Kingsford Competition

Chris Smith

TVWBB Fan
Just wanted to give a heads-up...Home Depot will be putting Kingsford Competition briquettes on clearance within a week.

Thanks for the info Chris!
icon_smile.gif

Is this going to be a published sale item, or just something that's marked down to move quickly?

Thanks for the heads up.

I'll get some if it's a significant markdown, for grilling and short cooks. For long cooks, I'd use the regular K (if I wasn't using Stubbs) as it lasts longer.

I really like the K Comp for burgers, steaks, and other high heat quick cooks. Hoping this is a nationwide thing and not regional.

Thanks for the Heads up. If the price is right, I'll buy a few bags, and give it a shot (I think it's currently overpriced).

its actually not that bad. now i hate kingsford but in order to talk about their stuff i need to try it. first i think its overpriced. the ash is light so it can fly easily. but that stuff burns HOT ! it will really go out of control and burn like a furnace. i'm in a wheelchair and get kinda close to my kettle. but during a burn with the k comp i realized that even at the space i gave myself using ro briq i was burning my knee. i had a big scare as my knee stayed hot for hours. but i was ok luckily. so yea, that stuff will burn very very hot if given all the air it wants. yes, i still don't like the stuff.

They'd have to give it to me and deliver it.

I think the K Comp sucks. I've got about 7-8 bags of Kingsford left and I've accumulated all sorts of various lump charcoal over the last 4+ months. Frontier, Wicked Good, Royal Oak, Publix, Whole Foods, etc. I grab the lump first now.

Not a charcoal snob, but my goal was to start using lump because of the smell and flavor and I've more or less weaned myself off of it.

I've also found K Comp very useful when lined on the bottom of the grate as a 'filler'. I will stuff half a chimney full of quality lump, light it, and pour the hot coals on the bed of K Comp. I've found its a layering system as its hard to fight quality lump around here, and therefore I have to ration it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimK:
Is this going to be a published sale item, or just something that's marked down to move quickly? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

marked down

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by russell swift:
I really like the K Comp for burgers, steaks, and other high heat quick cooks. Hoping this is a nationwide thing and not regional. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

all stores...we're getting rid of it.

If it weren't for the cost and the heavy ash I would use K Comp more. But since it is going to be marked down I will load up!

Thank you Chris!

Do you know when it will go on sale? Today, during lunch, I walked into my local HD, and saw it priced at $8.97 a bag. I didn't buy anything, thinking that is not the marked down price. Hopefully, the bags will be priced lower soon
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">all stores...we're getting rid of it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They recently shrunk the bags and raised the price, I'm not surprised that you're getting rid of it. I'll be glad to take a significant amount of it off of your hands if you lower the price, thanks for the heads up.

I wonder what brand of natural charcoal will take it's place on HD's shelves. My guess (and hope) is Original Charcoal Company, I've read that they have been trying to get in with a major national distributor.

Back