Jumbo Mini aka the Jimmy hanging a bone in butt

KeithFWI

TVWBB Fan
I don't know if some of you remember but a couple of years ago I made a smoker out of a Jumbo Joe using a 80 Qt SS stock pot. It's been a really good smoker, probably one of the best I've owned. A while back I started to see how hanging meats would do in it and used different setups.

I have a cook that I want to do 4 butts hanging start to finish soon so i did a practice cook doing 1 butt. It's not the normal setup but it worked really well. I hooked it 4 times under and around the bone. Rebar was just laid on top and I kept a diffuser in on the bottom to catch some fat and protect it because the plan was to cook it hot and fast with no foiling. I also wanted a safety net to catch it from a cave man sear! Cooked 425* for only 5 hours

This was I believe 3-4 hours in

This was right before pulling at the 5 hour mark, the bone was really showing. Internal temp was 197*

Hung with these homemade hooks

Here's some of the pull

Last edited:
That pork looks great Keith. It looks very moist. How did you mange the rods so you could close the lid on your Jimmy?

Regards,

John

Killer cook Keith. I gotta make me some hangers like yours
So easy to do. I posted below how i did it.

That pork looks great Keith. It looks very moist. How did you mange the rods so you could close the lid on your Jimmy?

Regards,

John
It sits right on top of the rebar. It works fantastic, i can't believe it. The heat stays solid and it get's a great convection...even heat distribution inside.

Looks as it worked pretty good, meat looks delicious
Thanks Craig

Looks great Keith.
Thanks!

Great looking pull shot. Looks so juicy and delicious
Thanks it was very good and it was moist. The H&F hanging cook works great.

Nicely done. How did you make the hooks?
It was really easy. I just got some of steel round rod from Menards...a big home improvement. Then just clipped them each about 8" (If you bend around a pipe or something to make the perfect bend then go 9-10") Bend the side to hang then bend a longer portion for the meat hanging side at 45 degrees to that. They make great hooks

Back