Just hit the stall - Brisket

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
It's just after noon here, 12# packer has been on since 7am. In the mid 150's now. I'm going to foil it at 160F.

Hit the stall just after 150F. Stopped dead then dropped a few degrees. Using a Stoker so watching closely online. Going to use the Texas Crutch to eat before nightfall.

Probably a good idea. That shall can be brutal! You'll be surprised how fast the temperature goes up after you wrap. Post pics!

Ive just ruined my brisket.
Tried to smoke w/o foiling or BP.
It went at 250F for 12 hours then I wrapped in BP (I was really warried).
Tooooooo late!
It was 175F and 3 hours later it was 199F.
Pulled off. It was rigid like and did not giggling at all.
Let it rest over the counter for 30' then wrapped in blankets till dinner.
AWFUL. HORRIBLE.
Really really dry!
Next time i'll foil or wrapp MUCH earlier.

Tooooooo late!
AWFUL. HORRIBLE.
Really really dry!

Can you post any pics of the slices ? Believe it or not, I think there's a pretty good chance that you undercooked it. Was it dry and tough ? Or dry and crumbling apart ?

It's just after noon here, 12# packer has been on since 7am. In the mid 150's now. I'm going to foil it at 160F.

Hit the stall just after 150F. Stopped dead then dropped a few degrees. Using a Stoker so watching closely online. Going to use the Texas Crutch to eat before nightfall.

Just out of curiousity, why are you waiting til 160 to foil ?

Tooooooo late!
AWFUL. HORRIBLE.
Really really dry!

Enrico, I always wrap between 160 and 170. 175 is fine to wrap at. When you wrap add a shot or two (1/4 cup) of beef broth and beef bullion (50/50 mix) and a few dashes of your rub mixed in. Make sure you simmer it first. bump your cooker up to 275. One thing I learned with brisket is, don't go by temp when it comes to finishing. It's done when it gets the jiggle. I've had wagyu's go as high as 218 and that was during a comp. Talk about freaking out. Once done, just crack the top of the foil/BP and vent it down to 180ish. Rewrap with fresh foil and add 1/8 to 1/4 of the drippings depending on the size of the packer. Then rest for an hour in a cambro or cooler. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Just out of curiousity, why are you waiting til 160 to foil ?

I can't speak for him but I wait until later so bark can form. Generally during the stall is when a lot of that happens. I've done brisket wrapped in foil, wrapped in butcher paper and unwrapped.

I'm really liking the butcher paper lately.

I can't speak for him but I wait until later so bark can form. Generally during the stall is when a lot of that happens. I've done brisket wrapped in foil, wrapped in butcher paper and unwrapped.

I'm really liking the butcher paper lately.

I get the wrapping in foil or butcher paper. Just kind of strange to me that people do it at a specific temp instead of once the bark reaches a certain color/texture, or at the start of the stall to help power through it.

I get the wrapping in foil or butcher paper. Just kind of strange to me that people do it at a specific temp instead of once the bark reaches a certain color/texture, or at the start of the stall to help power through it.

Obviously that makes the most sense. The stall temp will vary based on a number of factors so just picking a set temp probably isn't ideal and its probably kind of arbitrary. Picking a set time makes just as much sense as that. I often go by "Oh no I'm running out of time I need to hurry this thing up!" I like the taste of an unwrapped brisket the best probably, but I prefer the moisture of a wrapped brisket. It just depends on your goal with wrapping. Ideally you'd probably do as you say and make sure your bark is set.

Sorry Dave. I was offline for a while. The 160F is really just an arbitrary number that I've seen posted and printed a few times. I figure that the meat should have had enough time to catch some smoke and bark up around then. This one finished pretty well. I'm actually having leftover chili I made from the remains (from the freezer) tomorrow night. The brisket really adds some nice smoke flavour to a chili.

Back