Kingsford Competition Briquets press release

Hey Jim, just don't forget to share your experience (this weekend) if you don't mind, i'll be waiting and probably be on sunday or so. Don't have to inconvenience your cook to much (w/ a notebook of logs and stuff) but maybe you could compare it to your favorite brand you ussually use would work for me. enjoy. thanks.

Any confirmation of a retail store carrying the new stuff? I checked with my local HD yesterday and they had no 'clue' what I was talking about....

Originally posted by Jim Minion:
I just recieved a bag of the new coals to test, will be cooking this weekend if we don't float away, if it doesn't slow down I'm building an ark.
Remember Jim, 300 Cubits long, 50 Cubits wide and 30 Cubits high.
icon_smile.gif

The FedEx guy just dropped off my bag today! I am also working on an interview with one of the chief scientists at KF as well. Looking forward to testing it out in a side by side low and slow cook soon with some regular KF. Wish I had some Rancher to test against as well.

Thanks Chris for that awesome comparison. I use regular K at home and as a fire starter for sticks and chunks at comps. It's going to be an interesting year in 2009. IMO, lump still produces much less ash in terms of weight but I don't take the BGE out to comps. I use a stick burner and a WSM. I'm going to my local Costco this weekend to see if they have the stuff as I am cooking for a charity event in a few weeks. I'll post some results of a WSM with a Pro-Q insert (18inch WSM) with a strapped on Stoker. I might do a few burns on the BGE if I can find it.

-rob

Originally posted by russell swift:
Any confirmation of a retail store carrying the new stuff? I checked with my local HD yesterday and they had no 'clue' what I was talking about....

So what else is new?

Hi folks.

This is my first post.
After moving from an offset barrel smoker to a WSM, I have been visiting this cite for three years now.
I decided to finally sign up and post.

Home Depot just got in a whole pallet of the new 100% Natural Kingsford.
I moved away from lump about a year ago when I cooked a shoulder on Kingsford for 14 hours untouched.
I then made Baby Backs that smoked for 5 hours with Kingsford.
Hands down all the family raved about both. Much better than any previously made with Lump.

Like Chris, living in Costa Mesa (So Cal) the only lump we get is Kingsford Charwood which leaves a black film and the food tasting like soot. (My wife accused me of cooking it in the coals!)
Cowboy is nice but burns up too fast and also costs more.
We also get Big Green Egg but way too expensive.

Being all natural was important so I gave the New Natural Kingsford a try.
I could not taste any difference on the grill via chicken or beef.
The coal lit faster than lump and seemed to burn even faster.
I haven't used it in an overnight smoke and probably won't.
Why mess with a good thing. I'll probably just use the rest of it and be done with it.
My opinion, it's performance at just the grilling level wasn't quite there.

I have given up on "all natural". Performance is way more important.
(And when it comes to grilling, who cares if it was cooked on lump, when the left half of your $14 rib eye is med-well and the right half is rare)

Another reason I have given up on "all natural" is as follows....
I wanted to find out for myself if using the minion method with Kingsford would impart that beautiful aroma into the food.
Here's what I did.
Minion Method Taste Test: Kingsford Vs Big Green Egg Lump.
I recently cooked two chicken breasts in separate cookers using the minion method.
I picked chicken for it's ability to absorb flavor.
I used Kingsford in one, and Green Egg Lump in the other. No wood, no oil, no rub, just coal and breast.
I cooked the breasts for 2.5 hours at about 220. I wanted to rely expose the meat for some time.
With a taste test, the Kingsford did taste different but not better nor worse.
Both had a slight coal taste and very similar. No other chemical off taste could be could be detected by either. (And this, from someone who won the Pepsi challenge
icon_wink.gif
)
With the Kingsford, you could taste the slight coal taste right away.
With the lump, the taste was almost the same, however, the coal taste snuck up on you slowly as you chewed.
Try the test for yourself.

Last, I saw an episode of the travel channel. They where showing the Rendezvous (http://www.hogsfly.com/) using charcoal briquettes to cook there ribs.
Having spent quite some time in Memphis, these are world famous, and if briquettes are good enough for them they'll work for me!

Originally posted by mike tu:
Hope you enjoy the clean up of all the ash with the briquets
I never understand why this is such a big deal to some people. You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but it takes so little time to brush ashes out of the WSM bowl into a trash bag.

Chris

You should keep your Webers clean regardless of lump or briquets... I've used lump, and you know what? When the cook was done, there were ashes in the bottom of the WSM... no, really, there were...
icon_eek.gif

was scheduled to do a canadian bacon smoke tonight, so I dropped by home depot to see if they had a bag. They did, so I grabbed one. Figured that it would be easier to control the low temp smoke that was needed rather than using lump. so lit 6 in the starter and made a very artistic placement for the unlit briqs.

first thing i noticed is how much lighter the briqs are vs the regular ones. seem almost half as lite. they lit much faster, and a very important claim, there was no regular K smell. actually little if any smell.

dumped the lit briqs on the unlit and then watched to bring the temp up to 170. well, overshot, hitting 210 after closing all vents, including the top one, for almost 6 minutes. so i would make the claim that they also burn hotter than the regular K.

so at this point, I feel the claims they are making about the new K are pretty good. it does what they claim. but for me, the cost is just not their, considering I can get a 40 pound bag of lazzari's oak hardwood lump at the factory for only $10. but it was worth the experiment. I'll keep a bag or two around for times when it is needed (but for what I can't say).

went to my hd today. no new stuff. but might be awhile as they had six pallets of the blue bag stuff. ash doesn't bother me to much except when it chokes itself. i still have a few bags of rancher so i'll see how the new k goes against it if and when we get it. will have to compare on the kettle though unless someone wants to "loan" me their wsm.
icon_smile.gif
chris, want a bag of rancher to compare? or is it mute as rancher doesn't seem to be available anymore.

I don't think the quick burning time in the chimney will be the same in the wsm. Here's why: If you let a chimney full of lump burn down I suspect it would burn rather fast. I know this from getting distracted while setting up the smoker and coming back to a once half full chimney that is now almost all ash. But lump is the only thing I use in my wsm because it burns slow and it easily controlled in my wsm. I only use briquettes in my OTG so I will probably buy one bag of the new stuff and go back to using whatever is cheapest and save my $$$ for the high quality lump I use.

Either way it's nice to have a new product to try and then complain about.

Ya know I have to agree with Chris A on this. It is simple enough to dump the ashes whether you have a lot or a litte. Even with a 14hr cook the amount of ash with standard K doesn't cause issues during the cook.

I think what this string does show is that people are passionate about their WSM's, their preferred heat source (lump and natural), and their BBQ. That's a great thing and what keeps this site interesting.

With all that said I look forward to trying the "new stuff". I think I will use it more in my OTG for high heat direct cooking though.

Originally posted by Rick Hamilton:
I think what this string does show is that people are passionate about their WSM's, their preferred heat source (lump and natural), and their BBQ. That's a great thing and what keeps this site interesting.

You know, I agree with all of this and I wish more people would realize it.

I get irked when people jump to conclusions and automatically dismiss a new product like this because of past experiences. If your preferred fuel is working for you, that's fantastic! In that case, there's no need to trash a product that no one has tried yet... right?

I'm a member on another non-BBQ board that has a strict rule - if you have no experience with a product, don't make any statements about it.

Sorry for the soapbox rant.

Back