Kettle fried chicken

That looks great Brad! I actually have some of that seasoning in our pantry, but have yet to try it. What I have used before is a seasoning called Kentucky Kernel.

The thing about this site is that an 8 year old thread is still apparently a fairly “vital” one! I snagged a bunch of the LCF stuff when one store was closing it out. Have yet to do this! Getting ready for an escape to the cottage and don't want to take one more thing in the “Chuck Box”! It probably weight in about 45 pounds already and, is stuff which may or may not be used up there. Maybe the weekend we get back!

The thing about this site is that an 8 year old thread is still apparently a fairly “vital” one! I snagged a bunch of the LCF stuff when one store was closing it out. Have yet to do this! Getting ready for an escape to the cottage and don't want to take one more thing in the “Chuck Box”! It probably weight in about 45 pounds already and, is stuff which may or may not be used up there. Maybe the weekend we get back!

You got a Chuck Box ? Original? If so I'm jealous. My bud from work has one, made in Chicago IIRC and it's stamped with the name.

Tim

Tim, you give me a great honor which I do not deserve, I WISH, it were a real one but, that sounds better than “grub box” in learned company, as we have here. I take things from here which are more difficult to find north of the 45 parallel for whatever silly reason. Most likely, population density but, there is not a great choice in grocery stores without traveling for an hour or more.
Excellent butcher shop about twenty minutes from the cottage though! I will get my “Manly” 2.5” ribeye there unless, I get a tomahawk at Costco before I hit the road. They won’t be open when I like to leave so, the little guy wins this round (again!).
Besides, John the owner is a really nice fellow!
Here’s to the little guy! Plath’s in Rogers City or Petosky is worth a stop if any of you go that direction! Smoked loin spread, smoked fish. The Beans are pretty darned good too, they specialize in smoked pork goods.
Excellent Mettwurst! I will bring three home this year specifically for “Hasselbacking!”

Last edited:
Cool pictures of the grub box! That jog a memory that I did not think I had. When I was in the Boy Scouts, we had some of these boxes on camping trips. I think they were homemade versions though.

Thanks Al for starting this. Chicken just not get better than this. Brine with STPP for 5 hours. Ran lid 400. Spayed with oil after 30. Than cook 20 more.

49015926982_9d02361a81_c.jpg
[/url]20191103_163425 by Brian Trommater, on Flickr[/IMG]

49015927172_edb2dd4db5_c.jpg
[/url]20191103_163430 by Brian Trommater, on Flickr[/IMG]

49015927837_c384687644_c.jpg
[/url]20191103_170232 by Brian Trommater, on Flickr[/IMG]

49015928107_203c1c03d5_c.jpg
[/url]20191103_175820 by Brian Trommater, on Flickr[/IMG]

Brian, what’s STPP?
I’m thinking about some pickle juice brine on thighs, about noon, then following the dry, wet, dry breading method for dinner! On my Wisconsin visit in the near future, I am considering packing the “Vortex”, if tomorrows thighs are as good as I hope, it is a certainty!

Brian, what’s STPP?
I’m thinking about some pickle juice brine on thighs, about noon, then following the dry, wet, dry breading method for dinner! On my Wisconsin visit in the near future, I am considering packing the “Vortex”, if tomorrows thighs are as good as I hope, it is a certainty!

Sodium triphosphate. It helps meat with moisture retention. Probably works better with injection but thought would try in brine.

Reigniting this thread as I found it very informative for making KFC, kettle fried chicken.

Will try to source the Louisiana Chicken batter this week and give this a go.

Thanks to the many contributors who built this thread. It’s a very thorough and well documented thread in grilling up some “fried” chicken.

Seen a few references to grill fried chicken and keep telling myself to do some. Now I definitely will. Those drumsticks got me drooling on the keyboard.

I have been wanting to give this a shot - We didn't have the magic dust at our local store, so I ordered a box from Amazon. I started by brining up a few packages of thighs for about 6 hours:

52619695540_309a00f6bf_c_d.jpg

Reviewing the ingredients on the box, there really isn't anything too horrible in there which leads to the possibility of reverse engineering the stuff down the road at some point. This would allow for some tinkering of the spices and most certainly the salt content - which is pretty high - I guess that would be expected with something like this.

I followed the directions on the box - dredging followed by dusting...

52618749697_95eb333433_c_d.jpg

ready to go:

52619746103_e2aa16da89_c_d.jpg

I used a Vortex and an overfilled chimney of briquets - on they go...

52618750087_0b19d28907_c_d.jpg

This is after about 20 minutes - I gently pried them up with a spatula and gave them a half spin - They were beginning to harden up on top but still a little wiggly on the bottom.

52618749052_1169af538f_c_d.jpg

I flipped them once at about 35 minutes and let them go for another 20 minutes or so and then flipped them back - this is about at hour. They were ready to go.

52619261566_23ccd5f68f_c_d.jpg

..and sort of a weird plated shot - sorry about that- Over all it was good.. it works, and its easy - I'd like to try to make my own mix to tone down the salt, spice it up a bit, as well as and get rid of the MSG -

a big thanks to the original poster and to all who have kept this thread alive.... A very cool concept!

52618749342_9617c9c726_c_d.jpg

I have been wanting to give this a shot - We didn't have the magic dust at our local store, so I ordered a box from Amazon. I started by brining up a few packages of thighs for about 6 hours:

52619695540_309a00f6bf_c_d.jpg

Reviewing the ingredients on the box, there really isn't anything too horrible in there which leads to the possibility of reverse engineering the stuff down the road at some point. This would allow for some tinkering of the spices and most certainly the salt content - which is pretty high - I guess that would be expected with something like this.

I followed the directions on the box - dredging followed by dusting...

52618749697_95eb333433_c_d.jpg

ready to go:

52619746103_e2aa16da89_c_d.jpg

I used a Vortex and an overfilled chimney of briquets - on they go...

52618750087_0b19d28907_c_d.jpg

This is after about 20 minutes - I gently pried them up with a spatula and gave them a half spin - They were beginning to harden up on top but still a little wiggly on the bottom.

52618749052_1169af538f_c_d.jpg

I flipped them once at about 35 minutes and let them go for another 20 minutes or so and then flipped them back - this is about at hour. They were ready to go.

52619261566_23ccd5f68f_c_d.jpg

..and sort of a weird plated shot - sorry about that- Over all it was good.. it works, and its easy - I'd like to try to make my own mix to tone down the salt, spice it up a bit, as well as and get rid of the MSG -

a big thanks to the original poster and to all who have kept this thread alive.... A very cool concept!

52618749342_9617c9c726_c_d.jpg
Peter that looks mighty fine to me. Forget the eggs for dredging and use Miracle Dip. It works great for everything that gets a batter or dusting for good sticking. Adds no additional flavor. Good for your meal to stick to your squash and okra for frying. Mixes with water. AF7F1372-FE76-4793-82C7-B69711EE82D4.jpeg

Back