Kettle Lid Thermometer

John Sully

TVWBB Fan
On Saturday my wife came home with 5 lb. bone in rib roast and asked "how about you cook this for dinner". I set up my 22" kettle with the slow and sear using the water pan that comes with it. I set up my Smoke thermometer to monitor air and internal temps. There was a big difference between the lid thermometer and the Smoke. My thought was the lid thermometer was situated over the slow and sear making the temps read much higher than grate temp.

Thoughts on this ??

20231104_180459.jpg20231104_180516.jpg

John, you are correct. I'm sure that is exactly what is going on. But the lid temp will never match the grate temp. You are doing exactly what you need to do with the Smoke thermometer.

I’m such a caveman, I’d probably not use anything more than baskets indirect and time it out in my head. Subtract fifteen minutes for lack of math skills and not give a hoot about the differences in thermometers placed at various points.
You are probably right about all this !! My wife says I'm "special" but I cant leave work unless my pen and pencil are faced in opposite directions o_O

I agree that a lid guage is going to read higher than a probe at grate level. That being said, I usually use the lid guage for everything except briskets and butts. Even with ribs, I can usually figure out what going on, then you've got the spritzing . . . .

And remember, none of them is, as Mona Lisa Vito said, "Dead on B@lls Accurate." (It's an industry term . . . )

BD

I agree that a lid guage is going to read higher than a probe at grate level. That being said, I usually use the lid guage for everything except briskets and butts. Even with ribs, I can usually figure out what going on, then you've got the spritzing . . . .

And remember, none of them is, as Mona Lisa Vito said, "Dead on B@lls Accurate." (It's an industry term . . . )

BD
In the Midwest, Ive always heard “Dead Nuts” but, when something IS finally level, I’m either dead or nuts!
and, it’s gauge (just from the son of English teachers).

I put my lid guage on myself and it's situated in the middle. Still not accurate but better than over the slow and sear, and you want your exhaust over the food. I cut a notch and use my Smoke probe if I need to be super accurate. Many times I'm not that worried about temps.

On my Old Performer, the lid temp is 70 higher than the grate temp. I check it against a good thermometer every once in a while it's been that way for years...

My ”Overperformer“ predates dome thermometer, the 18” in it was a $10 yard sale find, my WSM is also pre thermometer from factory. Consequently, I never used any thermometer until I started using the WSM. Thats only been since 2015? So, are they critical? Not for me. I find the grate temp much more useful. Yes, caveman!

I think my stock temp gauge on my Weber is only there just to look good and sell the product to the masses or to appease the unqualified product reviewers.
Not only does it not give an accurate temperature reading (compared to my probe at the same elevation) the darn thing is even located in the wrong spot.
I really think they chose their temp gauge location because it looked visually appealing and balanced as opposed to being next to the vent where it would do a better job.
I remember once looking at an S&S grill and thinking that looks like a better design.

I personally think a temp probe with and adjustable or rather a pivot arm to either dodge the meat or change the temp elevation reading location would be the ticket.
Said in my best John Lovitz voice “Yeah, That’s the Ticket (y)“.

Yes, you’re accurate with your thought. Most folks here disregard the lid thermo on the kettle, myself included. Continue to monitor air and internals using the Smoke and your cooks will turn out just fine.

Back