July 4th weekend.

Jo Torez

TVWBB Super Fan
I read somewhere that the 4th of July is like the Super Bowl of BBQ. What's everyone cooking for our Super Bowl?

<thinking out loud> I think I might do a brisket and some other stuff. It's been a while since I've made one. Hmm what else would go good that's simple and a no brainer.

Last edited:
I am having a 4th of July party/1 year old birthday party. We have about 25 guests and I will be smoking pork shoulder.

Since my wife's birthday is July 5, I am thinking brisket packer since she prefers beef instead of pork. If I want pork, I do it myself. Since I have 2 pork butts in the freezer, I will put on in the bottom rack so I don't waste fuel. Good deal for me.

Spares are traditionally cooked every 4th here...
this year, we'll add farmfresh chicken.

What the heck are you thinking Jim don't you know chicken is healthy food. Chicken on the 4th good grief:p

Never mind the past statement Jim, Barb just informed me we're having chicken on the 4th too. Good lord I've created a monster!

Last edited:
What the heck are you thinking Jim don't you know chicken is healthy food. Chicken on the 4th good grief:p
Never mind the past statement Jim, Barb just informed me we're having chicken on the 4th too. Good lord I've created a monster!
Open mouth, insert bird.
Not going to talk about my grilled tofu cook on the 4th.

I have to work the 3rd, and the 4th is usually spent on the lake. We're having lots of friends over Sunday, gonna show the nascar race on the outdoor screen and light up the sky for all the kids in the neighborhood. We know we are gonna put some kind of meat on the smoker, and lots of beer on ice, the menu just hasn't been finalized quite yet!
Tim

I just remembered,I have a chunk of brisket in the freezer. We just might thaw that sucker out and see what happens!

Going camping, fishing in the mountains for the weekend. Too hot in the city. Planning on smoking some ribs on the jumbo joe.

Staying home, my dad will come out for the day. The wife requested steak, sides will be macaroni salad, coleslaw, beans & rolls.
Blue & Myles want ice cream for desert.

Grilled Chicken is BIG in these parts...
I asked about 10 guys at work if they're grilling and those that answered yes, 6 said chicken, two brats, one said burgers and an odd ball said salmon.
never would THINK of grilling fish on the 4th unless I lived on the ocean side.

If you asked 10 guys in the St Louis area what they're grilling for the 4th, twelve of them would say pork steaks.
This guy included.

Have several people coming over Sunday, smash burgers have really become popular here as of late. No set plans as of yet, I just told everyone that all the grills are open and ready, so bring what ever you want!!
Happy 4th to all!
Tim

Okay I tried to weasel out of cooking the chicken...Failed. So I offered to do some ribs and BBQ beans along with the chicken... winner winner ribs for diner.

And yes Jim we do a lot of chicken too as of today I have 28 bone in thighs and 3 whole chickens and 12 chicken breast in the freezer. So on the 4th I wanted something I don't do a lot of. Life is good now.

Happy 4th to all of the great people here on the forum and too our armed forces who are out there making sure we continue to enjoy the wonderful freedom we have in this great country.

Back