Just picked up this redhead

Jim Owen

TVWBB Fan
It is in way better shape than I thought it would be. All the wood is in excellent condition, it has nearly new stainless steel flavorizer bars and burners.It says it is LP only (which I want), but it has a long hose with a quick connect. It is from a guy who moved and the real estate agent was there. She said there was no NG available at the house so I guess it must be set up for LP. Why would someone set uGoing to clean it up and refinish the wood. I am not flipping it, but will use it for myself. I think its a Genesis 2. I really like the redheads with the wood working spaces.

1601313923488.png

1601313955284.png

1601313981664.png

1601314016562.png

1601314049945.png

1601314076329.png

1601314099177.png

1601314128786.png

1601314159690.png

It looks like its all there. The warmer rack is super rusty, and it came with enamel covered sheat metal grates that don't look great, but seems like a great deal for $15 and a short drive. The frame looks like it is in great shape as well, the metal holding the wood together needs rehab, but is still servicable.

Winner winner chicken dinner! You got a great deal for $15, clean that puppy up and get some grillin goin.

That's a beauty! Looks like it has the older style igniter button. Does anyone know when they changed to the newer style?
I'd guess around 1990?
Gerry

What do people use for the finish on the wood for these. I would like to bring them down to bare wood and then use spar varnish, but will heat be too much for it especially the handle? All of the original wood is in good condition, but I don't like the red stain. I like wood grain to be apparent.

Several people have used Spar Urethane and I haven't seen any reports of it failing due to heat.
I agree, I like the natural wood grain as well.

Minwax 630510444 Water Based Helmsman Spar Urethane, quart, Semi-Gloss

Attachments

• Spar Urethane.jpg
    Spar Urethane.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 13
Slowly working on my redhead. I know the large tray is unobtainium except for from donor grills, what do people do to refresh them. There is light surface rust here and there on mine. Do people use rust restorer and high heat paint or just clean them up as good as possible? Have to start sanding all the wood slats and handle next. I'm also missing the crossbar and plastic bit on the end of the rod that connects to the crossbar to hold up the folding table. Thinking about fabricating something.
1019202242b.jpg1019202242.jpg1019202242a.jpg

Not sure about the proper technique of restoring the grease tray. but yours does not to seem to be in to bad of shape. Try an all purpose cleaner on it and see how that does. I plan on using Super Clean on mine.

Attachments

• Super Clean.jpeg
    Super Clean.jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1
A little more progress. From what the slats looked like, after sanding and then one wet coat of spar urethane. He original grease catch pan looks awfully good for being over 30 years old. It is surprisingly heavy. What do you guys think about the slats. Should I stick with these or go new cedar. I like having the original wood, but it shows it's age.1020201905.jpg1020201904a.jpg1020202023.jpg1020202023a.jpg1020201904.jpg

What do you guys think about the slats. Should I stick with these or go new cedar. I like having the original wood, but it shows it's age.
Aren't we all (showing our age)?

I think the original wood has character, but new wood pops. It's hard to go wrong with those two choices, so it's your personal preference. My vote is for the original wood because I like a grill with history.

Aren't we all (showing our age)?

I think the original wood has character, but new wood pops. It's hard to go wrong with those two choices, so it's your personal preference. My vote is for the original wood because I like a grill with history.
I'm leaning towards keeping as much of the original as I can. If not why have an old grill besides of course they are better than new ones.

Back