Just threw some spares on....

Dwain, thanks man. I was solely going by the bend test and timing not knowing any better for the first time.
I followed these instructions to the T and was highly disappointed. But I'm not through trying.

http://kruskis.com/smoking-amazing-ribs-with-a-weber-smokey-mountain-wsm/

His method looks like a winner. This might have been the issue: in the photos he showed baby backs. They get done a bit sooner -- about 4.5 to 5 hrs. Spares take about 6 hrs. They're from a tougher part of the critter. I've even had one of three racks (my normal haul) take longer than the other two after various cks for tenderness. I've found the probe/toothpick test to be the most reliable out side using a Thermapen. Best part: you get to try again! Good luck my friend.

Those ribs look perfectly fine to me also
icon14.png

On a side note: what does it take for a pork related topic to remain in this sub forum without getting moved somewhere else. I don't understand and it's not just my posts. Thanks for everyone's response. I'm learning.
where are your posts being moved to??

Jim, they get moved from the "pork sub-forum" to here, the photo forum. No big deal, just wondering why.
Thanks everyone for the advice on making them right. Wish I had some to try today.

Jim, they get moved from the "pork sub-forum" to here, the photo forum. No big deal, just wondering why.

Neil, it took me a second to figure that one out, but I checked and saw your thread had been moved from the "pork recipes" section. I am not 100% sure but I think that is for threads that are posting full recipes for other people to use. I think you will get more views and responses here in photo gallery anyhow

Last edited:
They looked good Neil. I always foil mine when I get the color I'm looking for which is honestly the color of the ribs in your pictures. I put some agave, honey or margarine with some brown sugar on the foil, place the rack meat side down into that mixture (no need to mix it though) and wrap them tight. I place them back on the cooker bone side down in the foil and check them every 30 minutes.

Sorry it didn't turn out the way you wanted but you'll get there.

They looked good Neil. I always foil mine when I get the color I'm looking for which is honestly the color of the ribs in your pictures. I put some agave, honey or margarine with some brown sugar on the foil, place the rack meat side down into that mixture (no need to mix it though) and wrap them tight. I place them back on the cooker bone side down in the foil and check them every 30 minutes.

Sorry it didn't turn out the way you wanted but you'll get there.
Thanks Mike. I was solely going by the bend test. I learned from you guys spares go longer and I'm foiling next time for sure. It was fun no matter what. Ill use the bark for seasoning.

Thanks Mike. I was solely going by the bend test. I learned from you guys spares go longer and I'm foiling next time for sure. It was fun no matter what. Ill use the bark for seasoning.

Hi Neil, I'm with you on the "greasy," and I've tried foiled and not foiled with no real effect on the grease. I've found the St. Louis cuts I've gotten to have much more fat on them than the baby backs do and this is probably the reason that has me preferring baby backs at the moment.

Maybe smoking at a higher temp will eliminate some of the grease? Perhaps one of he gents here will comment with their experiences?

One little thing I've learned about ribs is that no matter how you trim 'em up, they always need attention. Since I don't do competition, I'm not too fussy about how the stuff looks. I am always looking for flavor though. What I usually do is peel off the membranes as best as I can, and mebbe trim off that skirt of nice meat on the inside of the ribs. Dry 'em off with a paper towel, then load with dry rub. I've found that a little smoke goes a long way. Too much heat from the fire and plain wood almost guarantees that you get a creosote flavor all over the meat. Foiling may or may not be a good thing, depending on how much fat is left in the meat when you do it.

Think of it this way. The idea behind foiling is to braise the ribs in aromatic juices. A little fat is nice, and really tasty too. If you foil the meat into a closed pouch, and if there is still a lot of fat to be rendered out, you might end up doing more or less a frying process instead. The juices will get cooked out, any solids left will get burned onto the foil and the whole affair might become a very well done mess. Sauce at this point is basically useless because the meat is all dried out.

Something I do at times is to cut the rib racks down the middle after a couple hours in the cooker. The thinner section gets the foil treatment, and the big fat section gets finished without foil. I usually turn & baste the unfoiled sections often. Once I think the ribs are done, I'll open up any foil then give 'em a final saucing, or add some dry rub as the situation warrants. I've been known to do both as well.

Oh yeah, forgot to ask what temp you cooked at? I've been 225-250 with the St. Louis and I think the heat is too low to render out the fat (wsm holds its steady temp so well).

Next time I try St. Louis, I'm gonna go around 300 degrees and see if that does the trick.

Have a look at pitmaster t's video and fast forward right to the 7minute mark. Pay attention to the temps he hits, "bend" and "stick" test. I'm gonna try this to the t next St. Louis rack, and why not? Pitmaster t has it going on.

I cooked right at 250 for four hours. Bend test said done. Should have thrown them back on. Had plenty of lump leftover.

I cooked right at 250 for four hours. Bend test said done. Should have thrown them back on. Had plenty of lump leftover.

Ok, so about the same as me. I'm gonna try the higher heat and see what's up. Ill let you know how I make out (since we both agree that the grease needs to go away).

Finished product...... Not to impressed.

image-1_zpsa051f5f1.jpg

They've got a pretty color, but yes, I can see that the bark is quite thick and dry. Notice the pullback on the ends of the slab, though. Maybe someone already pointed this out and I missed it, but that's because the ends were hanging out past the edge of the pan and cooking faster than the middle of the rack. Well, since there's no discernible pullback to the middle, that means the rack isn't completely done yet, hence the grease left in the meat and little grease in the pan. If I was smoking only one rack in an 18.5", I'd suggest rolling and skewering OR cutting the rack in half so the ends don't hang out past the pan. Regarding the thick and leathery bark, I don't get that with my st. Louis ribs. I target 250* as well and don't foil them either, but I use water in the pan and find it makes a big difference with how the bark forms on ribs. Still though, it might be that you prefer comp-style foiled ribs. In that case I'd stick to the dry pan. Regarding the flipping, I really don't think it's worth the trouble unless you foil as well.

The rib looks great. Did you try the toothpick test? If it goes through smoothly it's done. Also you do not have enough bone exposure. I use the bend test in conjunction with the toothpick test. Sometimes the bark will break and you see white meat. It can be deceiving, the rib has to bend a lot. Sometime the rib may break if its too done or off the bone, that's why I use the toothpick, no need to lift the rib. The reason why you have so much grease and the bark feel like leather is due to the fact that you did not let enough of the fat and connective tissues render to form collagen. That would juice it up. It needed more time. Just my .02 cents.

Last edited:
Richard, I didn't do the toothpick test just the bend test. I agree the timing should have been longer.

His method looks like a winner. This might have been the issue: in the photos he showed baby backs. They get done a bit sooner -- about 4.5 to 5 hrs. Spares take about 6 hrs. They're from a tougher part of the critter. I've even had one of three racks (my normal haul) take longer than the other two after various cks for tenderness. I've found the probe/toothpick test to be the most reliable out side using a Thermapen. Best part: you get to try again! Good luck my friend.

Hey Neil the website you linked to was mine, first off thanks for reading my method and using it. I think Dwain hit the nail on the head on the potential root cause for your smoke. He noticed that I was describing cooking baby backs, and that a longer smoke may have provided you with amazing ribs. I did mention in the article that I do not think bigger is better when it comes to ribs. I prefer to smoke 2-3# slabs, but I did leave out text about baby backs, or a warning that spares will take longer and perhaps give a false positive on the bend test. I will edit my article to help others that may read it in the future

The "bend test" I documented with photos and text works well but nothing is absolute. I think that a heavier slab of ribs (i.e. St Louis trimmed spares) could yield a large bend and mislead you to think the meat was tender and done. Also not placing the tongs far enough onto the slab or lifting the slab to quickly could cause a false positive. I am sorry your ribs were not amazing, but I hope you are willing to give my method another shot with some sub 3# baby backs some time.

Last edited:
Gotta tell ya one thing...Im far from a ribmaster. But they look great to me for a dry rib. If the trimming off the excess dident help. I would change the temp to 275,Let em rip for well amost the same time. Or change the meat supplier. Dont know were you got those from but try another dealer. They should not be "greasy" if done well.(and starting with a good rib is the key)

Back