Kingsford Competition Briquets press release

It's common at my Super WalMart to see K stacked up in the meat dept. I read somewhere that Kingsford recommends it as a good cross-selling opportunity: Buying meat? Why not buy some charcoal to cook it with!

Chris

Originally posted by JMGarciaJr:
They had PALLETS of it just stacked up...but oddly enough, nowhere near the section with outdoor/grilling stuff.
At most the Costcos I've visited around where I live, the K is way at the back of the store, in the very last aisle.

Chris

I picked up a couple of bags at Costco last week. I did my first smoke last night. I used my Weber WSM; I used competition briquets and oak chunks. I dont do this competetively, so I cant say that I really saw a difference. The biggest difference was the lack of the Kingsford smell, which I actually kind of like. Anyway, I wound up finishing the ribs in the oven. I just couldnt get the smoker hot enough (over 255 degrees) to really get them done. I suspect that it was not the fault of the briquests, but some sort of operator error. I will probably try grilling over them this week.

I'm using the Kingsford Competition today, the first time I've tried it on the smoker. I's burning much hotter than regular Kingsford. I'm cooking an 8 lb butt and can't get my temp below 250 or so. I'm not sure if that's going to mar the results, we'll see. Next time I'll use cold water in the pan rather than warm. My main concern is that with the higher temp I won't get a long enough cook time.

Originally posted by Randy J.:
I'm using the Kingsford Competition today, the first time I've tried it on the smoker. I's burning much hotter than regular Kingsford. I'm cooking an 8 lb butt and can't get my temp below 250 or so. I'm not sure if that's going to mar the results, we'll see. Next time I'll use cold water in the pan rather than warm. My main concern is that with the higher temp I won't get a long enough cook time.

Yes Randy, I use compbricks only for high heat or adding unlit to existing because they seem to start faster than bluebag bricks.
Enjoy the butt.

It's been a few years since I've posted here but I thought I'd share my first experience with K Comp. I'm currently smoking 48 lbs of butts on my 18.5 WSM (6 butts). I did this for the first time last November with great success using the standard K briquettes. This time when I picked up my butts at Costco all they had was the K Comp briquettes so I grabbed a 2-bag pack. I hadn't even heard of these before. I was a bit leary since the bag claims they burn hotter. More heat means more fuel burned or less cook time. What I didn't expect was to use 2 to 3 times as much fuel. Using std K cooking 6 butts I can get 10 hours burn time before needing to recharge and that was in sub 30 deg weather. Tonight I had to recharge after only 5 hours using the K Comp. It's 2 am and I'm not going to get any sleep. It was 95 today and in the mid 60s tonight and I have the WSM wide open with the WSM maxing out at 225. Now thats okay since I cook all my butts low and slow for 20 hours regardless but I've never run the WSM wide open with std K. Usually the vents are 1/3 or less once up to temp. The other downside is the smoke wood burned up faster with the K Comp. I usually have some wood left at the 1/2 way point but it was all gone when I recharged at the 1/4 way. K Comp might be okay for 1 or 2 butts but not for a maximum load.

Jay

i use the comp for grilling, as i like the smokey flavor it imparts and it burns quicker and hotter (for me) than regular k; i haven't noticed it burning that much quicker though and certainly that low temp seems odd.

Cooking update: I'm now at 14 hrs cooking time. I managed to get 3 hours sleep. I was woken up by my smoker alarm when the temp hit 245. At the first recharge of the WSM the Brinkman pan was half full so I didn't add any water. By 5am the pan was almost empty except for drippings. It seems the K Comp is sensitive to how much water is in the pan. After refilling the water pan and recharging the charcoal for the second time it took nearly an hour to get the temp back to 225. The second charge of charcoal went 8 hours so obviously the large amount of cold meat at the begining of the cook used a lot more fuel than I'm used to with the std K. I'm also noticing the K Comp is much more sensitive to very tiny adjustments to the vents but once set holds very well for several hours. The good news is the reduced ash of the K Comp hasn't forced me to empty the fire bowl. I may get through the entire cook without having to do that which is a big plus. The meat has been stalled at 165 for 5 hours now so everything is on track for a 3pm finish. Mmmmmmm smells great on the deck this morning.

I don't have anything technical to add in terms of temperatures or anything like that, but I suppose there's nothing wrong with a good old fashioned unfounded opinion!
icon_smile.gif

....I don't like these briquettes and will not buy them again. I can't say for sure why, but they just don't add any value to me.

It's partially not their fault in that I used them in lieu of the lump I would usually use for Trip Tip and Pit Beef, and I just didn't like how it cooked. That could have happened with regular K too I suppose. But if that's true, why would I want to pay extra for these?

Anyhow, not a fan. If I want higher heat, I'll use lump.

Thanks!

Back