Kettles and Mavericks

John Tate

TVWBB Member
As my journey to the dark side continues ...........................

Just had a Maverick ET 733 delivered (keep this a secret - the wife does not know about it yet) and have now got to decide how to feed the probes into my 22.5 kettle, I thought I might just drill a quarter inch hole just above the grate and see how it works (could be extended to a notch later). Any other suggestions or options from people who have traveled down this route before me?

I don't use my OTG for a dedicated smoker, but for doing indirect on a pork loin or beef tenderloin I'll just let the probe wire snake under the lid.
If the need arises than the notch method would prolly be the most user friendly for you IMO.:)

Tim

I did the grommet on my mini and then did a notch and found it much easier to use and also notched my performer.

This is just a thought, as I don't have a Maverick, but I have one of those utensil hangers that hang off the kettle. I noticed that the lid doesn't sit perfectly flat over the kettle and is raised a wee bit from the clips(doesn't seem to cause any issues with temp control). If a person was to just have the wires go between the clips that would have enough pressure off the wires?

notch it,you will appreciate it later on,so easy to do and extremely convenient

This is just a thought, as I don't have a Maverick, but I have one of those utensil hangers that hang off the kettle. I noticed that the lid doesn't sit perfectly flat over the kettle and is raised a wee bit from the clips(doesn't seem to cause any issues with temp control). If a person was to just have the wires go between the clips that would have enough pressure off the wires?

Yea, that's what I do Colin, between the tool holder and My Slide-Aside there is enough of a gap.

Tim

I notched my 22.5" kettle as well as my WSM...I have NO regrets about it! Easy to lay the wires in the notch and not worry about crushing or fracturing the wires from my Maverick with the lid.

Thanks for the replies, looks like the notch is the way to go, I will now have to sneek the purchase of a grinder past the wife!

All you need to do is add Nomex to the underside of your lid. Makes for a better air seal, soft touch and works perfectly with Maverick probes.

Last edited:
All you need to do is add Nomex to the underside of your lid. Makes for a better air seal, soft touch and works perfectly with Maverick probes.
This is a great idea ^^^
You could even leave a small gap in the gasket for the Maverick leads....a "Mav Gap".
Might have to place a tiny dot on the lid for a marker.

Last edited:
This is a great idea ^^^
You could even leave a small gap in the gasket for the Maverick leads....a "Mav Gap".
Might have to place a tiny dot on the lid for a marker.

IMG_00066_zps624c4595.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0358_zpsf350dffe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

You can see the gasket in place in this photo. There is virtually no air leak. Notching the gasket is a good idea, just do it at the seam.

Last edited:

Back