Kingsford Competition Briquets press release

I've only seen it at Home Depot in my area. Wonder if Walmart will start getting it soon. I'd like to see it be successful since it does seem to be better than the regular K.

Did two more smokes this past weekend using Comp K. On the first one I was doing a pork butt and was trying to keep the temps between 225-250 using the MM. For about the first half I was able to do this by keeping the bottom vents open only a sliver. But, about halfway in, the temps started to go over 250. I closed the bottom vents and they hovered about 260-265 for the next three hours. Near the end of the cook, they finally started to come down and hover around the 230's.

The next day I smoked some chicken. This time I opened the vents 100% until it got to 175, then I closed them to 25%. At 215, I closed them to barely a sliver open. The temp slowly rose to about 225-230. A couple of hours in it started to rise again. I quickly closed all the bottom vents and was able to keep the temp in the 230's.

So, it seems that Comp K definitely burns hotter than regular K and is harder to keep the temp down. I've never used lump while smoking, so I'm not sure if those users have the same issues. I've learned one of the keys is to quickly dial the vents down if you seen any temperature going up. Because once it gets up there it doesn't want to come down anytime soon.

All in all, I still like using Comp K. I never noticed the smell of the regular K until I used some to cook some burgers this weekend. I guess I had gotten away from it a bit and when I fired it back up, it was now noticeable. So, I think I'll stick with Comp K and lump for all my smoking and grilling needs.

I picked up some Comp K this weekend at Home Depot and used it for a quicken chicken smoke. I don't think it's worth the price. They lit quickly and smelled fine. Worked fine. The briquettes didn't hold up well after snuffing out the fire, they just crumbled up. I prefer lump in that regard since you can reuse the leftovers very easily. No binders to break down.

I do like the convenient size of briquettes, but I feel that lump is still superior and worth the little time it takes to pack the charcoal.

I saw a spot at Lowe's for Stubb's briquettes, but they didn't have any stock. I assume they will be similar to the Comp K and Rancher, although I never used Rancher.

I picked some up last weekend (HD - 2 12lb bags) and only used it to grill RS Chicken on Sunday. Lit faster than normal K and nowhere near the same type of smell while lighting. I'll be doing an overnighter (2 Butts and Beans) this weekend - I'll let you guys know how it did.

The HD by me in Oswego must be way behind.

They only had one bag of CB, and a couple bags of match light.
icon_confused.gif

Tim

Costco, In Morrow, GA (Atlanta suburb) had the Comp K Briqs in a 2 pack (2-16.5 lb bags), which they say is the same as 2-21 lb bags..price was $16.79

I found some at the Burlington NC H D last week end! I used it for the first time this Saturday. The idea was to test it equally against R/O lump. I used two WSM’s with Guru Pit minders and digital thermometers. So how do you create a fair cook with two different fuels? I filled the fire ring in each to the level top which took about ¾ the bag of Kingsford Comp and less than ½ the bag of R/O lump. Both were started with a single ash shovel of lit coals from a Weber kettle fueled with R/O lump. Water pans dry with foil, and the ambient temps here last night were 30’s. I cooked chicken in both at 300* doing many cooks back to back for six hours. The temps in the Kingsford fueled WSM were rock solid , the R/O fueled WSM did vary some . Kingsford produced more smoke until it burnt off a bit , identical smoke woods were used in both. No discernable differences taste wise were found between samples from the two WSM’s. The Kingsford did burn some faster than the R/O , cost more than R/O , ash production was similar to lump. It’s a good fuel , I may think about using it at a competition because of the rock solid temps , but it is pricey for home cooking.

Rick

I picked some up at costco to do a brisket. I have yet to make it to lazzaris HQ to pick up their oak lump, as I'm all out, at the greatest price anywhere for a 40 pound bag.

It lit quick and had no smell as mentioned by several. but it burns much hotter the reg K, pretty much what I can get from lump. I'll keep some around for emergencies like this (out of lump) as it worked fine

I just picked some up and smoked some spares this past weekend. It was the second charcoal I used since I flew threw my lump. It did burn quite long and hot though. I'd say a little longer than the original stuff. I also bought it at a Giant Foods in Maryland.

I saw some Kingsford Competition briquets @ the Costco in north Austin today. I picked up a 2 pack of original Kingsford there 2 or 3 weeks ago when they first came out so I'll have to run through those bags before I give the Competition variety a try.

I've noticed that the packaging for the standard Kingsford briquettes I just purchased includes advertising for Match Light and Mesquite briquettes, but no Competition...

Did my first Competition K smoke today. After failing at BJ's and WalMart, they had reg. bags (no jumbo packs) at Home Depot. Having only smoked w/ regular K up until now, I never understood all the chat about the smell. Now I get it . . . tne new is much cleaner smelling. I agree w/ the other posts . . . the comp K burned a little hotter and was very consistent. I'll cut off the vents a little quikcer next time on the start, as I shot to 270 pretty fast. Food was still great.

Just finished off a couple of racks of Baby Backs - 3/1.5/1 - can't wait to use again.

I picked up the 2-16 pound pack of Kingsford Competition on Saturday at my Cosco for $16 and change. I felt this was a good price and I will continue to purchase this at least until Rancher hits my local OSH.

It's at my local Costco. $16.95 + sales tax. Was tempted to pick up the 2-16.5 (or is it 16?) lb. package, but decided to hold off. At least where I am, the charcoal options are pretty limited, so this MAY become my default choice.

They had PALLETS of it just stacked up...but oddly enough, nowhere near the section with outdoor/grilling stuff.

*shrug*

Back