. One must keep in mind the likely changes that occur during heating or cooking, whether briefly or not, and compensate up front for those changes. That can make closing - or simply cooking one's own sauce - a bit more challenging but one gets used to it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Reyes:

Can one really taste the vanilla with such a small percentage of the overall ingredients?

For those interested, I upconverted the recipe:
T=tablespoon, t=teaspoon

1.5 cups ketchup
5T+1t white sugar
2t Morton kosher salt
1T+1t chili powder
2T+2t Worcestershire
16 drops drops vanilla
1/2t granulated garlic
1/2t allspice
1t cayenne </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks I was trying to do this myself with much confusion!

BTW how much will this yield?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rich P:

BTW how much will this yield? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like it will yield about 4-5 cups of sauce.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave from Denver:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rich P:

Looks like it will yield about 4-5 cups of sauce. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Closer to a Quart I believe. Mine came out a little more spicy than BH but it could be my spices.

Updated Vanilla:

1.5 cups ketchup
5T+1t white sugar
2t Morton kosher salt
1T+1t chili powder
2T+2t Worcestershire
16 drops vanilla (1/16+- teaspoon)
1/2t granulated garlic
1/2t allspice
1t cayenne

Looks like it will yield about 4-5 cups of sauce.[/QUOTE]
Closer to a Quart I believe. Mine came out a little more spicy than BH but it could be my spices.

Great thank you sir!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Reyes:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave from Denver:

Looks like it will yield about 4-5 cups of sauce. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Closer to a Quart I believe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Approximately how many cups do you think are in a Quart?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Approximately how many cups do you think are in a Quart? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Depends on the altitude
icon_razz.gif

Back