Keurig Coffee Maker For Christmas

We've got one. I generally just drink a cup or two a day. There's no chance I'm drinking a pot. I feel somewhat bad that the pods are so wasteful, but it makes a decent cup as far as I'm concerned. I drink my coffee black.

Many thanks for the input all!

Very interesting indeed.

Has anyone had any problems with lid (foil) separation? We've had two Copper Moon pods to rupture at the top (a small area around the seal) and spew coffee everywhere. I emptied the entire box and examined each pod today, and each lid looked intact. Common sense would say the outlet needle was either clogged, or it had not penetrated the bottom of the pod correctly.

I like to run 6oz of hot water into my cup before inserting a pod (a good way to preheat the cup), and I check the water for particles before tossing it. Not sure what to make of this unless the pod seal was weak to begin with.

Last edited:
Has anyone had any problems with lid (foil) separation? We've had two Copper Moon pods to rupture at the top (a small area around the seal) and spew coffee everywhere. I emptied the entire box and examined each pod today, and each lid looked intact. Common sense would say the outlet needle was either clogged, or it had not penetrated the bottom of the pod correctly.

I like to run 6oz of hot water into my cup before inserting a pod (a good way to preheat the cup), and I check the water for particles before tossing it. Not sure what to make of this unless the pod seal was weak to begin with.

Upon further review, the shape (bottom of the pod) of the Copper Moon pods are slightly smaller in diameter, and they tend to deflect a bit when pressed against the needle. I have seen times when the Keurig shut off due to water not being able to flow (through the pod) into the cup properly.

A straightened out paper clip helps to enlarge the drain hole on the pod.

Rusty you have to read the label on some of these brands has only happened to us once, we bought these pods from Westrock Coffee Company. In fine print which we did not notice it said for Keurig K cup compatible brewers not for Keurig 2.0 which we have or Keurig vue. Same problems you had fooled around with 4 or 5 of them ended up tossing the rest.

We have had ours for a long time actually this might be the second one really can't remember it was for peace keeping in the home between myself and my wife. We have entirely different tastes in coffee as I like strong coffee like french roast and she does not. I also never cared for coffee sitting in a pot for awhile ending up wasting it so the Keurig solved our problems. We have a refillable k cup but really don't use it for some reason to me anyway it just does not taste the same and again since we have completely different tastes in coffee would mean we would need to have a couple of bags around.

I buy my French Roast at Costco in goes on sale from time to time think I paid $29.95 the last time I bought it there. Its a little more environmentally friendly and we have a large Mason Jar that we keep it in. If you like strong coffee I hit the 10 oz setting and I don't need to hit the strong coffee button but that is preference.

https://www.costco.com/san-francisc...oast-onecup,-100-count.product.100381432.html

Rusty you have to read the label on some of these brands has only happened to us once, we bought these pods from Westrock Coffee Company. In fine print which we did not notice it said for Keurig K cup compatible brewers not for Keurig 2.0 which we have or Keurig vue. Same problems you had fooled around with 4 or 5 of them ended up tossing the rest.

We have had ours for a long time actually this might be the second one really can't remember it was for peace keeping in the home between myself and my wife. We have entirely different tastes in coffee as I like strong coffee like french roast and she does not. I also never cared for coffee sitting in a pot for awhile ending up wasting it so the Keurig solved our problems. We have a refillable k cup but really don't use it for some reason to me anyway it just does not taste the same and again since we have completely different tastes in coffee would mean we would need to have a couple of bags around.

I buy my French Roast at Costco in goes on sale from time to time think I paid $29.95 the last time I bought it there. Its a little more environmentally friendly and we have a large Mason Jar that we keep it in. If you like strong coffee I hit the 10 oz setting and I don't need to hit the strong coffee button but that is preference.

https://www.costco.com/san-francisc...oast-onecup,-100-count.product.100381432.html

I forgot about the Kuerig 2.0 model, although I haven't seen it in the stores yet. Does the 2.0 model omit the needle on the bottom of the pod holder?

Say you like the SFB brand? I saw that on sale today, but I passed on it for fear I may not like it.

I'm not a strong coffee drinker per say, although I have drank some dark brew pods at times. In the past, I had to limit my coffee consumption to about 6oz, two to three times per week (stomach issues), but ever since we got the Kuerig, I have been tolerating more coffee. I'm assuming the coffee passes through the grounds too fast to collect any stomach irritants?

Keurig introduced the 2.0 version in a [misguided] attempt at DRM for the pods, seeing as how many 3rd party manufacturers started making compatible cups where Keurig/GMR wasn't getting any licensing. It's been out for several years.

Rusty yes I think they all have the needle on the bottom. Pretty sure we have the Keurig K250 PLUS 2.0 and like J said that has been out for awhile but my wife bought it so don't know how old it is.

I think everyone of most everyone got in line with Keurig since again I have had only one problem with the pods over the years. I have even used Kroger's private selection with no issue's. Enjoy it have not made a pot of coffee in many many years, don't even know where it is in the house to be honest.

The SFB according to my wife goes on sale every other month so after this month it won't be back on sale till March. Even the normal price is pretty good.

Copper Moon told me today that some of their pod filters were defective (too thick), and it was the reason some of their pods ruptured. They offered to send me a new box of 80 pods for free.

Seriously, I think we have spent about 100.00 on coffee (and tea) since December the 25th. :eek:

Well at least they are sending you a new box would have been aggravating if they were all bad in the first box. Its easy to spend a lot when your first getting started and buying in bulk especially like our home where we are drinking different blends of coffee but then you kind of settle in.

My last 1 wouldn't brew the green mountain pods without rupturing, bottom needle holder broke so the new 1 brews fine with any so far,not sure what the issue was with the other

All it takes to make good coffee

Well, that and 15 minutes...time to heat water is long part.
In rest of world with 220V kettles....half the time to heat

Walmart thermometer -$10
Walmart ss kettle -$15
Plastic hario v60 - $8
V60 filters - $7
Scale that doesnt turn off during pour...$25
Decent grinder.....$100-350
Fresh beans....$6-15

Only expensive part....the decent grinder. My kinu in picture is about $330. Yeah...ouch. but your great great grandkids will still be using it. Solid heavy precision machined stainless.

sfLcMASG_o.jpg

Last edited:
I use that one for spices, don't think I could get a consistent grind from it for coffee. I am happy with OXO's $100 burr grinder. Also a $30th Javaprese manual one for travel.

Back