Kettle Fried Chicken

Rich Dahl

R.I.P. 7/21/2024
Yesterday it was 85 here in the mountains of AZ. Time to fire up the performer.
Decided to do a new version of kettle fried chicken.
Coated four chicken thighs with Dijon mustard then using about ½ cup LA chicken fry batter mix I added one TBS. of Weber’s salt free chicken seasoning to the mix and coated the thighs with the dry seasoning.
Fired up the vortex in the performer and let the chicken go for 45 minutes. Added a couple of red potatoes for smashed taters.
Barb made up some broccoli with a hollandaise sauce.
The chicken was excellent this will be our new kettle fried chicken recipe. Very moist and an excellent crunchy texture.

46848953374_4413351e44_z.jpg
[/url]100_4581 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

32630355807_20820751c1_z.jpg
[/url]100_4582 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

46848952644_83a133801f_z.jpg
[/url]100_4583 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Yum! Smoker fried chicken is my favorite!

Great Looking Cook!

Give this a try next time. Soak the chicken in pickle juice (4 hour min.), then follow your recipe. It gives a nice twang to the chicken.

That is a great looking plate of food. I'm going to borrow your recipe Rich.

That plated picture says it all. Nice cook!

Top notch bird and sides!
I'm doing some wings soon using my new Vortex, hope to post some pics and my thoughts about using the real deal.

Top notch bird and sides!
I'm doing some wings soon using my new Vortex, hope to post some pics and my thoughts about using the real deal.

Bob I have a dog bowl for my jumbo Joe and it works about the same as the real deal although the medium real deal gets the performer a little bit hotter which makes for a little more crisper skin.

Last edited:
Rich, your chicken looks great! I don't have a vortex, but usually put the coals in the center and the chicken around the outside edge in a ring.
Should be close?

Rich, your chicken looks great! I don't have a vortex, but usually put the coals in the center and the chicken around the outside edge in a ring.
Should be close?

That's what I used to do also and it did work okay, but the vortex takes it to another level.

Back