Just bought a total time saver

Seriously, you test for gas leaks with a lighter?
Yes. Been doing it for 30 years. I have someone by the valve if not close by and usually a fire extinguisher with in reach. Usually the flames are very small if there is a leak especially with pipe. This one in the hose was a large one but could not see it. The owner was by the valve.

Joe, I guess you never met Darwin. LOL. Any way, I would like to hear that you have purchased one of these detectors.

I've used a lighter myself. Just did want to bother due to it being outside and breezes can cause flame deflection and such. Back in the day we used a butane torch with a hose near the venturi. Which would pull air into the flame. We used this to check for AC leaks as R12 would turn the flame green

I have two of these also. They work great. I keep moving the gas valves when going past the stove. They are potential life savers and have already gone off a couple of times.
I had a gas stove in the first house I owned and use to inadvertently turn the gas on all the time somehow. I also had little kids that could have easily turned the knobs as well. I got rid of the gas stove for an electric one pretty quickly. I just didn't feel good about it in the house.

I love my gas stove. Nothing fancy, just gas.
I grew up wth gas.... and lived with electric stoves from about '88 to somewhere around '16 (both resistance coil and infrared ceramic.) We picked up a factory second, relative basic gas stove, and I'm quite happy with it.

Yes, getting knobs turned accidentally is always a concern, and especially with youngsters. There are models with controls mounted on the backsplash specifically to reduce those incidents. Personally, I don't care to reach over hot pots & pans to turn knobs, and we don't have young'uns running around.

Yeah, had to deal with electric a while in a condo I lived in. HATED it. IDK how induction would be. I am told it's the closest to gas you can get with electric. But, was raised around gas, raised our own 2 around it, and now going on helping raise 3 grandchildren around it

Larry, you say that as an Illinois resident. Behind California and NY, Illinois would probably be next state to start pushing people off gas appliances.

IDK how induction would be.
My g/f picked up an induction hob a while back from a gift catalog. Actually..... as long as you have magnetic cookware, they're not bad. Cast iron works pretty darned good, I've used it to saute mushrooms when I just didn't have room on the stove top. It definitely takes getting used to, that's for sure. A couple of my sibs have converted to induction ranges and they're quite happy.

IDK how induction would be. I am told it's the closest to gas you can get with electric.
Ive used it before and it takes a bit to get used to but if I ever did switch from gas. I'd go induction over electric as they solve the biggest issue imo of electric which is temp management. I hate how slow electric take to heat up and cool down. With inductuion its is pretty much instant when changing the temp

I thought about induction but #1 they are the most expensive. #2 They will not work with our 35 year old Saladmaster Stainless cookware that are still like new. #3 Don't work in a blackout. I had the house done up with propane outlets for stove, dryer, fireplace, porch grills and generator, and basement and garage standalone heaters. A guy has got to be prepared. At just over a year old our heat pump just went out. If it were winter I would hate to be cold;-)

I thought about induction but #1 they are the most expensive. #2 They will not work with our 35 year old Saladmaster Stainless cookware that are still like new. #3 Don't work in a blackout. I had the house done up with propane outlets for stove, dryer, fireplace, porch grills and generator, and basement and garage standalone heaters. A guy has got to be prepared. At just over a year old our heat pump just went out. If it were winter I would hate to be cold;-)
Joe, wouldn't it have been simpler to have a whole house generator that is hooked up to NG? Don't get me wrong, the propane hookups sound interesting. I would probably like to know about that too.

Detector arrived overnight and I'm happy to report no leaks.

Regarding induction, we love it. We bought an induction hot plate while remodeling the kitchen and I still use it for frying on the deck. Far better control than the Weber side burner.

A old friend had worked for Consumers power and he used to check for leaks with a lighter too! It always surprised me but,he lived many years using basic concepts in his life. I miss Geno!

A old friend had worked for Consumers power and he used to check for leaks with a lighter too! It always surprised me but,he lived many years using basic concepts in his life. I miss Geno!
And then (I don't recall how many years ago it happened) there had been this restaurant in Skokie or Evanston IL. They noted a gas smell. Plumber went in the basement to check it out and IIRC the news story correctly used a lighter to trace for a leaky pipe. He was in the basement. The explosion blew the entire building off the foundation and set it back down about 45 deg off. Pretty powerful. You would think with that much gas he would have gotten out of there first and shut the main off. Likely had some kind of nasal issue not allowing him to smell? IDK but I remember the story quite well LOL

Back