Kingsford charcoal as a flavor

JohnTak

TVWBB Pro
Two years ago I stopped using Kingsford charcoal and started trying many different lumps and other brands. Now my favorites are JD and B&B but the wife noticed a difference. She says my bbq tastes different, so I now have to try using Kingsford kind of like wood chunks to add back that flavor. My experimenting will begin soon.;)

Two years ago I stopped using Kingsford charcoal and started trying many different lumps and other brands. Now my favorites are JD and B&B but the wife noticed a difference. She says my bbq tastes different, so I now have to try using Kingsford kind of like wood chunks to add back that flavor. My experimenting will begin soon.;)
I think it depends what you’re cooking and how, as in LAS or HAF or searing and smoking.

I’ll still use briq, and about any kind for LAS smoke sessions with the diffuser plate. All searing is JDXL

Any direct seared fish is JDXL only. And any other beef, pork or chicken that gets direct heat goes JDXL direct and then indirect to get to temp.

What are you cooking?

I think it depends what you’re cooking and how, as in LAS or HAF or searing and smoking.

I’ll still use briq, and about any kind for LAS smoke sessions with the diffuser plate. All searing is JDXL

Any direct seared fish is JDXL only. And any other beef, pork or chicken that gets direct heat goes JDXL direct and then indirect to get to temp.

What are you cooking?
I cook a variety of things but her memory is how things tasted before. She doesn't really know I made changes to the charcoal. Kingsford has been around so long that's what people think bbq tastes like. I don't really don't miss the eye burning startup with Kingsford but understand there is a flavor difference. She asked me if I used the pellet smoker or charcoal so she knows the flavor is less sharp than before. I'm just looking for a balance in flavor so I will experiment but not giving up my JD. :)

Many briquette type charcoals (Kingsford included) all smell like petrochemicals to me. Even after they're burned down I still get the aroma of dinosaur fuel. When I do charcoal it's lump only.

Many briquette type charcoals (Kingsford included) all smell like petrochemicals to me. Even after they're burned down I still get the aroma of dinosaur fuel. When I do charcoal it's lump only.
I concur. Any pressed, molded, or extruded charcoal has rather distinct odors that I don't find pleasurable. I haven't noted transfer to food..... but I've also only gone through a single bag (B+B char logs) in the last 15 years. I'll use practically any natural lump charcoal before briquettes.

I feel the same way. I’m just trying to keep the wife in her happy spot. She remembers recipes by flavor. If she perceives a change in flavor something is wrong.

When I first got into live fire cooking I used Kingsford blue bag. I bought a variety of rubs and made some of my own, I had a hard time differentiating between the rubs. I felt like the charcoal from the kingsford briquettes were masking the flavor of my rubs. I switched to lump and could immediately taste the differences and never went back.

There's just something very nostalgic about Kingsford and the smell it puts off compared to other charcoal with "all natural" binders. I've been using B&B lately. It works well low and slow or hot and fast for me. Jealous Devil has a unique smell probably due to the quebracho wood. I don't find it all that pleasant but I don't find it transfers to the food. I tried Franklin charcoal recently on some steaks. I really enjoyed it because somehow you can smell the post oak a little.

For what it’s worth, smoking with lump was different, but grilling with lump the difference was even more pronounced. The first few meals I grilled on the Performer after switching to lump, grilled chicken for example - wow! It was something I’d never had before.

My Kingsford experiment may be a failure, I used 50% B&B briquettes and 50% Kingsford with no noticeable change in taste and no acrid smoke during start up. I will try a higher percentage of Kingsford next time.

Back