• 3/4 cup water, divided
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Directions​

1. In a large saucepan or nonstick skillet, brown sausage over medium heat. Add the potatoes, cabbage, onion, broth, 1/2 cup water, sugar, caraway seeds and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
  2. Add beans and cider vinegar; cover and simmer 5-10 minutes longer. Combine flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.

Nutrition Facts​

1-3/4 cups: 322 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 1143mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 7g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.

Edit: I've made this three times ( quite good ) subbed beef smoked sausage and added a cup of pasta (egg noodles) Kluski or spaetzle would be nice but a gut buster.

Last edited:

Ingredients​

• 1/2 pound smoked turkey kielbasa or Polish sausage, sliced
  • 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 2 cups shredded cabbage
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 3/4 cup water, divided
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions​

1. In a large saucepan or nonstick skillet, brown sausage over medium heat. Add the potatoes, cabbage, onion, broth, 1/2 cup water, sugar, caraway seeds and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
  2. Add beans and cider vinegar; cover and simmer 5-10 minutes longer. Combine flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.

Nutrition Facts​

1-3/4 cups: 322 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 1143mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 7g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.

Edit: I've made this three times ( quite good ) subbed beef smoked sausage and added a cup of pasta (egg noodles) Kluski or spaetzle would be nice but a gut buster.
My wife made this stew this morning and we all enjoyed it this evening.

The recipe is good enough to earn “print a hard copy” status, meaning it’s going into our weekly menu rotation.

Thanks @timothy

Isn’t that an understatement! I don’t make any cabbage things nearly enough!
We usually have it on New Year's, and every year we say we should have this more often..
I really need to keep a list of things like that. It's not like it's hard to make or anything.

Last edited:
we make this often- really easy (especially if you have a mandoline) and good:

Sautéed Cabbage​

Ingredients

1 small head green cabbage about 2 1/2 pounds​
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar plus additional to taste
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme optional

Instructions​

• Cut the cabbage in half from its top down through its core. Place the cut-side down on your cutting board, then slice it as thinly as possible around the core so that you have fine ribbons. Discard the core.
  • Heat a large saute pan or similar heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and butter. Once the butter is melted, add the cabbage, salt, and pepper. Saute for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender and begins to brown. Don't feel like you need to constantly stir it. Leaving cabbage undisturbed for a minute or two as you go is what will allow it to develop brown caramelized bits (aka FLAVOR).
  • Remove from the heat and stir in the apple cider vinegar. Taste and add a bit of additional salt and pepper if you like, or a splash more vinegar if you'd like to add more zippy and acidic flavors. Sprinkle with thyme. Serve warm.

Cabbage, bacon, onions, yum.
I also do a deconstructed cabbage roll casserole which is pretty good.

Ingredients​

• 1/2 pound smoked turkey kielbasa or Polish sausage, sliced
  • 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 2 cups shredded cabbage
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 3/4 cup water, divided
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions​

Nutrition Facts​

Sounds great Timothy!
As much as we love cabbage, I'm surprised that I've never seen that recipe. Thanks for posting it.

We had beans and rice for dinner tonight, and anytime my wife cooks dried beans there are leftovers.

We had a head of cabbage in the refrigerator that was calling out to be used, so…

Kielbasa cabbage stew made for dinner tomorrow.

We really like this recipe.

My wife calls this bigos, or Polish hunter's stew. The story is that the hunters would through in whatever they had. My son, 4, once made the mistake of calling the peanuts/raisins/chocolate chips that I eat every day hunters stew. Now we all call it that.

We’ve made cabbage stew for years. The wife doesn’t like corned beef so we do this for St Pat’s. I was doing a search for ideas and was pleased to see TVWBB pop up as a solution.

Back